Shorinjin Ryu Saito Ninjitsu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned about this in another thread:
http://tfam.com/programs/index.htm

This is a rare 1000 year old secret art taught only by the Saito family of Fukushima, Japan. Several styles of T'ai Jutsu (empty hand arts) are taught.

Students must start with Tai Chi? Has anyone any experience with this program? Honestly, from the web site it looks somewhat suspect to me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
other thn my inner feeling I know nothing other than what I have seen in the link however my gut tells me that this may not be as real as it claims. something just seems out of place.
not saying it is not for real just saying i dont belive everything i read

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "history" of the art is questionable, to say the least. The fact that Mr. Saito also willingly chooses to use the spelling "ninjitsu" while completely admitting it is an incorrect usage is also very odd. The misuse of the term "Shorinjin" is also dubious.

In my opinion (and I may be wrong of course), it seems the system is using the words of other popular martial arts ("Shorinji" and "ninjutsu") to aritificially lump them onto their art to make it more appealable. The "trappings" of the art don't strike me as very "Japanese", either.

Of course, this is not to say that it is an ineffective system. Only, that its historical claims are exceedingly dubious.

Laterz.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve McGovern is an obvious authority on this art. He is quite active on my board. Any experience I have with him is he is a very intelligent and well spoken martial artist who I imagine would discuss it.

The board is protected but if you want to come talk. Register at
http://unv.aimoo.com

ShaolinBoxer

White Belt
Reaction score
As with most stories, it's origin or seed was true. I live in Hawaii, and a friend of mine just got me into a class that teaches this art. I was stunned to learn that they practiced for the Tengu sword. A uncommon blade that is 2/3 handle, and 1/3 blade. I don't think many ppl will get the opportunity to learn this art, as it's only been recently released as far as the martial arts history.

The confusion in the style was not a mistake. The art carries characteristics of Chinese and Japanese swordsmanship, hence the circular motions.

And as far as needing to learn tai chi, you don't. It would be a great addition though.
~ First the Fist Form, then the Staff Form, and then the Sword Form. -some old asian proverb

Bagua would be the form you would want to learn. It's relative to Tai Chi.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well Shorinjin is incorrect for one.
Ninjitsu is incorrect for two.

Sei is incorrect for 4th mountain. (listed on site)

History is full of it. It is doubtful of someone using the term Shorinjin in old Japan to refer to mountain dwellers.

In the history we bounce from 1,000 year old Japanese secret Ninjutsu sorry Ninjitsu to Hawaiian lore of Karatedo than to Judo to Shinkeido to anything else Japanese!!

The Tengu sword IMO looks pretty unpractical.

I find it odd to be raised by a Japanese master and not know any Japanese but use cryptic Japanese on your site and even Japanese that looks like it was put together by an online translator.

This is just my view of this and unlike Saito I have been to Japan.

Hayseed

White Belt
Reaction score
JadecloudAlchemist said:
Well Shorinjin is incorrect for one.
Ninjitsu is incorrect for two.

Sei is incorrect for 4th mountain. (listed on site)

History is full of it. It is doubtful of someone using the term Shorinjin in old Japan to refer to mountain dwellers.

In the history we bounce from 1,000 year old Japanese secret Ninjutsu sorry Ninjitsu to Hawaiian lore of Karatedo than to Judo to Shinkeido to anything else Japanese!!

The Tengu sword IMO looks pretty unpractical.

I find it odd to be raised by a Japanese master and not know any Japanese but use cryptic Japanese on your site and even Japanese that looks like it was put together by an online translator.

This is just my view of this and unlike Saito I have been to Japan.

Burn.(Nicely done!)

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When you don't have a legit martial art you use legit martial arts as your basis the more legit martial arts the more credit you loose such as this for example:

Jujutsu,Bo,Tengu,Pasai
Judo,Fushido,Fudoshin
Shinkeido,Uishiba(I think he meant Ueshiba)Aikido
Yawara,Shorinjin Karate,Tsuyoi Karatedo
Yoshinkan Aikido,Boken(I think he meant Bokken or Bokuto)
Iaido,Capturing-Shin(beats me),mushin,Samurai swordmanship
Hawaiian Lua,Ancient ritual dance,Healing arts
Blood line to Ninjutsu sorry I mean Ninjitsu
and I thought Phelps was bad with inaccurate site!!

j5smoothe

White Belt
Reaction score
hi does anyone know who Christa Jacobson is she claims lineage to tomo ryu (one of the koga families) her website is budoryuninjutsu.com. i know that the last known koga ninja died in 1966 in car crash. i also know that there were around 50+ families that were associated with the koga lineage. she has a lineage chart on her website i wondering if there was anyway to tell if it is legit. i've tried looking through the other forums to see if there was any mention of her, but i did not see any. thanks for your help in advance.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Zombie, can I teach Koga-ryu then? :)

Sure why not.....you're not a real Zombie so then it wouldn't be real Koga either...LOL
icon10.gif

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But maybe he is "zombie-ish" and that would nake it ninja ish wouldn't it :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately this thread is zombie-ish. It just refuses to stay dead... :idunno:

Latest Discussions