Something to Complement Bujinkan

Mistermista

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've only just started Bujinkan a couple of months ago, but already I know enough about it to say that I will still be doing it in 15 years time. Unless I starting breaking my arms and wrists and stuff.

The only problem I find is that the techniques are all done slowly. While this helps me understand them, its not doing anything for my speed and reaction time, which is going to be vital in a fight.

I was looking at Wing Chun stuff, because those guys seem to be really fast. Does anyone agree or disagree. I'd really like you opinions.

Tanquerayray

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem I find is that the techniques are all done slowly. While this helps me understand them, its not doing anything for my speed and reaction time, which is going to be vital in a fight.

Reacting properly is more important than reacting quickly.

Personally I don't train in Bujinkan, but I can attest that the applications of Silat are also done very slowly. Done properly, this will improve your overall fighting skills, including your reaction time.

I'd stick with what you you have for now. :)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem I find is that the techniques are all done slowly. While this helps me understand them, its not doing anything for my speed and reaction time

Yes they will. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that slow training has nothing to do with being fast.

The key to being fast is to be smooth and have no unneeded movements in the technique. If you go fast, you will drill into yourself the habits of being spasmatic. You do things slow enough to catch each and every bad habit and wasted motion and remove them from what you do. You drill the parred down movements into you time and time again over a long period of time.

If you drill fast at the begginning, before you develop these good habits down, you will never be as fast as you could.

And my reccomendation is to not fool with another art until you have reached a level where you have solid foundations in Bujinkan. Until you know what is Bujinkan, you will bring one arts habits over to the other. And different arts have different ways of dealing with the problems. What is good in one system is poison in another. Kind of like trying to build a Ferrari as tall as a SUV. Neither the SUV or the Ferrari are bad cars. But they are meant for different things and that limits them. Until you know the limits that you have to accept to do Bujinkan stuff and the reasons for them, avoid mixing with other stuff- unless you want to try to take a corner at 200 mph in a Ferrari with a center of gravity as high as the SUV's.

Oh, and welcome to martialtalk and the Bujinkan. I hope both experiences are rewarding ones for you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk Mistamista and if you could introduce yourself over at the meet and greet.

In regards to Budo Taijutsu training personally I like working with the movements slowly so that I can get a sence of where my weak points are during the movment and into the waza. Going slow allows you to see and feel this. Transitioning to doing a technique quickly with speed is pretty easy once you have refined what you are working on. Good luck!

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
I also like the training in slow motion.

I think Don Roley said what needs to be said. ;)
Thanks for the clear explaination.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, after training long enough slowly and learning to move efficiently, the stuff you think is fast now, will seem slow.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A big point about moving slow from the start is that it allows you to relax. If you tense up, then you won't be able to feel the subtler things like balance.

True Austinite

White Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is always harping about people who mix other arts in with their taijutsu, which is something that he is very against (very much a budo taijutsu purist). In my opinion though, it would definitely be best to wait until you AT LEAST achieve your black belt before moving onto something else.

As for training to move fast, you can train your speed on your own time, AFTER you learn to move correctly. It's been almost a year for me, and I'm just now starting to get into the groove of using taisabaki, kamae, etc. (though it's only been recently that I've started practicing every day). So, wait until you at least know the art well enough to be able to do it unconsciously without too many mistakes (we all make them) before trying out your speed training.

When you DO get into speed training, though, there are some books I've heard are very helpful - Warrior Speed and Speed Training: How to Maximize Your Speed For Martial Arts. When I get to that level, I plan on getting both these books and using them in my daily practice.

Motz

White Belt
Reaction score

As said above, the only way to speed up your Taijutsu is to keep working slowly and getting it right first.

If however, you'd just like to supplement your training, then doing some general cardio work (something your Dojo may or may not be big on) or something system-agnostic like Feldenkrais or Pilates (I gather that Doron Navon was pretty big on the former) might be an idea. The main concern is not to impede your development in Taijutsu - if in doubt, ask your teacher's opinion of your chosen activity.