Share your greatest song or lyric???

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Good stuff. I've always liked the line, "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."

At the onset of what could be be best or the absolute worst 4 year period in American history, this seems apropos.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@ J, for you, my S.I.C. ;)
Ahhh yes... Tame Impala
Tame Impala is like spooky and dreamy, like clever ghosts haunting in clever ways ha.. I like these a lot!! Thank you!!

Hey I share you one back? Is good! you have to listen up proper for me plus has a sniff of Wu Tang here too so what more! :D xx

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
The album Every Man For Himself, by Hoobastank, has so many lyrics that touched me. I think it's worth both listening or just having a read if that's not your kind of music.

Here's a live version:

Hoobastank – The First Of Me Lyrics
I must make a choice
A tough decision
Listen to my voice
Should I give in
To temptation, admiration
One leads to myself
The other some one else
Just an empty shell
Just an empty shell

It's harder than it seems
When you're told that
All your hopes and dreams
Are yours to hold if
You just give them
What's expected
Something they can sell
Put upon a shelf
That I am not for sell
I am not for sell

[Chorus:]
I here a voice inside
It's crowning to a scream
I'm not the next of them
I am the first of me
'cause I can live the lie
I am just what you see
I'm not the next of them
I am the first of me

If I can't refuse
The price they offer
I am sure to lose
And I will suffer
Sell my soul to make a profit
All I have to do
Is make believe it's true
That something I can't do
That something I can't do

[Chorus]

So when the waiting's gone
This time to face the truth
You know your good enough
Deep down inside of you

You're finally woken up
If only just to prove
You are born to lead the way
Then be the first of you
Songwriters: ROBB, DOUGLAS SEAN/ESTRIN, DANIEL B./HESSE, CHRIS LIGHT
The First Of Me lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tame Impala is like spooky and dreamy, like clever ghosts haunting in clever ways ha.. I like these a lot!! Thank you!!

Hey I share you one back? Is good! you have to listen up proper for me plus has a sniff of Wu Tang here too so what more! :D xx

I like it, and I do sniff a little WT :joyful:

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good stuff. I've always liked the line, "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."

At the onset of what could be be best or the absolute worst 4 year period in American history, this seems apropos.

And but yes though surely times have not always been changing? Cannot forever be as it was nor will it always be as it is currently right? Like change is not the only certainty? Is this kind of music what you would listen to when you were younger like at high school maybe? interested what you are into :) x

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This one a like and dislike. Conjured up the old having to have the bedroom light on lol.
Your avatar person look like you have adopted the darkness now rather than requiring a light on it?? :) Oooh I have been missing this! Am I wrong that this is my fave album of theirs? :D

Is this disturbing? It is to me!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@dan.jaret Hey that is a pretty cool jam right there, thank you! xo :) I admit I am not certain I exactly understand what this song is about?? Maybe it is different for different people.. I like songs like that :)

What else you listen to? You could listen to this or is too much of a leap from Hoobastank?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your avatar person look like you have adopted the darkness now rather than requiring a light on it?? :) Oooh I have been missing this! Am I wrong that this is my fave album of theirs? :D

Is this disturbing? It is to me!

Yes that is very strange. Especially with "Unfinished Sympathy" sampled. Not sure of the significance there. One of Massive Attacks best.

Having the light left on was I didn't like thunder storms lol.

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
@dan.jaret Hey that is a pretty cool jam right there, thank you! xo :) I admit I am not certain I exactly understand what this song is about?? Maybe it is different for different people.. I like songs like that :)

What else you listen to? You could listen to this or is too much of a leap from Hoobastank?

Yeah good point. I did not get a couple of parts of the song, but basically it means don't sell yourself (on a salary job), "we are not for sale" like a product, getting stressed to make other people rich, stuff like that. I was in a very crappy job when I found that song, so it touched me.

I like listening to everything practically, from Bach, Chopin, Scriabin, Liszt, and Grieg piano music, to British pop, alternative, all sorts of metal, new age, 80s, 90s music, rock, gothic, jazz, opera, world music, almost anything. I use iTunes to listen to at least a new album a day, been doing so since I got Rhapsody, then Napster for 10+ years. And I like listening to my own music too, I compose (used to...) what I want to listen. ( Climáticas )

I did not know what you shared, it's definitely something I like. It sounds powerful. I'll listen to the whole album. Thanks :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We made the moon our mirrorball
The streets an empty stage
The city sirens violins
And everything has changed

And

Do I have time?
A man of my caliber
Stood in the street
Like a sleepwalking teenager
I know
And I dealt with this years ago
I took a hammer to every memento

But image on image like beads on a rosary
Pulled through my head as the music takes hold
And the sickener hits, I can work till I break
But I love the bones of you that I will never escape

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The city sirens violins

And

Do I have time?
A man of my caliber
Stood in the street
I know

Yes recongnised the last two lines. Never a great fan, but still cool.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Going through some very old posts on MT this morning so I got nostalgic, and for some reason, these song popped into my noggin

Keepin it real thank you XS :D Man I would love a cell fone that looks like that field radio! hey what has you nostalgic in reading old things it is good or not good?? :) xx

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah good point. I did not get a couple of parts of the song, but basically it means don't sell yourself (on a salary job), "we are not for sale" like a product, getting stressed to make other people rich, stuff like that. I was in a very crappy job when I found that song, so it touched me.

I like listening to everything practically, from Bach, Chopin, Scriabin, Liszt, and Grieg piano music, to British pop, alternative, all sorts of metal, new age, 80s, 90s music, rock, gothic, jazz, opera, world music, almost anything. I use iTunes to listen to at least a new album a day, been doing so since I got Rhapsody, then Napster for 10+ years. And I like listening to my own music too, I compose (used to...) what I want to listen. ( Climáticas )

I did not know what you shared, it's definitely something I like. It sounds powerful. I'll listen to the whole album. Thanks :)
Oh you must have thousands of songs collected by now then yay!! I am not the only one! I am like a squirrel collecting music haha. Hey your keyboard work on Soundcloud sounds clear and accomplished! This music is your own composition?? Is peaceful yet I hear also melancholy. 06 is my favourite because of its motifs! bravo! :) I could listen to more!! thank you for sharing x

When I hear this I am tearful and I wonder then why do I listen.. it is to seek an emotion .. you can understand this yes?? xx

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The city sirens violins

And

Do I have time?
A man of my caliber
Stood in the street
I know

Mirrorball is just dreamy fantastic song thank you for a reminder! I think it can be either upbeat or not so much maybe?? And but Bones of You I think I hear hope hidden in it against a sadness, maybe you agree? Or maybe song is just a song :) Thank you so much Mr Gnarlie for sharing these!! xx

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Keepin it real thank you XS :D Man I would love a cell fone that looks like that field radio! hey what has you nostalgic in reading old things it is good or not good?? :) xx

Its all good, just reading old posts and seeing things I wrote and reading things from people who no longer post here. Don't exactly know why that triggered thoughts of Twisted Sister and Judas Priest, but it did.

And on that note...

On a side note, pretty much through my 20s I wore a leather jacket very much like the one Halford is wearing in that video