scared

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hey i got my High Orange testing comeing up soon and im really scared i know all the stuff but i havent tested at this school befor ...do any of you have any ideas how to clam the nervers or any confident bosters?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
First off, do your best to calm yourself before the test, because the only way you're going to flub it is if you're so nervous that you make yourself screw up.

Secondly, do your best to calm yourself before the test, because the only way you're going to flub it is if you're so nervous that you make yourself screw up.

For the above, one thing you can do is a deep breathing exercise. What works even better, is having some faith in yourself, and in your instructor. You wouldn't be testing if you weren't ready for it.

Good luck. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually people that are scared are those that haven't prepared for a test. This is just like studying for a test in school, if you are ready you just do what you have already done a couple hundred times before. Don't you show what you can do for your instructor now? Its the same thing. If your instructor is one of the testors, he has seen you before, no big deal. And you wouldn't be testing if your instructor didn't think you were ready so its just a formality to do all the stuff together at once.

Just don't think of anyone else there testing and don't look at the instructors, face the direction you are supposed to face but don't "look" at anyone, focus on only what you are doing-next.

It should be fun! Part of this is to gain confidence, you trained, you're ready, go get 'em. (the belt) TW

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tiger,

Don't forget about test anxiety. After having taught for around 12 years, i have to say that I have seen many who were ready and knew their material, but still don't test well. Actually, this is fairly well documented. What I recommend for this kind of person is to teach. Once something loses its shock value (performing in front of others) it is no biggie.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kodanjaclay said:
Tiger,

Don't forget about test anxiety. After having taught for around 12 years, i have to say that I have seen many who were ready and knew their material, but still don't test well. Actually, this is fairly well documented. What I recommend for this kind of person is to teach. Once something loses its shock value (performing in front of others) it is no biggie.

That's an interesting approach. But a yellow belt cannot teach another yellow belt in our school. Actually only BB's can and the master. But we do have individuals get up in front of the rest of the class and do their forms as practice even two at a time. I guess that would work depending on the environment. All new to tkd-teens don't like to perform in front of peers, being afraid of criticism though. But we practice so much together after a while, it feels more like familiy and its no big thing. I have seen more people "freeze" in tournaments. Usually in tests, adults do well but children are overwhelmed and sometimes have to close their eyes. Teens do well too, probably better than adults because of their flexibility. TW

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tiger,

Traditionally martial brothers and sisters were responsible for their juniors. In this case, it is a yellow belt's responsibility to help a white belt. Not to mention, the mere act of teaching someone reinforces what you have studied. This is still teaching, just not formally. It is also a give and take relationship. I learned this model from the first Korean I studied with some 25 years ago, and we still use this approach today.

Brandi,

Look at it this way...

Earning the right to take the test is the test itself. All that is left is for you to showcase what you have learned.

T

Tkang_TKD

BrandiJo said:
hey i got my High Orange testing comeing up soon and im really scared i know all the stuff but i havent tested at this school befor ...do any of you have any ideas how to clam the nervers or any confident bosters?
I remember how anxious and scared I was when I tested from white belt to yellow. I was terrified, even though I knew that I knew all the techniques, and such. I was nervous right up to when they called my name to come up and test.

I think the first couple of techniques into the test, I started just chilling out, and relaxing. It suddenly became "not a big deal" any more.

If it helps you any, arrive extra early for your test, and work out some of the anxiety by working through all of your techniques, and assisting fellow testers work through their techniques. It's not really teaching, because once you've gotten to the test, it should really be a formality. It's more like mentoring, and it can really take your mind off the stress.

Good luck with your test, I'm sure you'll do fine :asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind. The instructors usually want you to succeed. They don't delight in watching you fail. They're not hoping you'll do badly etc. Show 'em what you've learned.

Also, just practicing can help a lot. The more used you are to the various movements etc, the easier it'll be to just let it flow when you need it to flow.

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
Just before the test, go somewhere quiet, breath deep, and let your mind blank out. For now...Would the BBs test you if they knew you weren't ready? Probably not, unless they just want $$$. Hopefully you're not in that situation, so get out there and SHOW OFF! IT'S YOUR TEST!:jedi1:

-Flamebearer

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
they arnt testing me for money cus im already on a cheaper rate cus im a college student i know im ready im just stressing

T

Tkang_TKD

Have a little faith. Once you get going with your test, the butterflies will probably subside. Just one little piece of advice: If you make a mistake, move along, and don't dwell on it. Many instructors expect mistakes to be made, but they'll judge you on how you react to your mistake.

I've had a good number of good tests, and bad tests that could be clearly judged on how my attitude was. The best test I've had to date was the last one I took (Last month). I made a few mistakes, but for once my attitude was that nothing was gonna get me down. :)

R

ReturningThunder

think of it as practice instead of a test and you wont get so nervous

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kodanjaclay said:
Earning the right to take the test is the test itself. All that is left is for you to showcase what you have learned.
I agree with Frank and this is how I approach giving tests. There have been lots of good, constructive ideas in this thread. The test should be a positive experience if you are prepared. If you are not prepared, don't take the test.

Take Care,

Miles

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i passed woohoo and i got to play around and do some breaks :)

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good job
Heres to you :drinkbeer :cheers: :drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer
Whew no for me to go off to class...just as soon as this room starts spinin..err stops hey I ain't drunk

OP
BrandiJo

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lol i never broke anything befor so i just did a snap kick :)

Latest Discussions