SD Seminar Video Clip

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Nothing special, definitely competent. And by that, I mean the techniques weren't super difficult crazy ninja moves, just good stuff that worked. I liked how he used similar body mechanics for several different scenarios. I'd like to see his training in more dynamic scenarios (not claiming he would be bad, just wondering what it would look like if attacks were followed through).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good solid techniques, I love seeing simple techs over all this high flying craola that some people do. Thanks for sharing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it and thought it brought a lot of different points on using improvised tools to defend yourself. That I think is very important. I was watching it at first not knowing that the instructor was a budo taijutsu adept and then as it was going along I am thinking wow this looks just like budo taijutsu.

Here is there website:
http://www.specwog.bujinkan.hr/

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The empty-hand stuff ooks pretty good, fairly straightforward material.

The things I have an issue with:

-The use of the fanny-pack, backpack strap, and jacket as flexible weapons against a knife attack (or any real attack for that matter). I feel that something like this is probably only going to work against the level of intensity shown in the video. Be able to pull it off consistently against this level of attack energy and I'd change my tune.
I did like the use of the jacket as a distraction and the backpack as a shield.

-Using the chair to execute locks. Seriously, you've essentially got 4 thrusting weapons (the legs)...forget the locks and jam them into the guy's face (he did a little of this but spent more time doing fancy crap).

Looks like it'd be a good seminar if the flashy junk was cut from the syllabus.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If a guy is really trying to stick you with a knife flipping a shirt in his face won't stop his forward movement.

The chair was ok as long as you used it to block, I noticed many of the locks the attacker could have gotten out of by just either retracting the knife hand or grabbing the chain with the other hand.

Still alot of his empty hand methods were good improvisations. And that really is the key, you improvise!

Deaf

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well there is a questionable isue with some of the more flashy techniques; flashy in that they were used against non-resisting opponents & "appear" successful. I have no issue using compliant partners to show case a technique but I aways believed in 1 action for 1 action not you attack & I stand here doing 3 or 4 different things in application. I know Karate has 1 & three step waza but, that more for conditioning the student to not be affraid of an attack more so then this is a self-defense application. Least from my own training...

Course I had a raised eye browl at the "Specwog" Special Warrior Operations Group it seemed too Special-High-Intentsy-Training to me, but hey MA is a business so I say go with it. lol

Otherwise, it seemed pretty basic & technique wise fairly sound. I'd have been more interested in how to deal with a avoiding those situations more so then fighting techniques. And like KenpoTex said the use of a shirt or fanny pack won't have much use against that level of intensity (i.e. armed assailant trying to stab you). I did like the fact that they gave everyone a taste of being tasered...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The empty-hand stuff ooks pretty good, fairly straightforward material.

Agreed.

The things I have an issue with:

-The use of the fanny-pack, backpack strap, and jacket as flexible weapons against a knife attack (or any real attack for that matter). I feel that something like this is probably only going to work against the level of intensity shown in the video. Be able to pull it off consistently against this level of attack energy and I'd change my tune.
I did like the use of the jacket as a distraction and the backpack as a shield.

I was involved in a discussion elsewhere, on the subject of knife defense. This same topic came up, that we have here....where you have a single attack, vs the type of attack that you linked in the other clip. I felt that it was 2 different types of attack, therefore, it needed to be handled differently than a single, committed attack. Other people in the discussion, seemed to disagree. To each his own I suppose.

Anyways...regarding the use of a fanny pack, jacket, etc., I'm wondering if it would be possible to still use those types of things, but only as a momentary distraction, not with the intention of trying to tie the person up, get a lock, etc. In other words, toss the item or hit them with it, and then continue your attack, in a relentless fashion.

No idea if this would actually work, as I've never worked it in training, however, its worth exploring.

-Using the chair to execute locks. Seriously, you've essentially got 4 thrusting weapons (the legs)...forget the locks and jam them into the guy's face (he did a little of this but spent more time doing fancy crap).

Looks like it'd be a good seminar if the flashy junk was cut from the syllabus.

Agreed on both. Personally, if I picked up a chair, I'm not going to be looking for locks, I'm going to be hitting him with it. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there is a questionable isue with some of the more flashy techniques; flashy in that they were used against non-resisting opponents & "appear" successful. I have no issue using compliant partners to show case a technique but I aways believed in 1 action for 1 action not you attack & I stand here doing 3 or 4 different things in application. I know Karate has 1 & three step waza but, that more for conditioning the student to not be affraid of an attack more so then this is a self-defense application. Least from my own training...

This is the way that I train my material....slow, gradually building up speed, resistance, etc. I try to stress this when I teach as well, although it seems that there are always some, who prefer the more, how shall I say it...relaxed method of training. *shrug* Oh well....I try. :)

Course I had a raised eye browl at the "Specwog" Special Warrior Operations Group it seemed too Special-High-Intentsy-Training to me, but hey MA is a business so I say go with it. lol

If you havent already, take a look at some of their knife clips.

Otherwise, it seemed pretty basic & technique wise fairly sound. I'd have been more interested in how to deal with a avoiding those situations more so then fighting techniques. And like KenpoTex said the use of a shirt or fanny pack won't have much use against that level of intensity (i.e. armed assailant trying to stab you). I did like the fact that they gave everyone a taste of being tasered...

:)

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is the way that I train my material....slow, gradually building up speed, resistance, etc. I try to stress this when I teach as well, although it seems that there are always some, who prefer the more, how shall I say it...relaxed method of training. *shrug* Oh well....I try. :)

I'm more a fan of using the RBC, Tony Blare-SPEAR, Jim Wagner, systema, spetsnaz method of short term training for SD siminars. Run, crawl, Run...

First you put the seminar particpants in the situation (shock them into the mindset), then teach them what they did right and/or wrong & give them some basics to correct it & then reapply the simulation. Its why the Russians can train their spetsnaz & the Chinese their commandos in a fraction of the time the US requires to get the same results.

If you havent already, take a look at some of their knife clips.

Yeah, thats kinda my point. Look at the chair-grappling as an example, the principles are the same as using a hanbo for stick grappling. Course if you watch the instructor lost control a couple of times & the assistant simply didn't move around or try to adjust position which would happen in a real fight. Even the knife videos had the same problem, stationary aggressor who stops their intenstity so the defender can effectively "defend the attack." Its not that the techniques where bad just not "show cased" in a way that incouraged learning.

Most seminars like this I been to sreve to draw in students for a longer training period more so then give them a quick & dirty skill set they can actually use and build on. Like I said, special high intenisty training :)

Latest Discussions