Anti-terror/stalking/personal safety techniques.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul J started a thread describing his contribution to some military friends and recieving a coin in recognition for that help.

In that thread I started talking about considerations that, for the average person's self defense tool box, would be considered "personal safety/identity security" issues.

In the service, it was under the heading of anti-terrorism and Operational Security training but the same practices can be applied to anyone who wants to avoid leaving too many tid bits of information that might be used in a fraud, abuse, stalking situtation.

What 'personal safety/identity security' practices to others use to safeguard themselves from either regular or internet breachs.

Here are some things that might get the ball rolling.

1. If you are concerned about personal/identity protection from a specific person (ex husband/boyfriend...) getting an unlisted phone number to reduce the chance of them calling you.
2. If you are maintaining an internet website or profile of somekind, do not give out specific geographical or time schedule information so that you don't get surprised with an unwanted visit or followed from that point into the rest of your routines.
3. Use caller ID to screen calls and also to RECORD any attempts that the unwanted party makes to contact you.
4. DON'T throw out (without destroying in some way) any 'pre-approved' applications for travel, credit cards.... that will usually contain pre-printed personal data.

There are a lot, but what others do you use/teach/pass on to your kids or others?

Whether called Operational Security or Personal Safety/Identity protection, this topic is probably more important (because of the statistical likelyhood) to mastery your self defense training than the kicking/punching skills of self defense IMO. By no means am I saying that you should stop learning physical defense, just saying that mastering and applying other skills makes you more 'real world prepared' than if you only focus on the physical skills.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good points there. I am also sure to tear up just about everything made of paper that has our name and address on it before I throw it in the garbage.

When the telemarketers call, I give them zero information. In fact, I usually just tell them "thanks, but no thanks".

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Good points there. I am also sure to tear up just about everything made of paper that has our name and address on it before I throw it in the garbage.

When the telemarketers call, I give them zero information. In fact, I usually just tell them "thanks, but no thanks".
Yup, I love the "Would you say you spend XYZ amount on long distance....?" or EVEN WORSE "It shows here that you are currently paying...." This sharing of your information between cooperating companies is BS IMO, for a while I was getting calls and offers with companies that have referral rights through the utilities... that means 'targeted marketing' based on the spending habits they can study from your bills - including Credit cards at times.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
commen sense is the best way to stay out of trouble. Such as not going to bars and keeping gto yourself and not starting anything is the way to go. Now when someone starts something you finish it....there is nothing wrong with take proper precausions but there is a problem with being paranoid.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
commen sense is the best way to stay out of trouble. Such as not going to bars and keeping gto yourself and not starting anything is the way to go. Now when someone starts something you finish it....there is nothing wrong with take proper precausions but there is a problem with being paranoid.
Not talking paranoid here, just good habits. Locking your car doors or house as precaution against theft or threat isn't paranoid so much as a precaution that gives you peace of mind.

Same with the things that I am looking for with this thread.

I think we all know someone who had an 'annoying ex' that wouldn't leav them alone and had the potential of getting dangerous. Some even have gotten dangerous.

Business people/Americans (like the missionaries in the Phillipines) travelling in foriegn countries have been taken targetted and taken hostage...

These are unfortunate occurances.

The terrorists that committed the 9/11 attrocity slipped under the radar and were linked to terrorist cells from within the US borders.

My point with this is that self defense deals with so many different skills that mastering only kicking and punching isn't enough.

Think of it in terms of 'con man defense' or what ever you want but it is the adult equivalent to the stranger danger/DARE programs that kids get today.

TGACE has some great posts on things like this with the "Gift of Fear" and tactical topics as well.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
COMMEN sense is the best way to stay out of trouble. Such as not going to bars and keeping gto yourself and not starting anything is the way to go. Now when someone starts something you finish it....there is nothing wrong with take proper precausions but there is a problem with being paranoid.

Key phrase Commen sense,, play it smart.....a lock on a door is only to keep honest people honest.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
Key phrase Commen sense,, play it smart.....a lock on a door is only to keep honest people honest.
And being smart about how and where you reveal information about yourself, your travel patterns and your associates is also 'common sense.' But, does that mean that it should be identified, isolated for enhancement/discussion to share the wealth? No. 'Common Sense' IMO isn't nearly as common as people would like to think.

Paralleling this to physical training, it might be 'common sense' to do a technique a certain way, but it isn't so 'common sensical' to a newbie/white belt or someone who hasn't really taken the time to pay attention to the topic specifically, that is why it is called training.

