Slang, Terms, and Phrases so you don't get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Politics??? I don't get that. Everybody sees politics where I just see ...normal stuff. Like when my neighbor, who knows I'm a teacher asked if my students were woke. I said sure they are. I don't allow them to sleep in class.

Then he asked me about CRT in the classroom. I had to tell him that my CRT was replaced with a screen and projector years ago.

Then he went off about BLM this and BLM that. I told him he should talk to my cousin who recently retired from the BLM. He just looked at e funny and walked away.

I always try to be polite to my neighbors. :)
I like responses like this because it's a nice way to have people re-evaluate what is coming out of their mouths lol. Sometimes saying things in this manner keeps people with their critical thinking lol

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Slang that I don't like
DMs It took me forever to know what people where talking about when they say hit me on the DM. If I can retire a slang, it would definitely be this one.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correct about this but all of what you described is a forced meaning from a political perspective to gaslight people about the real meaning of the term. The easiest way to determine if this is what is happening is to take a phase that uses the slang and replace it with the new definition.

Slang: "Stay Woke" = Stay aware, Stay awake, Stay vigilant.
Political definition: "Stay Woke" = Stay Overly Sensitive to all issues

Which of these definitions makes the most sense? Why would someone tell another person to be overly sensitive? Normally when people are overly sensitive to something, people will respond by saying things like "Man up", "Put your big boy pants on" for women "Put your big girl panties on"

Here you have two different slang terms that contradict each other. This causes confusion and problems. If this doesn't make sense to you then think of the Slang "The N-word" is it good or is it bad? Why can one group say it and another group can't. Why can one person say it without getting punched then when another person says it, they get beaten up? See the confusion?

To prove that it's the same thing that is happening with "Woke" there was a huge push earlier on in the Gangsta Rap beginnings to take awake the power of the "N-word." the goal was to intentionally make it a word that has lost it's meaning and therefore take away it's power when it's used to insult black people or degrade black people. Think about it. How many rap songs have it? How many white people can do the same? Now we see the conflict and confusion that can occur when a word is defined for the purpose of gaining power.

This is type of confusion is what happens when people use the same slang to contradict itself. Ironically I would have thought that the conspiracy groups would have used the term "Stay woke" but unfortunately there is a group trying to redefine it with the goal to gain power of the word, hence power over those who try to use it.

Normally I wouldn't share this type of insight about the black community but things have gotten really crazy and from my perspective there's a lot of people "getting played." (slang for being taken advantage of). If I was only talking to another black person then my I would end with the the phrase "Stay Woke." which means I'm reminding that person to "not let people take advantage of him or her and to keep an eye open for the tricks that are played to manipulate you."

In the black community the term "Woke" is usually used in serious conversations when someone really cares about your well being. It doesn't matter if they are misguided or "asleep" themselves. The one thing that you know is correct is that they care for you. It's not a term that is often used unless the conversation turn into one where there's a discussion about someone being taken advantage of.

The frequent way that it's use in the media is the incorrect way that it is use. In the black community I usually hear it once or twice a year and it's always around serious conversations. Black conspiracy groups use it often because that's their whole "element" "Watch out for the man" type stuff. Sometimes they are right but a lot of times they are incorrect or to broad with their accusations. I don't socialize with those groups because they tend to be negative about a lot of things and that negativity is draining.
It’s not incorrect, it’s describing different degrees of the same thing. Woke doesn’t have a narrow meaning. One might claim cultural appropriation? But that in itself is might be considered woke. 😉

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like responses like this because it's a nice way to have people re-evaluate what is coming out of their mouths lol. Sometimes saying things in this manner keeps people with their critical thinking lol
But he didn’t answer the neighbors questions, he simply swept them away. If question are asked in honesty then they deserve answering.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Politics??? I don't get that. Everybody sees politics where I just see ...normal stuff. Like when my neighbor, who knows I'm a teacher asked if my students were woke. I said sure they are. I don't allow them to sleep in class.

Then he asked me about CRT in the classroom. I had to tell him that my CRT was replaced with a screen and projector years ago.

Then he went off about BLM this and BLM that. I told him he should talk to my cousin who recently retired from the BLM. He just looked at e funny and walked away.

I always try to be polite to my neighbors. :)
I just noticed that you didn’t actually answer your neighbors question, just made jokes to side step. If the questions were honest, you should have answered his concerns. Yes politics, are super complicated, but unfortunately our lives depend on it. Open, agree to disagree dialogue is what is sorely needed. That is why the fight for free speech without fear of cancellation is important.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just noticed that you didn’t actually answer your neighbors question, just made jokes to side step. If the questions were honest, you should have answered his concerns. Yes politics, are super complicated, but unfortunately our lives depend on it. Open, agree to disagree dialogue is what is sorely needed. That is why the fight for free speech without fear of cancellation is important.

And what HIS students think of feel is none of his business.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But he didn’t answer the neighbors questions, he simply swept them away. If question are asked in honesty then they deserve answering.
Yeah but questions like that sometimes just require a statement that gets them to think more about something other than trying to get into a heated discussions. Maybe he should just make up a word as a response? Flippity Floop lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.