SD techs

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When your school teaches self defense is it base on sd fromlong ago handed down from generation to generation or is it more geared to today society issue. If it is gear from the past is it what your instructor tought you with a twist and if it geared toward today society where did you get it from books. seminars, common knowledge, videos or just as you go though your daily workout.
terry

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Kenpo, Mr. Parker was always making improvements, so I'd have to say the art is more geared towards today. Of course, I always do my best to check out other arts out there, to see what I can borrow and apply to what I do to enhance my own personal training.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
When your school teaches self defense is it base on sd fromlong ago handed down from generation to generation or is it more geared to today society issue. If it is gear from the past is it what your instructor tought you with a twist and if it geared toward today society where did you get it from books. seminars, common knowledge, videos or just as you go though your daily workout.
terry

I would have to say that several of the best SD techniques in my arsenal come from videos. The Ho Shin Sul's that I learned in TKD and TSD had some severe drawbacks for me and several videos I have in my library have simpler, more likely to succeed for me, IMO, responses. The Kenpo SD techniques I learned were much better for my particular needs (not knocking TKD or TSD, simply stating what SD worked better for me) but are not as simple as many of the ones I picked up from friends or videos. Again, so that we don't start a video vs. live training debate - I did NOT learn a style on video, simply a few simpler ways of using techniques I already knew from my formal training.

For instance, the KM "On the Edge" video had far more workable knife defences than the several I learned in a commercial, sport-oriented, TKD dojang. The ones I learned at that particular TKD school only worked, IMO, against the ice pick grip attack done in slow motion.

Good questions, Terry!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our schools/system, the Professor is always improving the techniques,skills we are learning. A few things will stay the same,the basic stuffs.

Every year...there are a few changes or added stuffs. It is a progession of knowledge, never ending, and always improving.

Each person can add to each techniques that is learn to make it his own. This is encourage for everyone, make it fit you the individual, from the basic steps,we add, we call it "ADD-INS".

When you see Kempo/Kenpo...practicing..you will understand this more.

This year we are doing hand full of Muay Thai drills that was added to our classes.....Aloha

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
As others have said, Kenpo is already geared toward practical self-defense. However there are still things that can be added to enhance the system. In the school where I train, we incorporate BJJ as well as drills and techniques from systems like Judo and Muay Thai. In the self-defense classes I teach I've also tossed some of the WWII combatives as taught by Applegate, Fairbairn, Styers, etc. and I'm always playing with stuff that I pick up at seminars and from training videos.

Latest Discussions