Sparring on a gym floor

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For tournament sparring, do most places have mats or do you end up sparring on a hard wood basketball court a lot?

My feet didn't hurt during my match, but before and after they did.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm kinda out of the sparring circuit now after injury, time off to have a baby, being older now, etc........but in the 90's when I was doing all my tournament work, every tourney I went to was on a basketball-type gym floor- both for kata and sparring.

:asian: :karate:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. Mostly you are going to find tournaments on a gym floor of a high school or something. My first martial arts instructor was the only one I know of that used the wrestling mats and taped off the division rings or squares if you will. I once fought on a racquetball court. Ouch, now that tore up your feet. Learned my lesson and it only happened once.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All USA taekwondo tournaments are on mats. Most tournaments are going to the matted surfaces in the WTF. As far as I can see tournaments will exercise this option more and more with declining rental costs and increasing insurance costs.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Almost all tourneys I've been to are on mats now. The last time I saw a hard wood floor was at West Point in 2001.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
well at most events that are not big there at high schools on basketball floors that are wood very few times i have seen matts for fighting just because it is hard to move on them but when i go to the real big events most of the time there at hotels so we spar on carpet

keep in mind these are open tournaments not just tkd

Latest Discussions