sparring

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When and how much sparring do you do before a tournament and when do you stop,
like at my school twice a week and the week before a big tournament we do not for the fact we don't want anybody getting hurt.
So what is yours like?
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I train the same way year around. I don't "get ready" for anything. I'm always ready. I train my boys the same way. Tourney training for us is not seasonal. Most of our students, however train extra for about 2 months preceding a major tourney by taking an extra class that's offered just for that event.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When i competed, i trained year round althugh just before a tournament I would focus more on sparring mostly people more experienced and faster than myself (mostly my teacher). My teacher was also great at playing different types of sparrers against me: sometimes he would focus on hands, sometimes feet, sometime blitz while other times play the counter fighter. It forced me to be able to adapt to different types of fighters.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't do full-contact sparring the week before a tournament either. We will still do hogu drills but just pare down the contact.

Miles

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At my gym, we do pretty much the same thing. mainly because we don't anyone to get hurt

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At our school we have what we call our "Elite Team." It is our competition team that trains for competition on the national level. The 1st session goes February-May and there is also a summer session. We practice on Saturdays (when we don't have tournaments)for 3-4 hours and we have class twice a week for an hour where we work hogu drills and some full contact sparring. Same as the rest, we take it a little easy as far as contact the week of a tournament.

LeiDren

White Belt
Reaction score
We generally spar twice a week, at every class, one day without gear, the other in full gear. Every now and then the master will have us wear our gear for the entire class, after which I generally boil my do-bok. We stick to light contact, or three-step sparring, for the week preceding a tourney.

J

jvtkd

We spar every day of the week of the tournament, but we can't hit as hard, making sure no one gets hurt, and we use complete tournament rules/procedure, to get us accustomed to it.