University of Bridgeport, CT update?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, it has been at least 2.5 years since the university of Bridgeport in CT started its bachelors degree program in martial arts. Does anyone have any info on how the program is doing? How many people have finished it (if any transfered their electives over to get in it), what is enrollment in it, are people happy with it?
Does anyone know anything?

AoG

bryan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Bryan Gross and I am the Assistant Dean of Admissions at the University of Bridgeport. I am so excited that you are talking about UB's Martial Arts Studies Program! The Program is doing extremley well. This Fall, we are expecting our largest incoming class of Martial Arts Students in the program's history. We have students from California, Oregon, Wisconsin and all through the East Coast who are coming to UB. We recently attended the Ocean State Grand National Martial Arts Tounament in Warwick, RI to promote the program and the resposne was overwhelming. People are really excited about the program. Fox news was recently on campsu and ran a story on it, which is also on YouTube. I have a student testimonial on YouTube who discusses his experience as a Martial Arts student at UB. His name is Chris O'Neil. Check it out at www.youtube.com/uofbridgeport
If I can help any of you out there learn more about the Martial Arts Studies Program at UB please email me directly at [email protected]
The program link is: http://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/3868.asp
Have a great day!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Bryan Gross and I am the Assistant Dean of Admissions at the University of Bridgeport. I am so excited that you are talking about UB's Martial Arts Studies Program! The Program is doing extremley well. This Fall, we are expecting our largest incoming class of Martial Arts Students in the program's history. We have students from California, Oregon, Wisconsin and all through the East Coast who are coming to UB. We recently attended the Ocean State Grand National Martial Arts Tounament in Warwick, RI to promote the program and the resposne was overwhelming. People are really excited about the program. Fox news was recently on campsu and ran a story on it, which is also on YouTube. I have a student testimonial on YouTube who discusses his experience as a Martial Arts student at UB. His name is Chris O'Neil. Check it out at www.youtube.com/uofbridgeport

If I can help any of you out there learn more about the Martial Arts Studies Program at UB please email me directly at [email protected]

Have a great day!

If I were younger I might go I like the history bits and language, I am sorry but what languages do you have available.

But it appears the MA part of it is Taekwondo / Taiji Practicum.

If I may ask what style of Taiji or what forms are you teaching?

And what are the career prospects for a graduate?

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have a great day!

Thanks for the update!
That is really cool that you hopped on the board to share that.
What kind of goals in terms of future jobs are your enrollies looking towards by getting a BA in martial arts at UB?

AoG

X7898529874123

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Chris O'Neill, and I am currently attending the University of Bridgeport in order to obtain an undergraduate degree in the Martial Arts Studies program. I cannot begin to explain the joy this school, and program in general, has brought me. I love it here! How great is it to be doing something you love? Initially, I thought college wasn't for me, however, after hearing about the Martial Arts program at UB, I decided to give it a shot. Turns out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

UB has changed my life. The Martial Arts program is a dream come true. So far, I have studied Tai Chi, Karate, Taekwondo, and a little Hapkido. I have studied Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism, as well as the History of the Martial Arts (very difficult class...lol). I am currently studying abroad in Mitaka, Japan for my language requirement.

This place is amazing! I love it. And the best part is that it is only going to get better! I can't wait to see what the future has in store for UB!

If you guys have any questions, please ask me! I would be happy to help out any way I can : )

~Chris O'Neill

P.S. UB has a few videos up on youtube, if you want to check them out...This one is mine...lol...

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=KgWWFYp_1Mc

I also made a few videos on my own...it's a bit old, but here is one of them:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQblafXhRM

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! The question about programs like this comes up often so it's good for us to ehar from someone in one.

X7898529874123

White Belt
Reaction score
If I were younger I might go I like the history bits and language, I am sorry but what languages do you have available.

But it appears the MA part of it is Taekwondo / Taiji Practicum.

If I may ask what style of Taiji or what forms are you teaching?

And what are the career prospects for a graduate?

Well, let's see...we are required to take at least 2 years of an Asian language. UB offers Japanese, Chinese, and Korean class. I personally elected to study Japanese, but any of them are okay : ) Actually, I am in Japan now earning some credit for my language requirements. Study Abroad = cool~

I have never actually taken any Taiji before coming to UB, so it was all new to me, but it was the Yang style Taiji. Like I said, i hav just begun my journey into the world of Taiji, so I can't go into so much detail now...lol...but I hope to learn a lot more! It's great stuff, huh? Love it!

As far as Career opportunities, they are next to limitless! There are guys here that want to go into the criminal justice field, some are taking industrial design courses to design dojos' and training equipment, and some want to teach at there own school. Many majors take business classes to help. I personally want to get into the stunt man business. I love acting, so my dreams is to make movies : ) I also really like advertising so I choose to double major in Mass Communication, which has already helped me expand my career opportunities.

The possibilities are endless! I love it! There is really nothing better than doing what you love. The University of Bridgeport teaches us how to do what we love, and make a living doing it. It's fantastic...

~Chris O'Neill

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, let's see...we are required to take at least 2 years of an Asian language. UB offers Japanese, Chinese, and Korean class. I personally elected to study Japanese, but any of them are okay : ) Actually, I am in Japan now earning some credit for my language requirements. Study Abroad = cool~

I have never actually taken any Taiji before coming to UB, so it was all new to me, but it was the Yang style Taiji. Like I said, i hav just begun my journey into the world of Taiji, so I can't go into so much detail now...lol...but I hope to learn a lot more! It's great stuff, huh? Love it!

As far as Career opportunities, they are next to limitless! There are guys here that want to go into the criminal justice field, some are taking industrial design courses to design dojos' and training equipment, and some want to teach at there own school. Many majors take business classes to help. I personally want to get into the stunt man business. I love acting, so my dreams is to make movies : ) I also really like advertising so I choose to double major in Mass Communication, which has already helped me expand my career opportunities.

The possibilities are endless! I love it! There is really nothing better than doing what you love. The University of Bridgeport teaches us how to do what we love, and make a living doing it. It's fantastic...

~Chris O'Neill

Thanks

Sounds like a good program

I wish you luck in your career goals and I hope to see you in a movie someday.

Enjoy Japan I have only been there to change planes to go to China, I hope to spend more time there someday.

X7898529874123

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks

Sounds like a good program

I wish you luck in your career goals and I hope to see you in a movie someday.

Enjoy Japan I have only been there to change planes to go to China, I hope to spend more time there someday.

Thanks! I will do my best : )

Japan is soooooo nice! I love it. I want to visit China someday too....

Please come to Japan!

Latest Discussions