This is off topic,

Any takers to get it back on track?

M

Mark Weiser

I have found that in teaching Anti Terrorism or Anti Crime take your choice that most people do not even think about being safe until the act occurs or they have become a victim.

The common sense approach is okay but then again it depends on whom you are dealing with if that person has any common sense. Simple ideas and techniques are the best way to train those without prior training or exposure.

Simple things like looking in your backseat thur your window or pushing down on the trunk to close it before entering your car, Locking your doors before starting up your car, Never walk thur an area that is not lighted up at night, etc....

T

ThatWasAKick

I think the most important self-defense tool we have is simply being aware of our surroundings.
On the other hand, we don't want to be paranoid. That hyper-tenseness just reduces our ability to spot danger by decreasing our intuition.

My biggest tool is that I talk to strangers. I've met more nice people that way, and gotten rid of a couple nasty ones.

As far as junk mail, etc. I don't own a shredder. I just toss it all. Is this too lackadaisical (sp?)?

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ThatWasAKick said:
I think the most important self-defense tool we have is simply being aware of our surroundings.
On the other hand, we don't want to be paranoid. That hyper-tenseness just reduces our ability to spot danger by decreasing our intuition.

My biggest tool is that I talk to strangers. I've met more nice people that way, and gotten rid of a couple nasty ones.

As far as junk mail, etc. I don't own a shredder. I just toss it all. Is this too lackadaisical (sp?)?
That 'contact the stranger' type of habit is a postive customer service AND loss prevention tactic all in one. It sets up a friendly demeanor (which may humanize you to a potential attacker/thief) and also lets them know that you have seen them (read can ID them later on) and that they have not been allowed to blend in and use the 'grey man' tactic.

Awareness is a useful tool for sure, but I am really looking for stuff on ID protection/personal safety in the realm of controlling how and when personal data is put out into public access to reduce the likely hood that someone can find you/steal your identity for waste, fraud and abuse (financial or physical).

My wife's co-worker had someone using her SSN/Name to apply for bank accounts and credit cards and has really done a number on her financial history. Change the intent of the bad guy and such information could be used to find and stalk/snatch her if he wanted to do that too.

I guess this could be described as 'information/ID awareness' for lack of a better term...

Are you lazy? NO. I don't have a shredder either. I just rip up the pre-approved junkmail and use it for fire starter in my grill or just throw it away under the wet stuff (coffee grounds, veggie peels, rotten food forgotten in the back of the fridge)... they earned what ever they get if they can put up with piecing together rotten garbage soaked shreds :).

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.bbbonline.org/understandingprivacy/toolbox/tips.asp

Privacy Tips
You can teach a screen saver new tricks.
If you’re concerned about others accessing your computer files when you’re not around, but don’t have time to keep turning the computer on and off, you can password protect your PC screen saver so that only you can deactivate it. To do so, go to the Control Panel (click Start, then select Settings, Control Panel) and double-click on Display. Select the Screen Saver tab and check the Password Protect box.

You can find out a lot by reading privacy policies.
Many stores now offer club discount cards that provide price discounts on certain items. Some also allow you to build up points similar to frequent flyer programs. In exchange for these and other benefits, you will be asked to share some personal information. So be sure to read the membership agreement fully, or speak to a member of the store’s customer service team if you have questions about their privacy policies.

It’s too easy to throw away your identity with the trash.
All it takes is a social security number for a thief to obtain credit cards, loans and other lines of credit in your name. And it’s not so tough to find. Protect yourself from identity theft by shredding credit card receipts, bills, pre-approved credit card applications and other sensitive documents before throwing them in the garbage.

You can get more out of your mail by reading it.
Getting more mail lately? A new law requires financial institutions to clearly communicate their privacy policies to their customers. This means your banks, credit card companies and other financial institutions are sending you their policies on privacy and information sharing. PLEASE READ THEM! Most will allow you to opt-out of their information sharing programs if you so choose.

You can give identity thieves the slip by holding on to your receipts.
Many merchants are taking extra precautions to protect their customers from having credit card information stolen from discarded sales receipts. They do this through a process call truncating –replacing the last several digits with asterisks (e.g., 1234 5678 9101 ****). However, not all merchants choose to truncate the number, so when you pay with a credit card, make sure you either keep your sales slip or properly destroy it.

