Secretly cross training?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in TKD (primary art) 3x a week.
I have been with my master from the start as he started his school and is trying to build up the program.

I am also taking private lessons in Shaolin Kung Fu 2x a week.

I havent told my TKD master that I am cross training. I feel like I am cheating on my wife so to speak. Me and my TKD master are very close as we discuss everything but for some reason I feel like I cant tell him that I am cross training. I feel like I have betrayed him or something.

We are like brothers but I dont want him to think that I know alot in TKD and now feel like I can handle another art when that is not even the case. The opportunity came to learn kung fu from a really good teacher so I didnt wanna pass it up being it is the art I always wanted to learn.

I have been doing it since January and it is hard to show some kung fu in TKD class. I keep them seperate but you cant help for it to show sometimes.

Anyone else who has been thru this?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I've trained with an instructor who was very negative about other arts, so I wouldn't mention if I was learning something else or practicing other movements or if I thought he was wrong in his interpretation of another art and its strategy. It was an uncomfortable situation, but definitely not one I felt bad or guilty about.

I think that you should try to resolve this situation. You need to examine your feelings and either release them, or have a conversation with your instructor. You never know, he might be very open to the idea as long as it isn't negatively impacting your TKD. Plus, it may give him an idea where some of your movement is coming from and aid his ability to help you in your martial process. There is the very real possibility that this will help your relationship with him grow. And, if so, then I think you've found a very good teacher.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a teacher who has students cross training, i would say tell him. He will only be hurt if he finds out from someone else, and he will. Since i was a white belt my teacher told me to go out and cross train. A good teacher is confident that you will come back to the source. if you do not come back then the teacher should be happy for you to of found what you are really looking for. The ones who get mad are the ones who are insecure with themselves.
With that said. Some teachers just want the loyalty. loyalty. loyalty. The truly loyal students are the ones who hope to one day learn the secret technique that their teacher holds. The problem is... so few teachers now a days have these hidden techniques. Because the ones who want your loyalty were not themselves.
Tell your friend, maybe he will be happy and you will be able to do a few things in class.
In Peace
Jesse

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I make no secret about my cross training. In fact, it was my teacher Brian who first suggested to me and others that it would be a very, very good idea to train in JKD for it's sensitivity in grappling, knife, and stick play. That led to trying wing chun for it's aggressive domination of centerline, tai chi for it's emphasis on relaxed motion, and most recently systema for exactly the same reason.

Having said that, I do understand your conflict in having a bit of kung fu sneak into your tae kwon do. I had to sit down with my JKD instructor, Shawn, because I felt exactly the same way. You feel you want to demonstrate your knowledge of TKD, and you should. This is your primary art, and so you pay tribute to your roots.

I was advised to not mind the technical differences so much. I was getting so wrapped up in hubud-to-straight-punch-to-neck-crank (for example) that I was missing the concept. The idea is to take the center, present a solid defence, and when there is an opportunity to strike from safety, take it! "Don't think so much," Shawn said. "Just do it."

Others have advised sitting down with your instructor. This is a good thing. It shows your loyalty, and your enthusiasm for learning.

I hope this helps you.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevIV said:
As a teacher who has students cross training, i would say tell him. He will only be hurt if he finds out from someone else, and he will. Since i was a white belt my teacher told me to go out and cross train. A good teacher is confident that you will come back to the source. if you do not come back then the teacher should be happy for you to of found what you are really looking for. The ones who get mad are the ones who are insecure with themselves.
With that said. Some teachers just want the loyalty. loyalty. loyalty. The truly loyal students are the ones who hope to one day learn the secret technique that their teacher holds. The problem is... so few teachers now a days have these hidden techniques. Because the ones who want your loyalty were not themselves.
Tell your friend, maybe he will be happy and you will be able to do a few things in class.
In Peace
Jesse

I think this is good advice. I have students that cross train also, and i think its great as long as it is done in a way that doesn't conflict with what i do at my school while they are in my school.
I have had personal students tell me up front about their training and I never had a problem with it. I encourage it.
I confess that i do feel badly when other personal students have felt they have to sneak training elsewhere and not be truthful with me.
You stand a better chance of maintaining a good relationship with your instructor by being honest. Just let him know it is no failing on his part but you just want to compliment the great stuff you already learn from him through cross training.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
The opportunity came to learn kung fu from a really good teacher so I didnt wanna pass it up being it is the art I always wanted to learn.
There has been some good advice, I agree you should tell him and I will add that you should follow your heart on what you want. That is most important. If your heart is not in "it" I don't believe you will be the best you can be in that art, just like any other endeavor in life.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ace since I know both of you, your Master is a very understanding gentleman and he will understand. By the way my sons also learn Sholin Kung fu from Segan Stphens and Sifu White, they complimant each other very well. Please be advise that the truth can only set you free from your delebration(sp). I'll talk to you later.
terry

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've had teachers who were so traditional that they thought a student had to ask permission to train with another instructor, and I've had teachers who were much more Western in their thinking ("Why would it be any of my business with whom you train when you're not here?"). Frankly, I take the latter view (though, just like you should tell your doctor if you're taking any medications he hasn't perscribed, your instructor should know about outside influences that might be affecting your learning of what HE is teaching).

