Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber - Plato

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Politicians are no sleazier than real people. It's just that scandal and outrage are useful tools in getting rid of those with whom we disagree so we make sure to crank the sound up to 11 when they are caught doing things they shouldn't be doing.

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't care about someones personal life.

Clinton got a BJ in the oval office...Weiner took pictures of himself and tweeted them to someone who wasn't his wife....

I DON'T CARE...as long as they do a good job.

I don't get fired from my job because I like to drink on the weekends..no...I get fired for not showing up on Monday.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think politics attracts a certain personality type...
And it exposes one to certain 'benefits' most of us can't even dream about.

Weiner tweeting his weiner to a not-his-wife woman is relevant since she did not seem to appreciate the act.

The BJ...well, I do agree with you on that one....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't care about someones personal life.

Clinton got a BJ in the oval office...Weiner took pictures of himself and tweeted them to someone who wasn't his wife....

I DON'T CARE...as long as they do a good job.

I don't get fired from my job because I like to drink on the weekends..no...I get fired for not showing up on Monday.

Mostly I agree except for the case of a not to long ago NYS governor that went across state lines to hire a call girl and got caught by the very systems he put in place when he was the Attorney General (now that there is some good irony). It was his personal life but the act was illegal.

And there are many others in Politics that sell thier postion to the highest bidder, get stuff for thier pals ($$$) abuse thier power and bully the little guy... don't have much use for them either.. and they are found on both sides of the room and in all political parties

As for Clinton.... I don't much care either

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Politicians are no sleazier than real people.

I agree. The infidelity rate, to pick one scandal, is something like 25%. Most of us just don't have the nightly news following and reporting on every little thing we do. Most of us wouldn't fare well under 24 hour news coverage. Pick your nose when you think no one is watching? Drink a little too much and stumble home to bed one night? Trip and fall on the sidewalk? If you're famous, each of these little common things that most of us do at one time or another will be picked up on and make us look stupid. Like Bush with his pretzel and Segway, or his father when he got sick at a state dinner.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The office corrupts weak minded and power mad. But then again, look at your sports stars who end up in the headlines because they couldn't keep their peckers in their shorts or white power out of their noses. People just suck.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mostly I agree except for the case of a not to long ago NYS governor that went across state lines to hire a call girl and got caught by the very systems he put in place when he was the Attorney General (now that there is some good irony). It was his personal life but the act was illegal.

And there are many others in Politics that sell thier postion to the highest bidder, get stuff for thier pals ($$$) abuse thier power and bully the little guy... don't have much use for them either.. and they are found on both sides of the room and in all political parties

As for Clinton.... I don't much care either

you forgot the tasty tidbit that he was vehemently anti professional girls....in his public persona...

You do as I say and I do as I please...

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is why we need term limits on the Congress.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Part of the problem with politicians is that some of them are told how amazing they are, how important they are, and how special they are, which for some goes right to their heads.

Then I’ve dealt with politicians who have been involved for years and are the kindest, nicest people you would ever meet, and would do anything for you.

I think it begins with your base personality, if you have the potential to be an *******, then you will likely end up an ******* with all the pressure coming in on you. If your basic personality is kind hearted, then I think you will maintain that and resist the pressure coming in at you.

Politicians are just normal people, good, bad and indifferent.

I’ll take an ******* that does a great job over a super clean, nice person who can’t manage a corner variety store let alone a country.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe that because political office holds power, it will attract the ruthless. I'm not saying all politicians are ruthless, I've met plenty who are honorable in even my short time as a legislative intern. But the position and the dynamics of political office inherently favor cut-throat methods and "give-and-take" trade-offs. In such an environment, principles and fair play are admirable handicaps.

It's also a result of the contradictory demands of the politican's constituency. We want them to be honest and principled, but then we also want results for our particular districts.

None of this is meant to excuse crappy behavior, but only to point out that the very nature of political office practically demands that politicians be two-faced. My hat's off to any that are able to walk the balancing act.

Latest Discussions