Self-Defense situations

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is probably a common question, and a common thread, but seeing as I can't see it in the past few pages, I'll ask again: How many of you have actually been in a real fight, and how much did Muay Thai training help in that situation? Did you revert to instincts and pure brawling, maintain some principles of Muay Thai but still rely on base techniques, or did you actually manage to keep your head in the fight and do it like the movies?

and if you haven't been in a real fight, what kind of techniques do you think you'd most use, were you in one? would you use kicks, or rely on boxing and avoid any of the 'fancy stuff'?

Reaction score
well ive never been in a real fight but my instructor has out 3 men in hospital in korfoo (sp?) and has won many real fights and my assistant instructor got mugged a few weeks back and knocked the attacker to the ground with 1 straight punch and the other got away

and for the 2nd questoin it really depends on how the other person is standing , how many of them there are , what angle they are at , where their arms are etc. but i think a good front kick to the balls should do it , but i might also do the floowing as i have thought about this a lot:

repeted elbows to the head or long knee if im really close ,

med or long rang i would do a shovel kick or round kick to the side ,

and im pretty good at hard high kicks so i may go for a risky round kick to the head to win quickly and run away if theres more than 1 and the one i kick has his hands down (so he cant block)

so to sum it all up ive known muay thai to be effective for other people in real fights and it depends entirely on a number of things for the second questoin , but overall the whole thing depends on how skilful and strong you are IMO , but muay thai will certainly give you a better effect than not using it as the least it would do is demoralise your oponent , nobody wants to pick a fight then realise the "victim" does a martial art:jedi1:

isukgrar

White Belt
Reaction score
I also never had the self-defense situation, and hope not to have one in the future EEE.
But one thing that I think it will benefit if you can do MT, at least you can keep yourself councious, do not panic and know what to do.

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have been in fights. any martial arts training will help you out. cuz it gives you the tools necessary to defend yourself.

my training has come in when I've needed it.

but you should always avoid a fight if possible.

i almost punched some dude in the mouth the other day because he said **** you to me. then i said to him that i was gonna punch him in the face and his reply was "I'll ****ing kill you". then my friends informed him that i trained muay thai, JKD, and BJJ then he apologized.

so in a way knowing Martial arts prevented the fight. but it isnt always going to go down like that. also i shouldn't have allowed myself to lose control like that. it was just anger. but he thought because he works out that he can talk to ppl like that with no respect. i don't care how big your muscles are. i don't like disrespectful people.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being known as a martial artist can up the antie so to speak. When in high school around 1984, A guy at school heard my friend joking with me about my Bruce Lee impression. (Redheaded white boy, thumbing his nose and shuffling his feet etc..) This guy said, F*** that karate/kung fu S***, I'll just shoot you, pointing his finger at me and dropping his thumb like firing a weapon. I up'd the antie by asking if he had the gun with him. He said no, it's at home, it's my dads. I said you won't make home after school to get it without a broken trigger finger. He got po'd and ran to an administrator saying I threatened him. The admin. asked, did you say you would break his finger? I said yes, only after he threatened to shoot me. The admin. just scolded us both for talking trash so to speak. The next day at school, this guy didn't show up, but by the end of the day rumor was around that he had his dads gun and was gonna wait for me at my bus stop and follow me and take a shot at me. I was sweating bullets, no pun intended, when I got off the bus I booked for the nearest apt. building for cover and rounded a corner, and he was right behind me. This corner was a brick arch between 2 buildings with wood fencing around the far side, I turned the corner, stepped up the fence and rolled over the arch and landed kinda 3/4 beheind him as he steeped under the arch(Ya know ninja theater,LOL) One low round kick to the groin and an elbow to the nose put him down. I sat on his back and kinda frisked him for the gun and found it in his right jacket pocket, a .38 special. I took it as he squermed and put it in my pocket. I stepped on his right hand and grabbed his fore and middle finger and cranked, he yelled. I got up and ran. I gave the gun to a friend of mine who was in ROTC, I didn't want MOM to find it. The guy showed up to school the next day, racoon black eyes and his fingers all taped up. I'm pretty sure his PAW punished him for the loss of his gun. Don't know what ever became of the gun after that and that guy never spoke to me again. Some Muay Thai definately helped me out there, but I would hardly call it a Muay Thai fight. I can't realy count the fights I have been in, I used to bounce at a few clubs in DC and have seen more than enough and don't look forward to anymore. DC and other inner cities can be rough as hell. When people know you are into MAs, they put a bulleye on your back. PEACE

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, Jimi beat me to it, so I'll just adress the origional question. I've used lethwei quite a bit as a bouncer and in a few fights. A good roundhouse to the knee tends to end things quick on the street and clinches work well as entries to controlling drunk / agresssive customers. In the tight confines of the bar elbows are also great. ;)

OP
Giorgio

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haha when I train, I vary between the Fight Club soundtrack and muay thai bout music... either works, but usually the former if I'm feeling really pissed off.

Erik H

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been into too many fights. I have managed to talk my way out of a few and others usually back down whenever they see you don't but I have seen my share of them. Training does come into play and comes rather easily. As far as music goes, I listen to whatever gets me moving and I also use what I have seen and been through as fuel for training.

Erik H

Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
what kinda bands are you guys into?

i dont really listen to music as weird as it sounds , however i do like red hot chilli peppers and linkin park , and when i train at the gym my instructor puts club music on , sounds unusual and its rubbish music but it does get us in the mood to beat the crap out of the bags :supcool:

chris

Latest Discussions