Identity theft is as close as your mailbox, so pay a visit to the Post Office instead.
Each payment envelope you send from your mailbox, inbox or outbox is a sitting duck for an identity thief. We often forget how much sensitive information is contained in just one statement stub, whether it is your electricity, water or credit card bill. Don’t let it sit there for the taking. By dropping your mail in a USPS collection box, you can dramatically reduce your risk of identity theft.

You can increase your security by making it a monthly ritual.
Each month you receive a credit card statement with a list of charges. Each month you should carefully check each statement for charges you didn't make. Call your credit card company immediately to report any suspicious charges. For those who infrequently pay with credit, this may be the first sign that your credit card has been stolen.

Fido is a good name for a dog, but a bad password for you.
Hackers know common names people use. Always use a combination of numbers and words you can’t find in the dictionary. It's also a good idea to change your password on a regular basis and avoid storing it near your computer.

There's a reducing plan -- for your mailbox.
If you want to receive only certain catalogs, contact the organizations sending you the ones you don't want and ask to be taken off their mailing lists. Alternatively, you can remove your name from most national mailing lists by contacting the Direct Marketing Association at www.dmaconsumers.org/offmailinglist.html#how and click on Preference Services. If you're not online, you can also call the DMA at 212.790.1488. They will put you in a "delete" file that is sent to subscribing organizations several times a year.

You can give your Social Security number more security by not writing it on the back of a check.
Don't give it over the phone, either. Where possible, try not to use your SSN as your sole identification number. Make it difficult for thieves to steal it by crossing out the parts that contain your SSN or other identifying information when discarding pay stubs, credit card receipts and other such documents.

Chat rooms are for chatting, not for dating.
When possible, avoid using your actual name or primary e-mail account and instead use a second alternate online account or screen name as an "alias" when taking part in online discussions.

To read is to protect yourself.
Read the privacy policy of all the sites with which you do business, including your Internet service provider and other individual Web sites. You can to learn the type of identifying information, if any, they collect, how they use it, and with whom it is shared. Look for an e-mail address or phone number to contact in case you have questions about security procedures. Any site that asks for information about you should have a privacy policy statement.

There's no place like home for your sensitive information.
Increasing numbers of employers are monitoring employees' e-mail and Web usage in the workplace. To ensure the privacy of any sensitive information, keep it at home. And if you must discuss sensitive issues by e-mail, develop the habit of double-checking the header to make sure your message is going only to the intended recipient and not to a wider "reply to all" distribution list.

Strangers can be strange until you get to know them.
The age-old adage, "don't talk to strangers," has been updated in this age of online communications to "don't talk to strangers who ask for information they don't need to know." Unless it's with a trusted company or you feel comfortable with why your information is needed, it's almost never a good idea to release your personal information to someone you have never met. Increase your trust level by reading their online privacy policy statement.

You can keep your information private - even in public.
Ever use public computers, such as in the library or cafe? Or do you share your computer with others? As you browse, your cache stores Web sites you have visited so that your browser can store them locally instead of going to the Web site. This helps to speed up your browsing on a private computer, but can also allow your habits to be tracked on a public one. To prevent this from happening, go to the "Preferences" folder in your browser and click on "Empty Cache." Also, be sure to close the browser before leaving.

***** is a good name when shopping on the Internet.
When giving your credit card information online, be sure to ask whether they use encryption to scramble your data against third-party viewing and how they safeguard your stored data from online hackers. One of the easiest ways to ensure that you have a secure, encrypted connection while doing business online is to check whether the URL (Web address) begins with "https://" rather than simply "http://" before you transmit credit card information. To be certain, you may wish to install encryption software on your own computer to protect your e-mail and files from others who may disregard your personal privacy.

Just because someone offers you a cookie doesn't mean you have to take it.
Browser users often have the option to be notified before accepting a cookie and to accept only cookies that connect with the originating server hosting the Web site that placed the cookie - rather than third-party servers for advertisers, for example. Reputable sites should clearly inform you how they plan to use the cookies deposited on your browser. Various types of software and services are available to help you manage cookies, including those that serve as a proxy or shield between you and the sites you visit. You can opt-out from online advertising cookies by visiting the Web site of the Network Advertising Initiative. For more information on other tools, click here.

