spacey, stone, scorpions, useful idiots still exist

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celebrating an old commie, these stars still don't understand the true history of communism.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/p...rpions-and-sporty-spice-celebrate-a-dictator/

from the article:

Famous Soviet dissident Vladimir Bukovsky tried to remind London about who they were celebrating. He filed a lawsuit to have Gorbachev arrested for his crimes as Soviet leader. Bukovsky points out that among other things Gorbachev ordered the violent break-up of several demonstrations between 1989-1991 which led to the death of 100 people. But his request was rejected by a London Court on the grounds that Gorbachev was in the UK as part of a “Special Mission” on behalf of the Russian state. The fact is, of course, that he has absolutely no official position in the Russian government.
At a time when everyone is reporting on the alleged demise of the dictator in the Middle East how strange that they celebrate one from a different region and a previous era.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is entirely possible that without the actions of Gorbie, there'd still be a Berlin Wall, with all that that entailed.

Despite the rise of a messier world as a result, those of us who were actually in danger of getting turned into puffs of nuclear vapour when the Cold War turned Hot don't mind a pivotal figure of modern history getting a few plaudits ...

.. for he certainly won't at home. There the Russian analogues of your good self are still pinning to bring back that nice Uncle Joe Stalin.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
That reporter has no earthly clue what he's talking about (except maybe that the Scorpions were wearing spandex) - although I seem to recall they were more on the leather side of heavy metal.

Gorbachev wasn't perfect, but putting down 3 years of political dissidence in the Soviet Union with just 100 deaths practically qualifies him for sainthood. Were you paying attention when Budapest fell? Or when the USSR were the guys hopelessly embroiled in Afghanastan?

I know nothing of his personal motivations, but anybody who's actually knowledgeable about the subject knows this. Gorbachev grew up and rose to power in a certain system with a certain set of assumptions about the world. And he navigated the second most powerful society in the history of the earth through a radical change from that system to something knew - and he did it with about as little government violence as has been seen in that neck of the woods. (The criminal violence is another matter).

I'm all for knocking communism, but enough is enough. When people that ignorant agree with us, it only hurts our cause.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That reporter has no earthly clue what he's talking about (except maybe that the Scorpions were wearing spandex) - although I seem to recall they were more on the leather side of heavy metal.

Gorbachev wasn't perfect, but putting down 3 years of political dissidence in the Soviet Union with just 100 deaths practically qualifies him for sainthood. Were you paying attention when Budapest fell? Or when the USSR were the guys hopelessly embroiled in Afghanastan?

I know nothing of his personal motivations, but anybody who's actually knowledgeable about the subject knows this. Gorbachev grew up and rose to power in a certain system with a certain set of assumptions about the world. And he navigated the second most powerful society in the history of the earth through a radical change from that system to something knew - and he did it with about as little government violence as has been seen in that neck of the woods. (The criminal violence is another matter).

I'm all for knocking communism, but enough is enough. When people that ignorant agree with us, it only hurts our cause.

Not to mention that he navigated himself out of a cushy job. he had, after all, a lifetime position when he assumed his office.