Should Political/Religious/Orientational Debate be allowed here.

Should Politics/Religion/Homosexuality be banned from discussion?

• Yes - Its gone too far

• No - Its within limits

• Maybe - Things need to calm down a bit, but discussion is ok in the Study.

• No Opinion.

Results are only viewable after voting.
J

jaymo

call me chicken, but i've spent most of my time just lurking here at MT. i don't post often, largely because i want to keep my identity anonymous, and someone inevitably asks the questions that are on my mind--i'm happy reading. this is a little different for me, because i'm actually a fairly outgoing person in other online groups and in real life.

one thing i have learned from online groups is that much is lost in reading text. sure, we have our smiley faces, frowny faces, bold type, and the like to include while we articulate our innermost passions, but nothing will ever substitute face to face conversation. because of this, i try not to take other's opinions online personally. like anything else in this world, i find a spectrum of cattiness here. i try to keep an open mind about this, realizing that my perception of what is going on doesn't mean that it is really happening. freedom of speech is just that, freedom of speech-specifically freedom of speech that i don't agree with. we're all so different here, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that personalities will clash, and opinions will differ. live and let live, take what you like and leave the rest, yadda, yadda, yadda.

R

raedyn

I *think* flatlander meant discussion is better with more people in the discussion. (If I may be so bold as to translate for him)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, if by "not employed" you mean "taking care of house and family".

Oh well.

I think part of the reason more women aren't in the study is... 1) not many ladies on MT in general, and 2) in my own experience, women tend to seek out conflict a bit less than men.
Hi Feisty,

I think 'even if they do have a house and family'.

When at home you are not at another location, unable to.

I agree with 'outside' (away and not related to home issues, marriage etc.)open aggression, but at home they feel it is their territory and do get pretty
vocal.

I have seen both sides of 'Domestic Violence' it is a two sided coin and relative to 'mathematical heads or tails' it is very similar.

Regards, Gary

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Feisty,

I think 'even if they do have a house and family'.

When at home you are not at another location, unable to.

I agree with 'outside' (away and not related to home issues, marriage etc.)open aggression, but at home they feel it is their territory and do get pretty
vocal.

I have seen both sides of 'Domestic Violence' it is a two sided coin and relative to 'mathematical heads or tails' it is very similar.

Regards, Gary
Gee Gary.
There are even some of us who:
1) work outside the home (although sometimes my office starts resembling home)
2) raise children
3) run a house
4) take a martial art
5) and teach a martial art
6) read a little
7) do some craft/home/other projects
8) go back to school to finish a degree or get another

I understand the tenor of your remarks, but for the sake of those who might not, there it is.

R

raedyn

Interestingly, the women who ARE active on this part of the boards are just as vocal as the men, from what I've seen.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely. That's because we're scholars as well as warriors, and we know that scholar hides warrior until the warrior is unleashed...

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Gee Gary.
There are even some of us who:
1) work outside the home (although sometimes my office starts resembling home)
2) raise children
3) run a house
4) take a martial art
5) and teach a martial art
6) read a little
7) do some craft/home/other projects
8) go back to school to finish a degree or get another

I understand the tenor of your remarks, but for the sake of those who might not, there it is.

Bravo.

My wife is a school teacher, teaches Spanish on the side to a home school class, runs a large martial arts school, teaches martial arts classes, subs for me when necessary, and is a mother to a young man in college...on top of that she keeps my a** in line. As for aggression (or assertiveness), my wife is not only vocal in the home but in public as well...though she does have a measure of tact I lack.

Not many women post to MT, perhaps, but those that do make excellent contributions. I don't recall any of them writing anything stupid...on the other hand we've seen some men who barely own the English language and still others who can rub a noun and a verb together but can't think cogently.

Now...if any here want to think I'm pandering to the women, perhaps I am. Most of my best friends are women, and my heroes are women I have in my life. I am either a lecherous heterosexual with a sordid agenda, a sensitive eighties male, or I'm fabulously gay and simply want someone with whom to go shopping.

Or pehaps I'm not pandering at all and am calling it as I see it.

Nah. I'm gay.

Regards,

Steve

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Bravo.

My wife is a school teacher, teaches Spanish on the side to a home school class, runs a large martial arts school, teaches martial arts classes, subs for me when necessary, and is a mother to a young man in college...on top of that she keeps my a** in line. As for aggression (or assertiveness), my wife is not only vocal in the home but in public as well...though she does have a measure of tact I lack.

Not many women post to MT, perhaps, but those that do make excellent contributions. I don't recall any of them writing anything stupid...on the other hand we've seen some men who barely own the English language and still others who can rub a noun and a verb together but can't think cogently.

