Senpo Kaiten/Rolling question

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, Chris and Lklawson hit it on the head.

It is great to train your rolls and breakfalls on grass. Natures padded surface. However, even more important than that is to find competent instruction and train!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rolls falls tend to be common if you know how to fall. Being a gymnastics kid at one time I roll pretty well and so is my go to fall if I can get away with it.

Comparing roll falls to back falls in worth is a misconception. If you are flicked forwards for any reason. Rolling is pretty important. If your legs are swept. Backfalls is important

Both are part of a system of not face planting.

You can't really substitute one for the other and so it is better to learn both.
So what common falls proceeding from either fighting or every day life are best addressed with roll falls?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what common falls proceeding from either fighting or every day life are best addressed with roll falls?

Fighting.
Pushed from behind.
Tripped while running.
Any sutemi.
Executing a rolling thunder kick.
Any fall that goes on a bad surface like stairs.

Commonly
Getting pitched out of anything moving. Cars motorcycles skateboards.
Tripping over stuff.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting.
Pushed from behind.
Tripped while running.
Any sutemi.
Executing a rolling thunder kick.
Any fall that goes on a bad surface like stairs.
I contend that a standard front fall, not a roll fall, would be better for these.

Commonly
Getting pitched out of anything moving. Cars motorcycles skateboards.
None of these that are particularly common at speeds which might be helped with a roll fall. I will caveat that the case of a bicycle, going over the front handlebars would be useful for roll falling out of, MAYBE some skateboard, but certainly not modt that I've seen. But also any standard western style tumbling roll would work just as well.

Tripping over stuff.
again, better dealt with with a standard front fall, instead of a roll fall.

I'm enjoying the discussion. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience of being a klutz in daily life, I've been about 3 times as likely to use a breakfall than a roll fall, but I have done both.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I contend that a standard front fall, not a roll fall, would be better for these.

None of these that are particularly common at speeds which might be helped with a roll fall. I will caveat that the case of a bicycle, going over the front handlebars would be useful for roll falling out of, MAYBE some skateboard, but certainly not modt that I've seen. But also any standard western style tumbling roll would work just as well.

again, better dealt with with a standard front fall, instead of a roll fall.

I'm enjoying the discussion. :)

Front falls from my experience suck balls if i have generated any speed because you don't wash off any momentum you have built up. A front fall is a valid fall. (Part of a system) but I would only use it if my legs are cut out backwards behind me. And even then would probably do a pushup front fall.

Stopping quickly is the issue.

That way I catch the ground. If I m going forwards fast I roll. If I am going straight down I break fall.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my experience of being a klutz in daily life, I've been about 3 times as likely to use a breakfall than a roll fall, but I have done both.

I break fell into a car that pegged into me once. But I rolled off the top of it

Latest Discussions