Saturday on MTV's "Made"

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
This Saturday, MTV will be playing the 100th episode of "Made," which is a show that picks a kid and gives them about a month of training to transform into their dream. It covers dorky kids becoming cheerleaders, tomboys into beauty queens, and so on.
This Saturday a couch potato teen boy wants to be a martial arts expert, so the show will chronicle 3 weeks of him training to prepare for a tournament (or something like that).
My wife likes the show and I have seen a few entertaining episodes, so it may be worth watching.

Does anyone remember when Music Television (MTV) played music?
;-)

AoG

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It hasn't been for years. So someone with no experience is going to be made a expert and participate in a tournament in 3 weeks of training ? Yikes, that should be interesting. MTV is no longer music at all, it is marketing through and through, you have to go to MTV2 for even some videos etc.......

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked Liquid Television, which showcased Aeon Flux, The Head and other (at the time) edgy cartoons.

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Watching it now...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone's heard of the dojo that this is going on at...

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched it and didn't hate it. It was pretty good.
The trainer had about a month to drill him and test him for gold belt. That may seem short, but he was training on 6 and half hour days when he trained (I don't know how many days per week he trained).
The 18 year old had very low self esteem, but was obviously a nice guy. He had gotten very overwieght and stayed in his parent's basement. He was a high school senior and admitted many times that he had no goals in life and was sick of it.
The taekwondo teacher put him with a gym trainer, made him stick to good foods, did the martial arts training, and made him order his life (clean his room, clean his appearance, get up early, etc).
The goal was to fight in a tourney in gold belt division, so it wasn't like they were trying to make him a master. They were just trying to get him to show more disipline and believe in himself.
The only corny thing was the 3 ninjas who attacked him. If you just relaxed and took that for a joke, the show was pretty good.
BTW, the part where the 3 ninjas were in the audience cheering at the tournament made me laugh. I think sometimes we take ourselves too seriously and that reminded me of that.

AoG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over all, I've got to say that the Made series is pretty good and realistic in what they do. The goals tend to be challenging -- but not undoable. The provide good quality coaching/instruction in whatever the effort is. And they support the kids as they do it -- but don't tend to buy into excuses and complaints. I think it's one of the better examples of reality TV... and they're not simply competing for some silly prize. In fact, it seems to have made a real difference in some of the kids's lives.

Now I'm just gonna have to watch for this one to be repeated, 'cause I missed it.