Sparring drills

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sup MT'ers! I was wondering if anyone had so good sparring drills they could recommend. We do a couple at my dojo but I thought it would nice to get some feedback so I can bring a new course to the table so to speak. We can break it down by section like hands, feet, stances etc or just keep it general.

I personally would like to know some drills that might help my footwork , make me quicker as well as give me a solid base so I can throw those powerful kicks.

B

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pick up some Wing chun, or Filiphino drills. They're great for hands. Try to find Tinikling. It's Filiphino folk dance, but alot of old-school Arnis schools have you do it with Siniwali.
Outside that, it's hard to say over the web. Latin dancing is a good way to improve foot work, coordination, sensitivity to your opponent, and a few other things. What depends on the style of dancing, style of martial arts, and inidividaul.

good luck!

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
One drill that I found helpful was full-contact one step sparring. Participants gear up and square off. The attacker positions him-self and measures for a predetermined strike, while the responder prepares with an appropriate counter. The selection of the counter comes by trial and error based on practicality and effectiveness determined by skill level and body type of both the attacker and responder. The key to this drill is that it is done with full speed and power. The attacker should be trying to really hit his partner and know that he's about to be hit. The responder should be aware that if he dose not react in a sufficient time or manner, he will get nailed!
Safety is achieved by both participants wearing protective gear and by knowing exactly what attacks and counters are to be executed. Remember to adhere to the strict etiquette of one step rules. This drill is great for increasing reaction time and improving distancing as well toughening you up.

For foot work, practice transitioning quickly between front stance and back stance. Mix it up by stepping, from your fighting stance, into a front stance with your lead leg or rear leg and then pulling yourself into a back stance. Doing this will allow you to circle your opponent at awkward angles and maintain optimal space. If you land into a front stance it will allow you to quickly attack with a powerful rear leg kick if you pull into a back stance you can throw a fact and precise front leg kick. Practise circling around a bag, cutting sharp angles. When you can do this quickly add kicks.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
any drills that encourage you to step offline, rather than forward and back, will be very helpful. one-step, two-step, further on are all fine. but practice stepping or shuffling off center in response to an attack.

Latest Discussions