Snapping Twig, torque or counter-torque??

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
back up mass definition.

Allow me to add a little to the post.... "PBA" must also be present.

Moving your weight in line (forward or reverse) with your strike on a horizontal, vertical or diagonal plane, coupled with Proper Body Alignment automatically gives you "Back Up Mass".

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
What is counter torque?

I know there is torque..... but is there a reverse torque? NO, only torque in the opposite direction. So, what then is counter torque in this picture. (not a good term in my opinion) We must watch our terminology.

Hey Bud, "counter torque" exists as well in physics. It's use in an anatomical sense is usually (but not exclusively) relegated to Control Manipulation where torque is applied in an opposing manner. In some instances you might apply torque to a lock for an example, and then you oppose that torque with a counter torque effort to enhance or create the desired effect.

In Newtonian Physics as applied in the automotive industry, when an auto internal combustion engine accelerates with "rotational torque", it also creates a "counter torque" action on whatever device or mechanism that is attempting to hold it in place.

A "torsion Bar" commonly used in the suspension of some automobiles are twin bars that are "torqued" in opposing directions and the counter torque resistence is utilized to support the automobile.

Of course the besy example is the old "Indian Skin Burn" we used to do on each other in middle school. Grab a guy by the forearm with both hands and twist in opposite directions creating a torquing and counter torquing action simultaneously to create the skin stretching burning effect.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
"counter torque" exists as well in physics.

Where, what physics book, page ? :)

I hear what you are saying..... torque IS possible in two different directions at the same time but they still are torque only in different directions not reverse torque.

For that instance where you have torque working simultaneously but in opposite directions..... I guess you could call that counter torque..... but that is only defining that torque is working together but in opposite directions the way I see it.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Where, what physics book, page ? :)

I hear what you are saying..... torque IS possible in two different directions at the same time but they still are torque only in different directions not reverse torque.

For that instance where you have torque working simultaneously but in opposite directions..... I guess you could call that counter torque..... but that is only defining that torque is working together but in opposite directions the way I see it.

Agreed, but torque and conter torque can only exist together and not independent of each other. And for sure I didn't use the term "reverse torque." Check your mail dude, I sent you something for your archives.