sparing different styles

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was just thinking about back when I use to do a lot of sparing against people that trained in styles other than what I was training in. If you have done this was there one person of a particular style that you thought was the best? I am not asking which is the best style just what style did that person train in. I also feel that this is a great addition to any MA training.

I will start off by giving you the top 2 from way back in those days when I trained Tai Chi, Xingyi and a bit of Bagua.

The best by far was a guy that had trained Southern Mantis for 6 years before joining the marines. He spent 4 or 6 years in the Marines where he continued to train Southern mantis and of course whatever he was trained in by the marines.

For number 2 there is a tie; American Kenpo and a guy that I would call MMA due to all of the styles he trained, but he always referred to himself as a Tai Chi practitioner and has for the greater than 10 years that I have known him.

Beowulf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Right now I'm interested in an art that lacks intense sparring.
I'm planning on visiting schools & joining in about a week (after finals).
Their's an reputable school here in SD called Jing Institute that I'm looking forward to visiting.
They teach a lot of the kung fu arts and win a lot of competitions in China and the US I hear.
They also house a Bujinkan class.
Now I'm interested in Bujinkan because the joint locks in Taijutsu seem like they would later mesh well with some cross-training at a Gracie Jiu- Jitsu that is also taught nearby.
So here is the dilema, Bujinkan doesn't do intense sparring, competitive randori (though the old masters used to), but I want to at least after learning the basics.
The jing institute does have some competitive sparring in kung fu styles, and I'm going to see if I can do intense sparring w/ my bujinkan w/ those guys.
Does this sound like a good plan?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Beowulf said:
Right now I'm interested in an art that lacks intense sparring.
I'm planning on visiting schools & joining in about a week (after finals).
Their's an reputable school here in SD called Jing Institute that I'm looking forward to visiting.
They teach a lot of the kung fu arts and win a lot of competitions in China and the US I hear.
They also house a Bujinkan class.
Now I'm interested in Bujinkan because the joint locks in Taijutsu seem like they would later mesh well with some cross-training at a Gracie Jiu- Jitsu that is also taught nearby.
So here is the dilema, Bujinkan doesn't do intense sparring, competitive randori (though the old masters used to), but I want to at least after learning the basics.
The jing institute does have some competitive sparring in kung fu styles, and I'm going to see if I can do intense sparring w/ my bujinkan w/ those guys.
Does this sound like a good plan?

I am not qualified to answer the Bujinkan class questions. and this is not what the post is about, but

Jing Institute
http://www.sdtaichi.com/

I would look into what they are winning in China. They are a Wushu group generally with the exception of Wing Chun. Generally Wushu comitition in China is forms based. Fighting based compititions on China are Sanshou.

Beowulf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No problem about the Bujinkan questions
My real question is that if I'm in a particular MA school that never spars, will sparring against other MA's improve me.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Beowulf said:
No problem about the Bujinkan questions
My real question is that if I'm in a particular MA school that never spars, will sparring against other MA's improve me.

It helped me back way back when I did it.

The school I was at back then did not do much sparing mostly forms. I had a Jujitsu TDK background prior to getting there. While there I started Tai Chi, Xingyi and Bagua.

There were a lot of people there from other schools and styles and the Sifu was nice enough to give us Saturday afternoons to spar with each other. Frankly I thought it helped me considerably and I am happy to have had the chance to do it. But ultimately it all depends on what you want.

Latest Discussions