You can choose your callers instead of them choosing you.
If you'd like to be on the "don't call" list, send your name, address and phone number to the Telephone Preference Service, c/o Direct Marketing Association, P.O. Box 9014, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014. Major nationwide telemarketers participate in this service. Your local phone company may also offer some "custom calling services" like Caller ID and Call Block which can be used to limit unsolicited calls.

Records are for remembering more than just memories.
Most e-commerce sites present you with a summary of your transaction before you click a send or buy button. Print this out or save it as a file to refer to later if necessary.

Most credit cards companies give you credit when something goes wrong.
If someone steals or uses your credit card number, most credit card companies cover fraudulent charges or limit your liability resulting from unauthorized use of your card. Keep the phone numbers of the credit card companies you deal with in a safe place so you can contact them immediately if something goes wrong.

You can stop the e-mail before it becomes mail. Getting mail is fun.
But if you'd like to cut down on the amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail, you can contact the e-Mail Preference Service (e-MPS) offered by the Direct Marketing Association. You can register with the service by logging on to www.e-mps.org. All DMA members who wish to send unsolicited commercial e-mail must purge their e-mail prospecting lists of the individuals who have registered their e-mail address with e-MPS. The service is also available to non-DMA members.

M

Mark Weiser

I am currently developing a Continuing Educational Course just on this subject for Medical Personnel.

The problem is most are not aware of how easy it is to gain access to you either electronically, in person, or thur other human beings aka co workers, Neighbors, etc....

The main foundation for self defense is too know that DANGER is always possible and then you learn how to deal with it directly and with overwhelming force and within the confines of the legal system that you are under.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How Burglars Choose Their Victims
What makes a particular house stand out as a tempting target for burglars?

According to researchers at Temple University in Philadelphia, homeowners should ask themselves the following questions to determine if their house is inviting to an unwelcome visitor:

-Is the house within three blocks of a major thoroughfare?
-Is the house on a cul-de-sac?
-Is the house adjacent to a wooded area, abandoned railroad tracks or park?
-Is the house relatively more expensive than others in the neighborhood?
-Are the occupants of the house newcomers to the neighborhood (within the past year)?

If you answered "Yes" to three or more of these questions, your house may be a prime target for burglary, according to the Temple research findings.

Do alarms deter burglaries? It appears they do. The home without an alarm is nearly three times as likely to be burgled, the study revealed.

Source: Temple University

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://nsi.org/Tips/safetypr.htm

Introduction
It has been said about self defense training that fully half of what we learn is preventive, and we practice it in hopes of never having to use the other half.
--Joan Nelson,

All activities (driving a car, filling the bathtub, walking through the parking lot at night) entail some risk. We all have different attitudes toward risk. At one end of the scale is refusing to engage in an activity by exaggerating the risk involved. At the other end is engaging in very risky activities while refusing to take any precautions. Neither of these attitudes are useful for living an empowered life. What is useful is to accurately assess the risks involved, take whatever precautions make sense, and live as fully as possible.
I would like to hear your comments on which of these guidelines you follow and whether they make sense in your cultural/gender context. Following these guidelines will not guarantee your safety, but will minimize your availability to an assailant.

GENERAL
-Create a safety plan.
-Listen to and act on your intuition. It's better to be safe and risk a little embarrassment, than stay in an uncomfortable situation that may be unsafe.
-If you are in danger or being attacked and want to get help, yell "Call 911!" or give specific directions to onlookers; for example: "You! Get the police!" or "Walk me to the store on the corner, I'm being followed."
-Have your keys ready when approaching your car or building.
-Vary your routine: drive or walk different routes every day.
-If you suspect that someone is following you, by foot or in a car, don't go home (or they will know where you live). Go to a trusted neighbor or to a public place to call police, or directly to police station.
-Do not label keys with your name or any identification.
-Don't talk about your social life or vacation plans where strangers can overhear you.
-Always carry enough change for a telephone call.

IN YOUR HOME
-Have lights in all entrances.
-Have good locks on all doors and windows.
-Do not use your full name on your mailbox or in the phone directory, or on your answering machine.
-Do not leave a schedule of your times away from home on your answering machine.
-If you live alone, do not let strangers know. Invent a roommate or big dog.
-Know which of your neighbors you can trust in an emergency.
-Check who is at the door before opening it, and do not open the door to an unexpected visitor.
-Don't hide extra keys in easily accessible places. Criminals will find them.
-Ask for photo identification of all repair persons, etc. If you are still suspicious, call to verify employment.
-Never give personal information to telephone solicitors.
-Consider creating a "safe room" with a separate telephone line or cellular phone, and strong locks. If someone breaks in, you can retreat there (with children) and call for help.
-Do not let strangers into your home to use the phone. Offer to make the call for them.