Now...if any here want to think I'm pandering to the women, perhaps I am. Most of my best friends are women, and my heroes are women I have in my life. I am either a lecherous heterosexual with a sordid agenda, a sensitive eighties male, or I'm fabulously gay and simply want someone with whom to go shopping.

Or pehaps I'm not pandering at all and am calling it as I see it.

Nah. I'm gay.

Regards,

Steve
:xtrmshock

Nah. You're not gay. Unless your gi with the lattice insert sides counts...

Seriously, even the guys who have problems expressing themselves in writing on this forum can be open to new ideas at times. I have yet to run into any who aren't, with one exception and he was kicked off here a long time ago. Hmm... maybe he was run off by the ladies... In any event, I will go to bat for the guys who particpate in the Study because it's always thought-provoking discussion, and one can even learn a little if one reads the posts carefully.

Steve, Careful. Robertson is in the running for MT Sensitive Man of the Week -- your crown may be in jeopardy!:)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
My crown is in my Heart, not on my Head; Not deck'd with diamonds, and Indian stones, Nor to be seen: my Crown is called Content; A crown it is that seldom Kings enjoy.

Okay. I stole that from Shakespeare. I admit it. Its a sour grapes response should Robertson take my crown away from me...which would be tragic, as I just now learned I had possession of it.

I warn you, if forced to cede the crown of sensitivity...I might cry. I'm THAT sensitive.

Regards,

Steve

R

raedyn

so even when it's about sensitivity, the thought of losing to robertson bristles yr macho ego? *wink*

egads. I am encouraging the degeneration of this thread. *slaps own hand* badbad raedyn. too much time spent in the Grill today, methinks. (any idea how long it takes to get up to speed on the word association thread? it's nearly 250 pages long!!!)

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I haven't been around much here because of the way the discussions have degenerated into squabbling by a few. Then you have the other few who post OPINIONs and try to pass them off as facts *rme....So I went to some Classic Car Restoration boards, and you know what? There are idiots there too!*L...There was one guy who vehemently insisted that the 1969 Chevy Nova was the greatest car ever built. This, despite the fact that it had a short wheel base and lacked the suspension system required for performance handling. But it turns out that he had one as a kid, so therefore that was his reasoning. Much like alot of people on here. They are familiar with a certain position and will defened it despite proof otherwise.

Well, I attribute it to the "Elvis Factor". The EF is: that given an adequate sample population size, there will about 8% who beleive that Elvis is still alive. No matter that they have no proof.

So you just go on, identify those in the Elvis group and ignore them. Because they don't listen anyway, and you're just wasting your time.*Shrugs.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ender said:
Well I haven't been around much here because of the way the discussions have degenerated into squabbling by a few. Then you have the other few who post OPINIONs and try to pass them off as facts *rme....So I went to some Classic Car Restoration boards, and you know what? There are idiots there too!*L...There was one guy who vehemently insisted that the 1969 Chevy Nova was the greatest car ever built. This, despite the fact that it had a short wheel base and lacked the suspension system required for performance handling. But it turns out that he had one as a kid, so therefore that was his reasoning. Much like alot of people on here. They are familiar with a certain position and will defened it despite proof otherwise.

Well, I attribute it to the "Elvis Factor". The EF is: that given an adequate sample population size, there will about 8% who beleive that Elvis is still alive. No matter that they have no proof.

So you just go on, identify those in the Elvis group and ignore them. Because they don't listen anyway, and you're just wasting your time.*Shrugs.
Exactly. Besides which, prodding these guys and then sitting back to watch can be most entertaining.

As to name calling, if that's ever happened to me, I'm unaware of it. I don't ever view anyone coming back at something I've said in a post as a personal attack. That's because it isn't, and shouldn't be viewed as such. You're working in a medium which is extremely difficult to manipulate as well as a face-to-face debate.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Exactly. Besides which, prodding these guys and then sitting back to watch can be most entertaining.

As to name calling, if that's ever happened to me, I'm unaware of it. I don't ever view anyone coming back at something I've said in a post as a personal attack. That's because it isn't, and shouldn't be viewed as such. You're working in a medium which is extremely difficult to manipulate as well as a face-to-face debate.

Hi KT,

I have not been on this post for awhile, going good though.
I have to agree with you KT some of the ones (name calling) who are, won't be for long. Good moderation is the key.

I am or was on a post that degenerated and I think it was really not that big of a deal...

I will never be called sensitive by someone who is being nominated for that Crown...But, But I am sensitive, just not that good at expressing on the board with the written word I guess...

Robert is sensitive, overly, I think regarding some things.
I am going to look at it in another way, 'passion' is the word I would use.

I think HHJH will be able to keep his crown.
Because in my opinion, 'Passion' is the word.
Regards, Gary

Latest Discussions