Self Defence

jamesm

White Belt
Reaction score
Im new to Muay Thai so forgive me.

One of the things that certainly does attract about martial arts in general is the ability to protect yourself better on the street, do you feel Muay Thai does this, i know its an open question but maybe some of you have experienced self defence martial arts and maybe can compare it with Muay Thai from that sense.

Im not a thug so please dont presume this,

learning aiki jujitsu once a week or even twice a week is such a slow process and i feel it will take years to beable to really use it in a high pressure situation outside of the dojo.

Muay Thai appears to be something more useable, the other thing that attracts me is being conditioned to take punches which we do not train for and are probably going to happen in a street fight,

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some of the best weapons of muay thai (elbows & knees) are great for street/self-defense use. I think that martial arts training can provide the student with some practical use and defense when the need arises, but this relies on how good the student is and how they react in a bad situation. Just because a person trains in a particular style doesn't necessarily mean that he/she could defend themselves on the street. In my own experience, I believe muay thai is highly effective for self-defense purposes.

Latest Discussions