Skipping training out of laziness

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem with "soldiering on" is that it gets taken too far - encouraged by our social pressures, especially on men (though more and more on women, as well). Keeping at it while injured is one thing. Keeping at it while injured, as if you weren't injured (not altering the activity to prevent exacerbating it, and not allowing it to heal) leads to worse and longer-term injuries.
But sometimes, there's no time to heal. Ask any veteran. If you had to drag a fellow human down a hill while your legs are giving way, you won't put too much stock in dreamy "recovery". That's what soldiering on means, and it won the last two World Wars, if we get our "martial" measuring sticks out.

I wonder how many black belts, worldwide, would survive their first day at boot camp.

The supreme paradox of martial arts is that we have all these beaten up, damaged, ailing, and aging people talking about their ills. They've never been in a fight in their lives, but they groan about their joints, and blame martial arts.

They "trained hard", so what. Grandmas who jog train harder, live longer. I know a Marine with no legs who never whines about his joints, not because of "social pressure" but because he's tougher than you and I combined. He walks using his hands.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But sometimes, there's no time to heal. Ask any veteran. If you had to drag a fellow human down a hill while your legs are giving way, you won't put too much stock in dreamy "recovery". That's what soldiering on means, and it won the last two World Wars, if we get our "martial" measuring sticks out.

I wonder how many black belts, worldwide, would survive their first day at boot camp.

The supreme paradox of martial arts is that we have all these beaten up, damaged, ailing, and aging people talking about their ills. They've never been in a fight in their lives, but they groan about their joints.

They "trained hard", so what. Grandmas who jog train harder, live longer. I know a Marine with no legs who never whines about his joints, not because of "social pressure" but because he's tougher than you and I combined.
We had 4 black belts in my OSUT platoon alone. That was many moons ago though 🤣

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
This documentary is a few years old now, but I think some of you will find it inspiring. Training with the Royal Marine Commandos is a tough test at the best of times, let alone when you're 55yrs of age - this documentary just goes to show what can be achieved if you've got the drive and determination to push on through the pain :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Pain is a signal something is wrong".

That is wrong. If I pinch you, what's wrong? Nothing. Pain is just signals in your brain. Its purpose is indeterminate.
This still signals to the body that there is something wrong. The same pinch feeling could mean damage to the skin or that you got too close to something dangerous and it needs immediate attention.

Example. I had a sensation that felt like the hair on legs was being pulled. When I finally looked it turned out to be a fairly large cyst. I'm thinking a spider bite. I spent the next week squeezing puss out of it until it stopped.

Another example, my muscle felt unusual. I thought I was just tired do I kept going. Then it tore. I was out for about 5 months.

Pain let's you know that something is wrong. Small pain doesn't always mean small problem.

Hot sauce causes pain. It's my body telling me that something is wrong even though it tastes good. I like ghost pepper cheese. It burns like hot sauce but it also burns my stomach.

My guess is that people who suffer a lot of martial arts injuries are due to older men and women who "soldiered on" when they were younger and now it's time to pay the price.

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's one purpose.
This still signals to the body that there is something wrong. The same pinch feeling could mean damage to the skin or that you got too close to something dangerous and it needs immediate attention.

Example. I had a sensation that felt like the hair on legs was being pulled. When I finally looked it turned out to be a fairly large cyst. I'm thinking a spider bite. I spent the next week squeezing puss out of it until it stopped.

Another example, my muscle felt unusual. I thought I was just tired do I kept going. Then it tore. I was out for about 5 months.

Pain let's you know that something is wrong. Small pain doesn't always mean small problem.

Hot sauce causes pain. It's my body telling me that something is wrong even though it tastes good. I like ghost pepper cheese. It burns like hot sauce but it also burns my stomach.

My guess is that people who suffer a lot of martial arts injuries are due to older men and women who "soldiered on" when they were younger and now it's time to pay the price.

Pain let's you know that something is wrong
That is not the purpose of pain. Pain has no purpose, it's a illusion of the mind.

Ever given birth? There's no wrong there, and if there is, you can't expect the mother to know.

"No pain no gain" I have never met a coach who said this in oppositin of recovery or body self awareness. This is about discipline. Every day. Every single day.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The supreme paradox of martial arts is that we have all these beaten up, damaged, ailing, and aging people talking about their ills. They've never been in a fight in their lives, but they groan about their joints, and blame martial arts.

They "trained hard", so what. Grandmas who jog train harder, live longer. I know a Marine with no legs who never whines about his joints, not because of "social pressure" but because he's tougher than you and I combined. He walks using his hands.
Sure, sometimes there’s no time. But most of us never live those moments, and “soldiering on” when injured should be reserved for those moments.

As for your whining about others’ whining - why does it even matter to you? Everyone whines about whatever feels bad to them. So what?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one purpose.

That is not the purpose of pain. Pain has no purpose, it's a illusion of the mind.

Ever given birth? There's no wrong there, and if there is, you can't expect the mother to know.

"No pain no gain" I have never met a coach who said this in oppositin of recovery or body self awareness. This is about discipline. Every day. Every single day.
Your views on pain are…interesting. As is your apparent view that anyone who hasn’t been in a fight can’t have any real injury.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If I give birth then something went really wrong.

Regarding women who experience pain during birth, it’s not a matter of what’s “right” or “wrong.” The human body operates within specific limits and balances. When those limits are exceeded, the body often signals through pain. It serves as an alert to either ease off or indicates that damage has occurred and where. The act of giving birth itself isn’t wrong. However, conditions like perineal tears, nerve damage, long-term pelvic pain, and muscle damage are common occurrences, and pain serves as a signal that something may be amiss.

This is what sometimes happens to those who cannot feel pain.

If you don't believe that guy. Listen straight from the people who don't experience pain

So when you say that Pain has no purpose, this is what it really means to be without out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your views on pain are…interesting. As is your apparent view that anyone who hasn’t been in a fight can’t have any real injury.
I'm calling this one if no one else will. It is incorrect, including the part about me giving birth which would be wrong. Just like the movie below. lol
p16209_p_v13_bb.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You think so??😂
Some days I should just not respond to what people are saying in the threads lol.

I think Gerry gave birth before lol. I could be wrong. Lets see what my Bing AI says:

"Yes, it’s possible for men to become pregnant and give birth to children of their own. Let’s explore this further:" - Bing AI - Source: Healthline.com

"Emerging technologies, such as uterus transplants, may make it possible for assigned male at birth (AMAB) individuals to carry a child in the future." - Bing AI - Source:Healthline.com

Well there you have it lol. Crazy on top of Crazy.

Last edited:

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your post makes no sense.

And your website appears broken, it's taking minutes to respond. You should upgrade your provider.

Latest Discussions