Spider eating, and more

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once in a while, people will ask me why I would have a picture (a doctored one, albeit) of a girl eating a spider. They often times wonder why I would use a doctored picture showing an event that doesn't occur...

Well, here's one reason. Apparently, fried spiders can be a delicacy in certain parts of the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_spider

A fried spider is a regional delicacy of Cambodia. In the small Cambodian town of Skuon, locals eat fried spiders as everyday staple. Spiders are also available elsewhere in Cambodia — in Phnom Penh for instance — but the village of Skuon, a stopover on the road 90 kilometres north of the capital, is the centre of their popularity.[1] The spiders are bred in holes in the ground in villages north of Skuon, or foraged for in nearby forestland, and fried in oil.

the spiders are tossed in a mixture of monosodium glutamate, sugar, and salt; crushed garlic is fried in oil until fragrant, then the spiders are added and fried alongside the garlic until "the legs are almost completely stiff, by which time the contents of the abdomen are not so runny."[5]
The taste is mostly described as bland, with a textural contrast between a crispy exterior and soft centre. The legs contain little flesh, while the head and body have "a delicate white meat inside".[1] The abdomen, however, many find not as pleasant: inside is a brown paste consisting perhaps of organs, eggs, or excrement. Some call it a delicacy while others recommend not eating it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HAPLOPELMA_ALBOSTRIATUM_HEMBRA_ADULTA.jpg

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Didn't sound so bad, until the excrement part. I suppose there isn't an easy way to de-vein them like shrimp?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you eat clams, oysters etc, it's the same. meat n poo, all in one package, LOL

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eewww... I was eating lunch when I opened this.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
eewww... I was eating lunch when I opened this.

You opened this despite the thread title, "Spider eating and more"? What were you expecting? :uhyeah:

And yes, I also ditto Ceicei's :barf:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The legs contain little flesh, while the head and body have "a delicate white meat inside".
Dang, could you imagine how many you would have to catch before you could actually have a meal? geesh! One would be better off with frog legs! :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
DING DING DING ahem... Dinnah is served!

Attachments

• $spiderplateclose.jpg
    $spiderplateclose.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 126

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose cooking the spiders thoroughly will sterilize them to be safe for eating.
Not sure if I will enjoy the taste and texture. Pour on the sugar and garlic please!!

- Ceicei

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose cooking the spiders thoroughly will sterilize them to be safe for eating.
Not sure if I will enjoy the taste and texture. Pour on the sugar and garlic please!!

- Ceicei

I can't imagine eating the "brown paste consisting perhaps of organs, eggs, or excrement" if it hasn't been sterilized. The problem is that you may be cooking the healthful nutrients right out of it.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't imagine eating the "brown paste consisting perhaps of organs, eggs, or excrement" if it hasn't been sterilized. The problem is that you may be cooking the healthful nutrients right out of it.

Then YOU are welcome to eat the spiders raw... I'd like to see you try.

- Ceicei

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would eat it. After the damned spanish lamprey dish, I'd eat anything.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then YOU are welcome to eat the spiders raw... I'd like to see you try.

- Ceicei

It can't be any worse than some of the "Fear Factor" contestants eating LIVE hissing cockroaches. That alone was enough motivation for me to *not* audition for that show. :barf:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:barf:

Ya know... I knew I shouldn't open this thread and look...but it was like a car wreck...I just couldn't help myself. I shoulda known just by who started the thread.

I still scroll up when reading your posts Gren until the picture is gone, I just can't look at your avatar. :(