Always keep your guard up...

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Was on a call recently that could have gone badly. Went to a report of damage to property at a motel; resident trashed the place. When we got there another officer was already present and semi-restraining a person inside the room.

This person was ranting, bleeding from the right side of the neck but easily controlled by the first officer on scene (holding their hands while clutched to the persons chest). The room was a real mess but my recruit and I found a folding knife (the blade was closed).

This was, to us, a suicidal/mental health call and after a sergeant arrived the first officer went to inform him of the situation (medical was called due to the blood on the side of the neck; very minor).

While the first officer moved out of position I took it up while looking for anything that might tell us who this person was; another sector officer arrived to help as well, bringing the total up to 5 with the sergeant, my recruit, two officers and myself.

At the head of the bed, next to the wailing subject I noticed in their hands that had the same design and look as the handle of the knife already found in the room.

In the next half minute I forcibly took another knife off this person, the knife had blood on it, blade extended and was right under the throat.

The big thing here was that if this person was a little more determined to hurt themselves it could have been easily done. If they were anti-cop they had the opportunity to do a lot of surprise damage. If they were bigger I, and the others, could have been in for a heck of an extreme close quarters brawl where firearms employment might not be the best option based off of the location (ground floor motel room with rooms on both sides and above) and limited mobility (tight quarters and the destruction inside the room).

Just saying; keep your guard up and double check. I know when our SWAT team performs a warrant service they have someone double check. I know, from my time in narcs that even a double check does not always reveal someone who is hiding (I will put that one in a "war story").

Latest Discussions