south-east-asian chinese styles

K

krys

Hello there,

I am new on this thread but practice fmas and Wing Chun and am interested in oversea chinese martial arts...
Is somebody here on southeast asian chinese martial arts?
Kuntao, Ngo Cho Kun, Goshoka.....
Can you say something about your style?

Thanks,
Christian.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by krys
Hello there,

I am new on this thread but practice fmas and Wing Chun and am interested in oversea chinese martial arts...
Is somebody here on southeast asian chinese martial arts?
Kuntao, Ngo Cho Kun, Goshoka.....
Can you say something about your style?

Thanks,
Christian.

I train in Kuntao Silat de Thouars.

"Can you say something about your style?"

Umm ... I enjoy it (and the others that I train in). ;)

Can you be more specific? I'm not sure I can answer all (or any) of your questions, but I'll try ... or I'll call my instructor and ask him :)

Mike

OP
K

krys

Hello pesilat.
I once read a book about your kuntao silat style .

There was nothing on footwork or weapons in it...

How are footwork and weapons trained in your system ?

I understand that you learn some foot-trapping drills, I appreciate this a lot, is there a tape with these drills around?

Thanks,
Christian.

mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello pesilat.
I once read a book about your kuntao silat style .

There was nothing on footwork or weapons in it...

How are footwork and weapons trained in your system ?

I understand that you learn some foot-trapping drills, I appreciate this a lot, is there a tape with these drills around?

Thanks,
Christian.

mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

There is actually quite a lot of emphasis on footwork and quite a bit of weapon work. As Uncle Bill says, "There is no Silat without the blade." But the weapon work (whether stick, knife, sword, staff, etc.) isn't often taught out at seminars (where most people have been exposed to Uncle and his art).

The footwork is primarily developed in the forms. There are some drills that I've done for footwork and, specifically, for tracking. But I got these drills from his seniors and/or their students so I don't know if these were drills that Uncle taught or if his senior students put the elements together as drills.

The way Uncle Bill teaches is basically this:
He'll show you something (a form, technique, or, more often, a handful of techniques) and then he'll say, "OK. You try." He doesn't use a specific training progression, per se. His seniors have put together their own progressions to teach the material to their students.

But the bulk of the footwork is developed in the forms. Uncle draws from a lot of different sources when he's teaching but he spends a lot of time in Pakua mode. And a lot of the footwork he teaches incorporates Pakqua leg traps.

The forms are (in my experience) never taught statically. They're taught hand-in-hand with applications. And the student is encouraged to experiment and find his/her own applications in the forms. In this way, the student is never very far from the application mindset. And all the Kuntao Silat de Thouars players that I know are more than willing to mix it up. We all enjoy "playing." So there's a lot of attribute development going on in the "playing" as well.

If you're unfamiliar with what I mean by the term "playing", check out the article I wrote about it on my website. The article is called "The Play is the Thing" at http://impactacademy.cim/articles

Mike

OP
K

krys

Hello mike,
there was a problem with the ip adress and I could not access the article.

"We all enjoy "playing." So there's a lot of attribute development going on in the "playing" as well."

Is that a kind of silat-sparing? How far do you go?

Thanks,
Christian.

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello mike,
there was a problem with the ip adress and I could not access the article.

"We all enjoy "playing." So there's a lot of attribute development going on in the "playing" as well."

Is that a kind of silat-sparing? How far do you go?

Thanks,
Christian.

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis

Wow ... you shouldn't have any problem with the address ... maybe it was a temporary thing. Or maybe try http://www.impactacademy.com/articles

Anyway ... it can be sparring. But the term, really, can be applied to a wide variety of things from light sparring to hard contact, beat the tar out of each other fighting. It's the spirit of it that's key. How far we go depends on the levels and intent of the people playing. If it's advanced practitioners who are looking to pressure test their material, then things can get pretty rough. But if it's just light play (i.e.: because both people have to work the next day), then that's what it is. But, like I said, it's the attitude of lighthearted "play" that's important. There's tenacity and aggression, but all parties involved know that it's not personal. It's "play."

The "Dog Brothers" (a group of hardcore stickfighters), I think, sum it up best at their "Gatherings of the Pack." The only "rule" they have is that everyone is friends at the end of the day ... that's "playing."

Mike

OP
K

krys

Thanks Mike,

The articles are quite interesting.

Mabuhay ang filipino Silat at Arnis.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by pesilat

The "Dog Brothers" (a group of hardcore stickfighters), I think, sum it up best at their "Gatherings of the Pack." The only "rule" they have is that everyone is friends at the end of the day ... that's "playing."

Mike

I've seen another rule they sometimes use: everybody leaves with the same IQ they arrived with.

:D

Cthulhu

OP
Y

yentao

Hi I practiced Ngo Cho Kun here in the Philippines

Latest Discussions