Short Story...Who baked the best cookies?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope the title grabbed ya to take a look.

I know this short story will seem corny, but I had to write this to help a 10 year old understand why some idiot made a negative comment concerning a patch the child was wearing on his gi. Long story short, he mentioned something to the fact that the school/organization he belonged was a joke.

Figured it seemed fitting with some of the posts going around.

So here it goes...

Who baked the best cookies? Mrs. Jones or Mrs. Doe?

Both mothers had made the tastiest cookies around. People would rave about how great their cookies were. Mrs. Jones had taken a very old family recipe and made many changes to make them taste even better and more appealing to her children. Mrs. Doe also had an older family recipe, but decided to keep the recipe as close to the old recipe as possible. Both cookies were great and liked by different family members and friends.

As time went by, the two mothers grew apart. The two families no longer got along too well. Eventually one of the mothers passed away. After the funeral, Mrs. Jones’s children fought over finding the recipe book, but Mrs. Jones had committed it to memory. Some of it was jotted down, but she kept some parts in her head. Mrs. Jones’s children began to grow apart and each tried to make the best of their own recipes. Each came very close, but they were unable to match that great taste their mom’s cookies.

While all this was going on, Mrs. Doe kept making her cookies as she had. Never claiming that her cookies were better that her old friend, Mrs. Jones – just different. Still, her two families continued to grow apart.

I knew both families, and tried both cookies. They were both awesome – each in their own way. And now each of the children had their own recipes, most had conjured up their own good recipes. Some tried to guess or figure out the missing ingredients, others tried to combine the tastes of the two mothers’ recipe. One or two of the kids decided to try to make money off their recipes, but never really saw any success.

To all the children of both families, both your mothers were phenomenal bakers. Getting together from time to time may help find the missing parts of Mrs. Jones’ famous cookie recipe. And remember, both your mother’s wanted you to one-day come up with your own recipe to pass on to their grandchildren.

To this day, I love cookies. I will always remember how Mrs. Jones’ cookies tasted, but I will never have them again. And while Mrs. Doe is alive, I will continue to enjoy her cookies while I can! I have even tried to come up with my own recipe, including all the ingredients that appeal to me; but I know they will never taste as good as Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Doe’s.

There are some many recipes out there! Try them all before you decide which one you like or dislike. Do not take anyone else’s taste test as gospel.

*Written back (90's) when things were a little "unsettled" between the Tracy and Parker followers. The child I wrote this for went on to acheive black belt ranking in American Kenpo and Tracy Kenpo. This story can easily fit into a few organizations and styles.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So who's teaching the correct system of kenpo again? LOL.

Good Story/Analogy but some people will never like anything other than their own mom's cooking.

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lee Stang wrote "Where ever you are, be there". His premise is that in order to have peak life performances/experiences, you must be focused on what you are doing at the time. I find this to be true in my life. I don't know how true this is for others, but maybe martial artists should remember that they will get more out of focusing on their own art/school/instructor then they would out of poking holes in others.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, I am probably being dense here, but I have a hard time with analogies and hidden meanings and I don't get the story. Cane someone help me out please.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
ok, I am probably being dense here, but I have a hard time with analogies and hidden meanings and I don't get the story. Cane someone help me out please.

I think it means that the details of the recipe don't matter as much as the taste of the cookies. For martial arts, it would equate to not worrying about the details of the genealogy of the instructor or the smaller details of the style, but the effectiveness of the instruction.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kacey said:
I think it means that the details of the recipe don't matter as much as the taste of the cookies. For martial arts, it would equate to not worrying about the details of the genealogy of the instructor or the smaller details of the style, but the effectiveness of the instruction.

Well, I couldn't have condensed that better.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My english teacher taught me that yours couldn't condense a paragraph to save her life, so why bother trying...my teacher's better....

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today's martial artist/systems are changing so fast...Many Instructors having other martial art backgrounds and learning things differently. When they end up with school...many will input there ideas added in.

Each baker will add/minus the ingredents...but in the end the cookies still become cookies...just different flavors.

Many school break up for this reason....each person/teacher is an individual with there own ideas of what works.....Aloha

Add more sugar and caffine...keeps you up for awhile1

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
My english teacher taught me that yours couldn't condense a paragraph to save her life, so why bother trying...my teacher's better....

:rofl: :roflmao:

I wonder how many others will get this. I'm dyin' here! :rofl:

Latest Discussions