Splashing Hands Kung Fu

mikeXedge

White Belt
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone else out there has trained in splashing hands kung fu... if so i would like to compare training methods... to see how closely the direct teachings are being followed...

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone else out there has trained in splashing hands kung fu... if so i would like to compare training methods... to see how closely the direct teachings are being followed...

never heard of it , maybe if you found some info on this style.....as i (and maybe other members of the forum) would like to find out more about it

chris

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have heard of it but never trained in it.
from what I understand, it is a "southern soft hand" style of internal martial arts that is very similiar to wing chun

sounds fascinating

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
This reminds me of a story my sensei told my class to help us understand the point of kata. There once was a man who trained with the Shaolin Monks. For the first year of his "martial arts" training was to fill a large bucket with water, and carry it to a court yard. He would then use a downward palm strike, and splash all the water out of the bucket. After a year he went back to his house for... vacation I suppose. His mother said "my, you must be learning alot of kung fu my son". In reply the man shouted "all I've doing is splashing water out of a bucket!!!" followed by him doing a downward palm strike to the family table. Which then became kindling.
Take it how you like.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not train it nor do I know all that much about it, but is this the style your are talking about?
http://www.answers.com/topic/splashing-hands

Interesting link. It states that Splashing Hands was done by the Shaolin Temple Guards.

Another story states that Shaolin Lohan was the art practiced by the Shaolin temple guards. Amazing how everyone wants their art to be traced to someone famous...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting link. It states that Splashing Hands was done by the Shaolin Temple Guards.

Another story states that Shaolin Lohan was the art practiced by the Shaolin temple guards. Amazing how everyone wants their art to be traced to someone famous...

Yes it is very interesting indeed.

I just read another article on this that does not even mention Shaolin.

http://www.usadojo.com/styles/about-kung-fu-styles.htm

Toward the bottom of the page

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread moved to CMA-General to help generate a better response.

Lisa Deneka
MT Super Moderator

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the style so I can't tell if this is real or a fake....

Wow, I doubt thats real. If its a form, it is a strange sort of kung fu that does not encourage strong stances, if it is a drill, then he is learning how not to kick...

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, I doubt thats real. If its a form, it is a strange sort of kung fu that does not encourage strong stances, if it is a drill, then he is learning how not to kick...

There are actually a lot of things in Chinese martial arts that we in the West have never seen. Things that we might think goes against common sense in fighting. But they understand how to use it very effectively.

This video clip is somewhat similart to White Ape, in that it throws a lot of fast, seemingly random and odd strikes. But in truth, this kind of thing can be extremely difficult to deal with if you are on the receiving end.

I don't know anything about Splashing Hands, and cannot judge whether this guy was providing a good example or a poor example. I'm just saying that you shouldn't discount something simply because is doesn't follow your own notions of what makes sense.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a clip of Tong Bei, White Ape style. I think there are some stylistic similarities with the Splashing Hands clip.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are actually a lot of things in Chinese martial arts that we in the West have never seen. Things that we might think goes against common sense in fighting. But they understand how to use it very effectively.

This video clip is somewhat similart to White Ape, in that it throws a lot of fast, seemingly random and odd strikes. But in truth, this kind of thing can be extremely difficult to deal with if you are on the receiving end.

I don't know anything about Splashing Hands, and cannot judge whether this guy was providing a good example or a poor example. I'm just saying that you shouldn't discount something simply because is doesn't follow your own notions of what makes sense.

What he said, just watch a Monkey Fist or a Drunken Monkey stylist.

Here is a clip of Tong Bei, White Ape style. I think there are some stylistic similarities with the Splashing Hands clip.

Thank You for posting that.

My first CMA Sifu use to do Tong Bei and it was very cool to watch and I had not seen it in a long time.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My first CMA Sifu use to do Tong Bei and it was very cool to watch and I had not seen it in a long time.

