Hello from Mantismaster

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum my expertize is on 7-Star Mantis Kung Fu. I'm a Closed-Door Disciple of Grandmaster Lee Kam Wing. If anyone has any questions on the 7-Star mantis style, please do not hesitate to ask. I hope we can all share and enjoy each others knowledge.

Peace
Mantismaster

"He who collects forms is only a paper tiger"

OP
Mantismaster

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum my expertize is on 7-Star Mantis Kung Fu. I'm a Closed-Door Disciple of Grandmaster Lee Kam Wing. If anyone has any questions on the 7-Star mantis style, please do not hesitate to ask. I hope we can all share and enjoy each others knowledge.

Peace
Mantismaster

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Cheers

Among others, I train some in Mei Hua Tang Lang

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome..

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Peace
Mantismaster

Yeah here's a question. What distinguishes Mantis the most aside from Mantis grabbing, to that of other Kung Fu styles?

OP
Mantismaster

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Karatedrifter:

Mantis is a unique style on it's own, it is considered one of the first eclectic system in martial arts. By that I mean that when Wong Long (founder of mantis) created mantis he incorporated 17 other style into the mantis system.

First we need to understand what style means. In the olden days when you were taught Kung Fu your teacher would tell you that he was going to teach you a new style (form), forms were called styles, and by learning different styles you were basically learning how to develop new rythyms or new techniques that your master wanted you to learn.

In America most people call style the type of martial arts they do (they are not wrong, but this is not what we are talking about). Wong Long incorporated 17 different styles or techniques from 17 different masters that he had learned and made mantis the 18th style added.

What makes mantis different then other Kung Fu styles is the way that we train. In 7-Star Mantis when you practice your forms you see nothing but joint breaking, eye gauging, etc. we don't practice pretty forms and in our training the intensity is on "NO MERCY ON YOUR PREY (OPPONENT)."

All martial arts are good and effective, some just have a little more then others and then it's the combat concepts that separate them. Mantis unique legs and hand work are a force to requem with. Our training is to constantly make contact with your opponent, if one technique doesn't get him the other will. We use the hands and feet 50/50.

By fighting this way it creates confussion on your opponent, you strike to the head and strike to the legs at the same time, now your opponent doesn't know which one to block. Once he chooses which one to block the other hand strikes it's target. We use in 7-Star Mantis the footwork of the monkey and the hands of the mantis. Now just cause you see a person doing a mantis claw doesn't mean that it's mantis what he is doing.

When I was competeting I would see guys come up in the Kung Fu divisions introduce there form as a mantis form and you would see them just holding the mantis claw through out the form. I would go up to them and tell them that was not a mantis form that was something you created or were taught from someone who doesn't know mantis.

Remember we have 17 different styles so we use longfist, some plum blossom, we punch , backfist, hammerfist, poke eyse, you name it. So be careful out there with imitators. Mantis has a unique footwork in itself, it is very distinguishable. Hope this helps.

Peace

Mantismaster

Codeboy

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means (I've been studying seven star for almost two years) but I think that was a pretty good summary of the system from what I know.

It is important to get someone as a Sifu who has a verifyable lineage in the system too. Otherwise it could just be anyone calling themselves a Sifu who is making it up as they go along. Actually I heard someone talking in class last week that in a lot of tournaments they banned video cameras because people would come in and video tape forms, then go home and "learn" them and pass themselves off as a teacher.

flayofish

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello.
I live in Austin, TX and found this place: http://www.usakfa.com/

Does this guy look like the real thing?

-thanks

Edit: Here is the link where he discusses philosophy and there are some videos. http://www.usakfa.com/cave/index.html
The bottom video shows the instructor, Jeff Hughes, performing a Mantis form (I had to click videos twice to get them to come up). I'm not endorsing the school, just want opinions to help me decide.
-thanks

flayofish

White Belt
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance. I did some digging and found the answer I was looking for. Looks like I'll be signing up in a couple months.

OP
Mantismaster

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Flayofish

Sifu Jeff Hughes is a great teacher very knowledgeable and dedicated to his art. The whole group Kung Fu Exchange is lead by Master Raymond Fogg a good friend of mine, we have trained together and he has given seminars at my kwoon. Good luck in your journey, you will enjoy the knowledge you get. But make sure you cherish it.

Peace
Mantismaster

flayofish

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response.
I'm looking forward to starting soon.
Keep up the informative posts, they are quite helpful!

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Peace
Mantismaster

Hello Mantismaster.
I was wondering if you could verify someone for me as I am VERY interested in learnig 7star he is Sifu Jon Cheng. He's in Orange county, or if you could point me in the direction of a respectable teacher and NOT a paper tiger. I'm not looking for Wushu. Not knocking it, I'm just looking for the martial aspect. Again I'm in Orange county California. Thanks a lot.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Mantismaster.
I was wondering if you could verify someone for me as I am VERY interested in learnig 7star he is Sifu Jon Cheng. He's in Orange county, or if you could point me in the direction of a respectable teacher and NOT a paper tiger. I'm not looking for Wushu. Not knocking it, I'm just looking for the martial aspect. Again I'm in Orange county California. Thanks a lot.

Ronnin,

I am actually a student at his school (2 1/2 years now). From what I've experienced, I've enjoyed the instruction there. The instructors are knowledgeable and effective. We cover forms, applications, chi-sau, and weapons.

Sifu Cheng's lineage can be traced to both Lee Kam Wing and Raymond Fogg. He has strong ties to Sifu Hughes and others in the Kung Fu exchange in Texas.

PM me for any other questions, particularly if you think you want to stop by and check the school out.

OP
Mantismaster

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
John Cheng is actually my training brother my Sihing under Grandmaster Lee Kam Wiing. Enjoy your journey.

Peace

Mantismaster

Nitedragon89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello this is in regards to Ronnin I don't know if anyone reponsonded to you but sifu cheng is very reputable his lineage is under Lee Kam Wing so he is legit my teacher is on of his top disciples MR. Hung, so you will learn very good effective mantis, also I was wondering where in OC you live, Im in Mission Viejo, so I go to the Ladera Ranch school, there are also two others the original one is irvine and the other is rancho stana marguerita.

Nitedragon89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ronnin,

I am actually a student at his school (2 1/2 years now). From what I've experienced, I've enjoyed the instruction there. The instructors are knowledgeable and effective. We cover forms, applications, chi-sau, and weapons.

Sifu Cheng's lineage can be traced to both Lee Kam Wing and Raymond Fogg. He has strong ties to Sifu Hughes and others in the Kung Fu exchange in Texas.

PM me for any other questions, particularly if you think you want to stop by and check the school out.[/quot

If you don;t mind me asking which school do you attend?