scared

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hey i posted this kinda in another area but i was wondering what you all do when your ready to test

Like im really scared cus i got my high orange testing in about a month i know to most of you it might not be a big deal but this is my first testing at this school and also my first testing infront of a male instructor and im really scared i know teh skills well but that doesnt seem to make it go away any more so what do you all do how do you prepare and do you have any tips to clam the nerves

A

AaronLucia

What are you scared of? You must change your mentality to one of victory. Don't look at it as if you are going to do bad, look at it like you are going to be the best student there!

I had a similar problem with public speaking (which i'm sure alot of people have), and i did alot of doubting of myself. Now I tell myself i'm going to be the most kick butt speaker there, and while i'm not exactly the best, i don't fear speaking that much anymore.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think that your instructor wouldn't have put you on the test if he didn't think that you were ready. Keep training as hard as you can on all of your material as well as the other things that may be on the test, such as the sit ups, push ups, etc.

As for being nervous...don't worry about it. Thats one of the points of a test...to see how a person reacts under pressure.

Keep training hard and do your best to stay relaxed. Its easier said than done, but I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Make sure you let us know how you do!

Mike

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im not sure why im scared i mean iv tested befor (duh i got my orange belt) but i recently moved from my home town and went away to college found new school with 2 totaly awsome instructors and i guess im afaiid im gonna let them down or worse my old instructor will be there ( i invited her cus shes really sweet) but then i like totaly freaked out cus i got 3 people who i have the utmost respect for all in one room and they are all watching me and im terrified im gonna mess up some how iv done the forums about a thousand times i can keep up with the guys when it comes to sparring and sit ups im a bit lagging in pushups but my female istructor is ok with that the male says he will fix that in time so i should have nothing to worry about but i am and its not cool cus yeah i love doing tkd and i dont ever wanna feel this un easy about anything that has to do with it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being scared is part of the journey being able to do your best while being scared is taking care of that journey. In all honesty everybody gets a little scared about a test no matter what belt we are talking about, the ones that can bottle that emotion is the one that truely are able to focus on that test.You must remember you know the material or else you would noy be testing...

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brandi,

If you're testing, you obviously know your forms and one-steps and kicking. Just try thinking of it as another class. Once you're 'in the zone' and doing it, it really doesn't matter who's there, does it? Only good things can come from having people watch you - and you may surprise yourself at how relaxed you really are. Good luck! KT

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Being scared is a natural reaction to this sort of thing.
I am an asistant instructor myself, and every time I test students I always see or can tell that at least one or two of the students are scared, I see it all the time.
And I will admit that even I have been scared at a couple of my testings, I think that everyone has been scared at least once at one of their testings.
I herd it said by a master instructor close to my area, saying: "If you are not at least a little bit nurvious or scared, then this doen't mean anything to you, or you dont find it the least bit important."
Having said that, it tells me you cherish your training, which is very good.
Also, it's like an old saying Im sure that most people have herd it already, "The preperation for battle is actually harder than the battle it self."
I also herd this from a grand master at a testing one time: "Think of it in a sense that it is not a test, only a ceremony, this is your time to just simply show off your training.":asian:
I hope this helps you as it did me.

- Hwoarang_tkd26

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if you truly know the stuff it will become second nature so, try to calm yourself down...clear your mind...and just do your best. Your Sensei and other instructors are not a$$holes i am sure...and if they see that you've done your best and you don't half a$$ your training and you always put in 110% then I am sure you will do fine at your test. Good luck! :asian:

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i have so many reasons not to test ... i just started college i got a mission trip im going on a week befor testing (gonna kill me to get outta practice) im a freashman in college so my class load is something totaly new to me ...i have so many reasons not to and only a hand ful of why i should , cus i want to cus i know i can do it and cus its important to me ...but if its important to me why would i really consider not testing this round ...like i have seriously been doing ugh its just really fustrating

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
my sensei once had me read a excerpt that basically said that every one in martial arts in in martial arts for a reason, most have inner demons that they are dealing with...or some are trying to develop self confidence, some are serching for themselves in this strange world. but one things for sure, when your in that dojo you are only thinking about the MA and nothing else, everything else takes second priority. it is the one place your true self shows. Testing is nothing more than showing yourself and your instructors your progress, you earned the test and you deserve to know what you know and what you need to work on.

Sereph: "Again I apoligize I had to see if you are the one."
Neo: "You could have just asked"
Sereph: "You don't really know someone unil you fight them"

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
im not sure why im scared i mean iv tested befor (duh i got my orange belt) but i recently moved from my home town and went away to college found new school with 2 totaly awsome instructors and i guess im afaiid im gonna let them down or worse my old instructor will be there ( i invited her cus shes really sweet) but then i like totaly freaked out cus i got 3 people who i have the utmost respect for all in one room and they are all watching me and im terrified im gonna mess up some how iv done the forums about a thousand times i can keep up with the guys when it comes to sparring and sit ups im a bit lagging in pushups but my female istructor is ok with that the male says he will fix that in time so i should have nothing to worry about but i am and its not cool cus yeah i love doing tkd and i dont ever wanna feel this un easy about anything that has to do with it
Think or write out a list of things that are "The worst that could happen" and then think about what you already know or might need to tweek some in order to avoid your part in that worst case scenario.

I think you will find that the things will fit into two categories, things you can do something about (or already have the skills in place/beaten the problem before) and things that are beyond your control... can't do anything about the latter so just go with it and be confident that "hey they can't kill me" and drive on.

New is scary. Change is unsettling. Happens. Take charge of it, stare it in the face and change the "boogie man" into the "strawman" it really is.

S

sasquatchnaruto

As long as you know your material you wont have a problem

O

OC Kid

My feeling as a instructor, I know whether or not a student is ready for the next rank.
The test is for the student not the instructor.

Believe me once the test starts you will be on automatic

Just enjoy it really its that simple.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
i have so many reasons not to test ... i just started college i got a mission trip im going on a week befor testing (gonna kill me to get outta practice) im a freashman in college so my class load is something totaly new to me ...i have so many reasons not to and only a hand ful of why i should , cus i want to cus i know i can do it and cus its important to me ...but if its important to me why would i really consider not testing this round ...like i have seriously been doing ugh its just really fustrating
I feel EXACTLY the same way before all my tests... Its natural, but in most cases, as has been pointed out... your instructor knows if you are ready or not...

Dont sweat everything going on AROUND the test. They are all unrelated...

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just remember to breath and have a little fun, I know that it is easier said. The fear of testing is a good thing, it partially simulates the feeling many get before an altercation on the street. Personally, I'll try and get mad at myself for being scared, it changes the emotion away from fear and cranks up the intensity a notch. 15 minutes into the test, you'll forget about being scared at all. Good Luck!!!
Sean

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
hey i posted this kinda in another area but i was wondering what you all do when your ready to test

Like im really scared cus i got my high orange testing in about a month i know to most of you it might not be a big deal but this is my first testing at this school and also my first testing infront of a male instructor and im really scared i know teh skills well but that doesnt seem to make it go away any more so what do you all do how do you prepare and do you have any tips to clam the nerves
I have been in the martial arts for 15 years and I am afraid everytime I spar someone, everytime I test, and I get nervous teaching. It never went away for me, its natural dont worry about it, just deal with it.

Latest Discussions