I had a chance to see a guy do some Tong Bei at a tournament. Just bizarre. I don't think I could learn to do it well, but he was so erratic and unpredictable it was really kind of neat. Not at all pretty, kind of looks like a guy having a seizure while chasing butterflies. But I just had to admit, being on the receiving end would be tough!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had a chance to see a guy do some Tong Bei at a tournament. Just bizarre. I don't think I could learn to do it well, but he was so erratic and unpredictable it was really kind of neat. Not at all pretty, kind of looks like a guy having a seizure while chasing butterflies. But I just had to admit, being on the receiving end would be tough!

I like this description "looks like a guy having a seizure while chasing butterflies."

It seemed to me that it would be rather confusing to try and defend against. He did say some of the moves were exactly for that, cause confusion or distraction in your opponent.

He didn't say the following this is just my interpretation. They look at your foot and you hit them with your fistt, they look at your arms moving and BANG..boot to the head.

I never did learn it; as a matter of fact I do not think he ever taught it to anyone. But the clip you posted brought back a lot of good memories, thanks again.

OP
M

mikeXedge

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not train it nor do I know all that much about it, but is this the style your are talking about?
http://www.answers.com/topic/splashing-hands

that video is a variation of the splashing hands i train in... if i were to let my hands get that far away from my body my sifu would have a fit though... splashing hands is an in fighting style... you are never supposed to step back... always move forward... and once you throw the first strike you are not supposed to stop no matter what... if they block your strikes you just keep going... if they throw strikes you just keep going... my sifu doesnt use sashs or belts but originally from white sash to brown sash you only learned 10 sets called browns... and class is based mostly on pracitcing the sets on eachother full contactn your only gear is a cup... once you get to brown belt you re learn the browns backwards with more focus on internal... you also learn the five animal form... i haven't gotten that far yet... but it is a very effective brutal style... i noticed someone made fun of his kicks... his kicks are how i my sifu teachs kicks... you never kick above the belt... only to the legs and groin... there are some face stomps in the higher browns... but that is for when your oppenent is on the ground, classic shaolin over kill ha ha... the only kick really emphasized in class is the straight leg kick... which is made primarly to hit the attacker in the nuts... and lift them off the ground... my sifu told me the story of the shaolin guards using it... modern splashing hands is a mix between classic splashing hands with a little choy le fut and lima lama... Haumea F. Lefiti is who brought it to the U.S. and my instructor was one of the 7 or 8 that recieved black sash under Haumea F. Lefiti "tiny"... my sifu is launi jacobsen... i doubt you'll find any information on him...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
that video is a variation of the splashing hands i train in... if i were to let my hands get that far away from my body my sifu would have a fit though... splashing hands is an in fighting style... you are never supposed to step back... always move forward... and once you throw the first strike you are not supposed to stop no matter what... if they block your strikes you just keep going... if they throw strikes you just keep going... my sifu doesnt use sashs or belts but originally from white sash to brown sash you only learned 10 sets called browns... and class is based mostly on pracitcing the sets on eachother full contactn your only gear is a cup... once you get to brown belt you re learn the browns backwards with more focus on internal... you also learn the five animal form... i haven't gotten that far yet... but it is a very effective brutal style... i noticed someone made fun of his kicks... his kicks are how i my sifu teachs kicks... you never kick above the belt... only to the legs and groin... there are some face stomps in the higher browns... but that is for when your oppenent is on the ground, classic shaolin over kill ha ha... the only kick really emphasized in class is the straight leg kick... which is made primarly to hit the attacker in the nuts... and lift them off the ground... my sifu told me the story of the shaolin guards using it... modern splashing hands is a mix between classic splashing hands with a little choy le fut and lima lama... Haumea F. Lefiti is who brought it to the U.S. and my instructor was one of the 7 or 8 that recieved black sash under Haumea F. Lefiti "tiny"... my sifu is launi jacobsen... i doubt you'll find any information on him...

It sounds very much like a fighting art from your description. Very likely not to pretty to watch, but effective, I am a big fan of effective.

Thanks

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks for getting involved, good to hear from someone who has experience in the art.

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score

again, it sounds very, very similiar to Wing Chun. we dont kick above the waist, and there are no pretty or flashy movements, its all efficient and brutal.

Someday I would like to get some exposure to this splashing hands...

Latest Discussions