Speedy footwork (Boxing, Shotokan, TaeKwondo) vs stationary exchanges (Kickboxing, Kyokushin, MT).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. You can mitigate risks with footwork. Rather than say standing and trading you can use space and counter striking which leaves you less in danger of getting stabbed because you are exposed for a smaller amount of time.
it takes half second to stab someone, if your exsposed for half a,second then the risk of being stabbed is exactly the same,

we are of course talking here about people who may or may not have a knife, if they have no kbife the risk is zero, if they have a kbife in their pocket and it stays there the risk is zero,, the longer you evade the greater the chance they will extract the kbife from their pocket,

so evadibg massivly ibcreases the chance of being stabbed

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saenchai isn't the only Muay Thai fighter with good footwork. My favorite is probably Lerdsila:

You are correct that traditionally most MT fighters have tended to use more minimal footwork (not truly stationary, though). As far as crossover to a self-defense context, it depends on the situation. Definitely when weapons are involved I would favor more active footwork.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having watched my fair share of KB and Muay Thai, it's evident that they don't have footwork in their vocabulary...............
I am surprised you said that. I learn Tae Kwon Do for a few years, we use all Kick Boxing type of footwork. Tae Kwon Do footwork is useless, big deep horse stand stepping back and fore, it's totally useless in real fight. I loved my school at the time because we don't practice traditional TKD or Karate footwork and instead more practical footwork.

To me footwork is everything, you add punches and kicks into footwork, but it all start out with footwork. I am learning cane fight, I ADD the cane striking to the footwork, not the other way around.

One thing I do worry, real self defense fight is not like in the ring where the floor is flat and nothing to trip you over. In real fight, there likely to have obstacles on the floor around you( chairs, stairs etc.). You might be forced to stay put and slug it out.

Worst is stepping on something and slip!!!