Silat in Columbus, Ohio?

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. I posted in beginner's forum asking for information on several schools in Columbus, Ohio that I am considering, but I cannot seem to find anyone teaching Silat here. Does anyone have any information that could help?

Thank you.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I posted in beginner's forum asking for information on several schools in Columbus, Ohio that I am considering, but I cannot seem to find anyone teaching Silat here. Does anyone have any information that could help?

Thank you.

I responded to another post of yours and recommended Dan McConnell of the Hilliard Martial Arts Center, and the website is www.teamhmac.com. While I was there, we used to have a silat guy come in and his name was Dave Moore. I don't have the contact information but I'm sure that Dan might have that information. In any case, check out Dan's school.

Take care,
Brian Johns:karate:

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I responded to another post of yours and recommended Dan McConnell of the Hilliard Martial Arts Center, and the website is www.teamhmac.com. While I was there, we used to have a silat guy come in and his name was Dave Moore. I don't have the contact information but I'm sure that Dan might have that information. In any case, check out Dan's school.

Take care,
Brian Johns:karate:

Thanks a lot for your help. I hope to get there soon. I really do find Mordern Arnis interesting, I just wanted to check out some other options first. Good to know about the Silat guy, too.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello
There is a silat group over in Dayton Ohio who specialize in Silat Harimau Minangkabau. They will also host Pak Dadang Gunawan of Pencak Silat Mande Muda in later this spring. Its not in Columbus but might be worth the commute to get the training.
Contact [email protected] .
With Respect
Doc D

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello
There is a silat group over in Dayton Ohio who specialize in Silat Harimau Minangkabau. They will also host Pak Dadang Gunawan of Pencak Silat Mande Muda in later this spring. Its not in Columbus but might be worth the commute to get the training.
Contact [email protected] .
With Respect
Doc D

Thanks! It looks like I'm going to train locally with a person who is a student of someone in Springfield, Ohio and see how that goes. The style is Bukti Negara, or an offshoot of it. I may contact the person you mentioned anyway to see if he knows of anyone locally. Or maybe I can attend a seminar there.

Thanks again!

k_raben

White Belt
Reaction score
I train at the school that Doc D mentioned above. We have Silat, Kali and a few other arts. If you ever feel like coming down to Dayton to check it out, please PM or e-mail me.

Thanks

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train at the school that Doc D mentioned above. We have Silat, Kali and a few other arts. If you ever feel like coming down to Dayton to check it out, please PM or e-mail me.

Thanks

Thanks! What is the name of the place? Do they have a website?

Dave Moore

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help. I hope to get there soon. I really do find Mordern Arnis interesting, I just wanted to check out some other options first. Good to know about the Silat guy, too.

Hi Jack,
Hi Brian,
Hi Everyone,

There are many qualified Silat instuctors in Dayton, Ohio !!!

We used to have instructors come into Columbus,Ohio to teach since many of us were not licensed and/or certified.
The instructors we sponsored taught us Pencak Silat Mande Muda, Pentjak Silat Bukti Negara and SIKAL.

Yours in the Martial Arts,
Dave Moore P.S. Have fun !!!

SirAndrew59

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm moving to Ohio in a few weeks and I'm looking for a silat school. I currently train in Mande Muda and would like to continue, but anything would be fine. Anyway, if you guys could send me some email addresses or websites I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jack,
Hi Brian,
Hi Everyone,

We used to have instructors come into Columbus,Ohio to teach since many of us were not licensed and/or certified.
The instructors we sponsored taught us Pencak Silat Mande Muda, Pentjak Silat Bukti Negara and SIKAL.

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. Are you in Columbus? Do you know any Silat people in Columbus?

I'm having trouble getting responses from the person I was supposed to train with, so I'm still looking. I hope to get to the Modern Arnis place in Hilliard soon to visit but haven't due to shiftwork, other obligations, laziness, etc... Maybe this coming week.

Thanks!

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Jack,
Hi Brian,
Hi Everyone,

Dave Moore,

Great to see you here !! I hope that everything is going well for you these days and that your training in Silat is going well. I've moved up to Toronto last year as I got married to a Canadian woman. Say hi to the gang for me if you ever see them !

Take care,
Brian

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I might have had a couple of wires crossed. I think The Brown Institute with Guru Brown have the background in Pencak Silat Mande Muda . Jason Ashby's group who train regularly in Harimau , I think , are in Cleveland. But I think 1 or 2 people who train with him also train over at the Brown Institute.

Doc D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like there are quite a few options for anyone interested in training down in the Columbus area.
icon14.gif

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like there are quite a few options for anyone interested in training down in the Columbus area.
icon14.gif

Actually, none of those are in the Columbus area. The closest so far is about an hour away. I haven't found an actual Silat instructor here, but I'm still looking. I still need to visit the Modern Arnis school though, and the Sikal is an interesting blend of Silat and Kali, I believe.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, none of those are in the Columbus area. The closest so far is about an hour away. I haven't found an actual Silat instructor here, but I'm still looking. I still need to visit the Modern Arnis school though, and the Sikal is an interesting blend of Silat and Kali, I believe.

Gotcha! As to the Modern Arnis there I would highly recommend them based on several friends recommendation. Here is their latest commercial for United Modern Arnis with Dan McConnel!
http://danmcconnell.blogspot.com/

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha! As to the Modern Arnis there I would highly recommend them based on several friends recommendation. Here is their latest commercial for United Modern Arnis with Dan McConnel!
http://danmcconnell.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much for that link. Very informative. I was kind of hoping to wait until the Asian Festival on Memorial Day Weekend so that I could see a bunch of schools (that one included) at one time, but I may have to work anyway. It would be great to find a place with classes that I could also attend while working 2nd shift, as I work shiftwork, but there aren't many places like that.

Thanks again!

Latest Discussions