ON THE STREET
-Don't hitchhike.
-Be very careful using outside ATMs at night or in unfamiliar surroundings.
-When on the street, walk facing oncoming traffic. It will be harder for someone to pull you into a car and abduct you.
-Tell someone where you'll be and what time you're supposed to return, or if you will be with someone you don't know well.
-Try to not overload yourself with packages. If you must have your hands full, visualize how you would respond if approached, how you would get your hands free, etc.
-Do not wear music headphones while walking or jogging.
-Do not read while walking or standing on the street.
-If you wear a purse with a shoulder strap, be prepared to let it go if snatched. Otherwise you may be hurt if the mugger knocks you down and drags you. while fleeing with your purse.
-If someone asks you for directions, and if you choose to reply, remain at least two arms lengths away.
-Clogs, high heels, and tight skirts are hard to run and fight in. Capes, scarves, and long necklaces are easy to grab. Modify your fashion style, orwear comfortable clothing when walking alone (change into dress-up clothes later), or think through how you would fight in your dress-up clothes (for example, kicking off your high heels or hiking your skirt up around your hips before starting to run or kick)
-Avoid being on the street alone if you are upset or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or have someone go with you.
-When dropping someone off at their home, make sure they are safely inside before driving away. Have them do the same for you.

IN A CAR
-Check the inside and around your car before entering to insure that no one is hiding there.
-Check your surroundings before getting out of your car.
-Don't pick up hitchhikers
-Keep doors locked and windows rolled up so that a hand can't reach in.
if a group of suspicious people approaches you when you are stopped at a red light at a deserted intersection, run the light if your intuition tells you that the situation could get dangerous.
-Don't let gas indicator fall below 1/4.
-Plan your route and check a map before you start out.
-Park in well-lighted, heavily traveled areas if possible.
-Try not to park next to a van, as you can be pulled in through the sliding door.
-Don't leave valuables in plain sight inside your car.
-Give only ignition key to attendant.
-If you see an accident or stranded motorist, report it from the nearest telephone instead of stopping.
-Carry in your car:
flashlight, flares, fix-a-flat, maps, comfortable warm clothing, first aid kit, empty gas can, white cloth to tie to antenna to signal distress, cellular phone.
-Learn basic auto maintenance.

ON PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
-Beware overheard conversations. Do not tell anyone on the bus or subway where you are going.
-Stay awake and alert.
-Have exact change ready.
-Try to sit near the driver.
-If you sense someone is following you when you get off, walk toward a populated area. Do not walk directly home.

AT THE OFFICE
-Don't leave your keys lying about
-Notify security personnel if you notice suspicious persons or vehicles, especially after normal working hours.
-Be extra careful in stairwells and isolated or poorly-lighted restrooms.
-In an elevator stand near the controls and locate the emergency button.
-Do not get in an elevator with someone who looks suspicious to you.
-Know your co-workers and look out for each other.
-At every phone: Emergency numbers for security, police, fire departments, and list of employees who are trained in CPR or first aid.

DEFENSE AGAINST DOGS
-When confronted by a threatening dog, our impulse is often to turn and run - the worst response, since movement triggers the chase instinct in dogs.
-Stand very still and try to be calm.
-Dont scream at the dog and run.
-Be aware of where the dog is. Look in its general direction, but dont stare into its eyes. This is considered an aggressive challenge.
-Let the dog sniff you.
-In a low voice say, "No! Go home!"
-Stay still until the dog leaves.
-Back away slowly until it's out of sight.
-If a dog does attack, try to "feed" it your workout jacket, bike equipment (briefcase, purse) to distract the dog while you back slowly away towards safety.
-If you are knocked down or fall, curl into a ball and keep your hands over your ears, face, and neck. Try not to scream or roll around.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crash Course
The National Safety Council has these suggestions for what to do if you witness or are the first to arrive at the scene of an auto accident:

-Pull a good distance off the road and put on your emergency flasher.
-Warn oncoming traffic and send someone for the police and an ambulance immediately.
-If engines of the vehicles involved in the collision are running, switch them off to avoid fire or explosion.
-Check conditions of the victims without moving them. Try to keep them warm and as comfortable as possible until help arrives.

Source: National Safety Council