SKK Pinan 1& Kata 1

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So one of my projects I've been doing, since I'm headed to Iraq, is mapping out the forms as reference for myself and my instructors. One of my instructors speaks Japanese and when he looked at it, commented that when we connect the dots, it kind of looks like the symbol ki.

I also mapped out Kata 1, and showed him some odd relationships. When mapped out, there are three straight lines: one vertical, one diagonal meeting at the top of the vertical line, and one diagonal that parallels the other diagonal, , criss/crossing just above center. When he looked at it sideways, he says it looks a lot like the symbol ka.

I don't know jack squat about the symbols, so I thought I'd put it to you guys. Is there anything to this? is there any intention behind this, or is it an interesting coincidence?

I'll tell you what, though. Coincidence or no, mapping out the forms has been enlighening. there were a lot of interesting relationships in the footwork.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of luck in Iraq. Stay safe!

I don't have any clips of the pinans at my fingertips, but my impression was that Pinan 1 was taken from the Shotokan form Tai Kyoku Shodan. If I'm mistaken, please ignore the rest of what I have to say. :D

[yt]qggvJ4ZJIoE[/yt]

The movements are in an "I" shape. I suppose if one has a creative eye, hat shape can be found within the hiragana and katakana for Ki, but that to me sounds like a bit of a stretch. I don't really see it within the kanji for ki.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_KI.png

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Japanese_Katakana_KI.png

http://learnakanji.blogspot.com/\

Last edited:
OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More or less the same. We use a half-moon stance instead of a front stance. However, I'd like to point out that if you map out even her form, it doesn't fit a perfect "I" either. She ends slightly back from where she begins, and although her footwork isn't 100% the same each step, the pattern is pretty much the same.

Here's video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDGz7CKRCQ&feature=related

When you map it out, and keep each half-moon exactly the same, it's not, in the strictest sense going to be an I. I always laugh a bit when a student who's had a different instructor, than me or my sensei insists that it has to be an I, and you have to begin and end in the same spot.

Then I hand them a tape measure and electrical tape and make them prove it. I showed the paper version to a black belt instructor who outranks me and it's changed the way he does forms.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But thank you. Now that I've seen the kanji for ki, it's almost exactly the same as what we found.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't say anything as to the symbol for "ka", but what would the meaning be for that word and does it relate to the theme of the kata in any way?

As to Pinan 1 being in an "I" shape, that follows the same pattern as the Japanese version of Taikyuko as has been pointed out. Originally, the kata ends were "bent" at 45 degree angles <--> (except on a vertical plane) it was changed for aesthetic reasons later. I also believe that the original pattern had something to do with military strategy/formations.

If you bend the top lines of Kata 1 from it's "T" shape to 45 degrees it resembles the old okinawan kata, Seuichin.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can't say anything as to the symbol for "ka", but what would the meaning be for that word and does it relate to the theme of the kata in any way?

As to Pinan 1 being in an "I" shape, that follows the same pattern as the Japanese version of Taikyuko as has been pointed out. Originally, the kata ends were "bent" at 45 degree angles <--> (except on a vertical plane) it was changed for aesthetic reasons later. I also believe that the original pattern had something to do with military strategy/formations.

If you bend the top lines of Kata 1 from it's "T" shape to 45 degrees it resembles the old okinawan kata, Seuichin.

As far as pinan 1 goes, map it out.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking you guys.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more specific. We found it by connecting dots of lines we found in the footwork. Kata 1, for example, falls on three very distinct lines. It was remarkable, frankly, to look at the patterns that show up in the forms. I've completed Pinans 1-5 and Katas 1-6.

Seeing relationships in the places for the footwork really is cool. I don't know if there is necessarily a relationship, but at least in pinan 1, using the process I did, the similarities between what we found and the symbol ki are uncanny. When I have time, I'll post how we did it

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
More or less the same. We use a half-moon stance instead of a front stance. However, I'd like to point out that if you map out even her form, it doesn't fit a perfect "I" either. She ends slightly back from where she begins, and although her footwork isn't 100% the same each step, the pattern is pretty much the same.

Here's video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDGz7CKRCQ&feature=related

When you map it out, and keep each half-moon exactly the same, it's not, in the strictest sense going to be an I. I always laugh a bit when a student who's had a different instructor, than me or my sensei insists that it has to be an I, and you have to begin and end in the same spot.

Then I hand them a tape measure and electrical tape and make them prove it. I showed the paper version to a black belt instructor who outranks me and it's changed the way he does forms.