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my old school liked the idea of having outside thought to keep everything relative. Too much of one thing isnt always good is what the old guru used to say.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think being up front with your instructor is the best thing to do. You compared it to cheating. When you're honest about what you're doing, it gives him an opportunity to be be understanding. (This bares no relation to ACTUAL cheating, however:) ) The 2 styles can compliment each other.

I wouldn't have thought so 6 months ago. But I've gotten help with my TKD from a KF trained person.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Kenpo instructor knew I am cross training with other styles (initially with Judo, now with Danzan Ryu JuJitsu). I have his full support. My Danzan Ryu JuJitsu also knows I'm in Kenpo. In fact, my JuJitsu training has helped me to be better in Kenpo and vice versa.

Before I started cross training, I too, felt the same way you did (very nervous and felt like I was "sneaking around"). My former Kenpo instructor (at the studio prior to the one I'm at now) was very much against training with others, whether a different style or the same. His feeling was "do not dishonor the instructor by diluting your training". I never did cross train until I left that instructor. Because of that, I wasn't sure if my current Kenpo instructor would feel the same way. I decided to tell him anyway and was surprised and pleased when he encouraged me to go ahead. He understood I loved Kenpo and wouldn't leave it anyway, even if I cross trained. He reminded me that the martial arts study is a personal endeavor, only I would be making the journey for myself. He will be there along the way. As a result, the trust level became stronger.

- Ceicei

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In the old days, most teachers did not want you to train elsewhere at the same time. They did not want there students saying my other teacher said to do it this way. Loyality is still important here.

Most of us agree for today's world, it seems exceptable to cross train.

Please let both/all your teachers know what you are doing. Be honest and fair with them. They (your teachers) are giving you there "ALL" to teach you!

Truthful..honestly...will always win here...........Aloha

PS: My son has been doing Kempo for almost 9 years, he wanted to do wrestling and judo for his high school, our Instuctor supported him all the way, (my son could not attend most of the Kempo classes, do to the hours they train at school).

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
If your instructor gets all butt hurt because you are cross training, you probably need to be going elsewhere anyways.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, my instuctor wants his students to go out and crosstrain, then show him what we've learned. He'll even do his best to help incorporate what you've learned elsewhere into what he teaches.

Jeff

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you should come clean on the deal. If you're instructor gets bent perhaps you're training in the wrong place.

Unless you're cross-training in ninjitsu... that's supposed to be a secret. ;)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Telling your instructor would be the right thing to do. In this case, since your primary art is Tae Kwon Do, and that you're branching out into Kung Fu, your instructor shouldn't feel belittled, as long as the Kung Fu school isn't a direct rival.

One of my old Karate teachers actually encouraged people to try significantly different martial arts, as long as they remembered where their martial arts home was.

Now, if you were, say, training at a different Tae Kwon Do school instead of a Kung Fu school on a regular basis, that would certainly be a sore spot unless you already had the instructor's approval.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I train in TKD (primary art) 3x a week.
I have been with my master from the start as he started his school and is trying to build up the program.

I am also taking private lessons in Shaolin Kung Fu 2x a week.

I havent told my TKD master that I am cross training. I feel like I am cheating on my wife so to speak. Me and my TKD master are very close as we discuss everything but for some reason I feel like I cant tell him that I am cross training. I feel like I have betrayed him or something.

We are like brothers but I dont want him to think that I know alot in TKD and now feel like I can handle another art when that is not even the case. The opportunity came to learn kung fu from a really good teacher so I didnt wanna pass it up being it is the art I always wanted to learn.

I have been doing it since January and it is hard to show some kung fu in TKD class. I keep them seperate but you cant help for it to show sometimes.

Anyone else who has been thru this?

This is a decision that you will have to make, seeing that you know him better than any of us. A rule of thumb that I always say when people start talking about X-training, is to wait until you've established yourself in a base art first.

As far as telling your inst. goes...I started x-training and my inst. knew about it. I never, unless I asked first, taught anything from the other arts, due to the fact that I did not want to hijack students or go down a different path as far as material goes. IMO, what I train in outside of the school is my decision. I was always loyal to my school, but felt that I should not have to get permission to train in something else. I'm always looking for ways to better my training. That being said, considering there is so much out there, why not, if its something you choose to do, try something else.

Mike

Latest Discussions