Semaglutide - Cardiovascular Protection

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A large study on the effects of semaglutide strongly suggests it protects people from myocardial infarction and cerebrovascular accident beyond the weight loss benefits it provides! It may be as significant as statins have been in reducing heart disease!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A large study on the effects of semaglutide strongly suggests it protects people from myocardial infarction and cerebrovascular accident beyond the weight loss benefits it provides! It may be as significant as statins have been in reducing heart disease!

I've been following this news. It is possible that other GLP-1 agonists such as Tirzepatide (Mounjaro), which I take, may offer the same cardiac benefits; studies are ongoing. As a heart patient with heart failure and Atrial Fibrillation, I'm very interested. I also take a statin, and Metformin, so I have a bunch of 'miracle drugs' working for me, much good it's done.

On the other hand, I have currently been without Mounjaro for over a month, as there is a nationwide shortage. The same is true of Semaglutide. It seems that the popularity of these drugs for weight loss have caused a nationwide run on them, and the manufacturers are completely out for people who need them diabetes such as my wife and myself.

This is the new reality of prescription drugs. In addition to the nearly 10,000 dollar cost PER MONTH of my diabetes and heart medications (currently covered minus the first $6K per year by my insurance), many drugs are in short supply currently. Some of my drugs are literally life-threatening if I suddenly withdraw from them, and yet that is exactly what is happening. My wife spends a good part of her day calling around to all the pharmacies in a 100 mile radius tracking down the prescription drugs we need. What a world.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been following this news. It is possible that other GLP-1 agonists such as Tirzepatide (Mounjaro), which I take, may offer the same cardiac benefits; studies are ongoing.
Yes, I thinkmit is GLP-1agonists that have this beneficial effect.
As a heart patient with heart failure and Atrial Fibrillation, I'm very interested. I also take a statin, and Metformin, so I have a bunch of 'miracle drugs' working for me, much good it's done.
Well it’s impossible to know how you’d be if you weren’t taking those drugs.
On the other hand, I have currently been without Mounjaro for over a month, as there is a nationwide shortage. The same is true of Semaglutide. It seems that the popularity of these drugs for weight loss have caused a nationwide run on them, and the manufacturers are completely out for people who need them diabetes such as my wife and myself.
That’s very surprising. They can be obtained here on the NHS but it’s useful to order them at least a week before the patient needs them. Our pharmacists do all the phoning around to obtain them.
This is the new reality of prescription drugs. In addition to the nearly 10,000 dollar cost PER MONTH of my diabetes and heart medications (currently covered minus the first $6K per year by my insurance), many drugs are in short supply currently.
It’s the same here in the U.K. but I thought this was due to Brexit; we’re at the end of the very end of the queue when the EU is handing out stuff so we do miss out on the more important items.
Some of my drugs are literally life-threatening if I suddenly withdraw from them, and yet that is exactly what is happening.
I know of people being unable to obtain chemotherapy medication for their cancer treatments result in a delay to their treatment. Also anti-epileptic and HRT drugs are in short supply.
My wife spends a good part of her day calling around to all the pharmacies in a 100 mile radius tracking down the prescription drugs we need. What a world.
My neighbour discovered a breast lump last week. She had all her investigations performed, CT scan, staging report, Pick line insertion and then her first dose of chemo yesterday…7 days after she discovered it! I was very impressed.

Latest Discussions