It depends on how you understand the concept of "embusen" in japanese arts. Some will say that when done correctly you DO start and end in the same spot and you adjust your stances and footwork to make that happen. Others define embussen as the "path" that the kata takes. Either way, it is an "I" pattern (althought the sides are more extended).

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on how you understand the concept of "embusen" in japanese arts. Some will say that when done correctly you DO start and end in the same spot and you adjust your stances and footwork to make that happen. Others define embussen as the "path" that the kata takes. Either way, it is an "I" pattern (althought the sides are more extended).

The only way I can see beginning and ending in the same spot is if you change the lengths, or angles, of half-moons within the form. Then I could see it. But if you're telling me you'll begin and end in exactly the same spot using the same exact half-moon stance , I'll tell you it's not possible.

If you have a fax, I can send my work. PM me. But I used a ruler and square; everything is exact. If the conditions are that everything is supposed to be exact and it's supposed to begin and end in the same spot, it can't be done.

However, I do want to go research old military formations to see if they match up. that would be really interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But I will concede that if the concept is to begin and end in the same spot by adjusting, then that makes sense.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
But I will concede that if the concept is to begin and end in the same spot by adjusting, then that makes sense.

That is why I said it depends one your understanding of embusen. Some think that you HAVE to start and end on the same spot and for "performance" purposes you DO adjust your stances/footwork to make sure you end in the same spot. Others approach embusen as the path that a kata takes, thus relating Pinan 1 to an "I" pattern even though it is not an exact pattern.

There are some katas though (Isshin-ryu's seisan comes to mind) that if you perform it with the proper stances and footwork you will end in the same spot.

You can also look into the relationship of kung fu sets and their use of a straight line to utilize their training hall space (long and linear) vs. changing of angles and directions (ending close to the same spot) to utilize the smaller training area found in okinawa/japanese dojos.

I'll shoot you a PM, I would love to see your work.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
pinan 1 in skk is at 2:54 mark.
you will also see some other forms as well:eek:)

grab a youtubedownloader and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only way I can see beginning and ending in the same spot is if you change the lengths, or angles, of half-moons within the form. Then I could see it. But if you're telling me you'll begin and end in exactly the same spot using the same exact half-moon stance , I'll tell you it's not possible.

If you have a fax, I can send my work. PM me. But I used a ruler and square; everything is exact. If the conditions are that everything is supposed to be exact and it's supposed to begin and end in the same spot, it can't be done.

However, I do want to go research old military formations to see if they match up. that would be really interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Being an Original USSD guy I can tell you from the beginning....the pinions do not end on the start point....you end up 1 width different.....I'd be interested if your Instructor was/is somebody I know....I'll check out your site....
Peace.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree that at least the way SKK does the forms, you don't start and end on the same spot on 1 Pinan. There is a way to make the form "fit" if you wanted to do it that way, but it changes some of the structure. I've had classes redesign 1 Pinan to start and end on a spot, but it was more an exercise in understanding stance relationships than anything else - it was not the intent of the form.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree that at least the way SKK does the forms, you don't start and end on the same spot on 1 Pinan. There is a way to make the form "fit" if you wanted to do it that way, but it changes some of the structure. I've had classes redesign 1 Pinan to start and end on a spot, but it was more an exercise in understanding stance relationships than anything else - it was not the intent of the form.

i concur with you, Mr. Doyle.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The early SKK forms did not end up in the same place as you started from, this was not their intent. You were supposted to end up facing the same direction as when you first started. You were supposed to end up at a certain location.
As far as the stances go, most colored belts and even some black belts, have one stance width when the strong side is forward and another when the weak side is forward. The reason for knowing your exact ending point was all about angles and stance width. By simply turning the wrong angle you would end up in the wrong place.
The most common problem found was the strong side forward vs weak side forward,(different widths). Even during the pivoting footwork the various pivoting stance widths would change.
All of this would place you in the incorrect ending location / direction.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which symbol for qi/ki are we talking about?
1. &#27683;
2. &#27668;
3. &#12365;
4. &#27671;

I don't see it in any of them.... Number three is the closest IMHO, but that would be a real stretch....

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
pinan 1 in skk is at 2:54 mark.
you will also see some other forms as well:eek:)

grab a youtubedownloader and have fun.

Prof. Cerio looks like he is "jumping" instead of Half-mooning in his demonstration of the Pinians..

My Humble and Ignorant .02 cents

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions