San Shou in Colorado

A

Antares33

I was just curious if anyone on this board knew of anyone practicing or teaching San Shou in Colorado, particularly in northern Colorado. I've looked on my own, but haven't been able to turn anything up.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, you can e-mail me
at

[email protected]

or reply below. I would also be interested if anyone happens to know of any other quality schools in northern Coloraro, specifically anything I wouldn't find in the yellow pages.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
that's a tough one...i don't know myself but my recommendation would be for you to also check out kung fu schools because they often supplement their kung fu cirriculum with some san shou training.

still...it's not as easy to find as boxing or even muay thai

OP
A

Antares33

San Shou certainly isn't being tought on every street corner. I just thought I'd ask.

If anyone knows of any Muay Thai, Boxing, or other quality schools in the area I'd be happy to know about them as well.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah...san shou is definitely not something you see being taught a lot in the states, which is a shame because it really has a lot to offer....as much or perhaps more than MT....if it is taught well by a good trainer.

like i said you'll probably run into it being taught as something on the side in a school if at all. i've never seen any gyms or schools in my area that were strictly san shou.

OP
A

Angus

I've looked for the same thing here. San Shou is really kind of a California and east coast thing, at least as I've seen. Hard to find in many other places. It's a same, because I'd much rather do San Shou than MT because it much better suits me given a Taekwondo/American Karate (heavy emphasis on throwing) background! Sigh, I wish I could find it.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think it just seems like it's a califonia thing because that's where Cung Le is located. he's done so much for the art...HE is san shou pretty much to me. others may differ...but i really don't know any other popular san shou fighters other than him and his team.

there is actually a school around me in Delaware that trains in San Shou...pretty good from what i've seen as well. unfortunately, teaching really ties me up at my school to do any cross-training...plus money is always a factor. i will get there one day though...i owe it to myself.

OP
A

Angus

Cung Le is just a damn good fighter. His kicking and boxing are fantastic, let alone his throws and takedowns. He's my favorite figther for sure, be it in San Shou or Muay Thai or Kickboxing, etc etc. I love him. Not how I got into San Shou, but he's still amazing.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cung's the man alright. In case you weren't aware, he'll be fighting at the next K-1...May 2nd i believe. should be real interesting to see if his skills are still what they were when he was competing more heavily.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos
...san shou ...... really has a lot to offer....as much or perhaps more than MT.....

In what way?

San shou is the Chinese version of MMA. It is a modern invention under the communist regime. It copied Bruce Lee's JKD by the truckload, and then combined with Mongolian wrestling or Suai Xiao (sp)

When San Shou fighters fought MT fighters under MT rules, they got cleaned. They were out fought and out classed. To quote one San SHou fighter, after his defeat," I have never been so severely beaten ever."

San Shou lacks in the elbow and knee department.

OTOH, may be it is just that those particular San Shou teams simply suck.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know there's a BJJ school in Boulder that does MT two days a week. Probalby not too helpful if you're way out there tho...

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
In what way?

San shou is the Chinese version of MMA. It is a modern invention under the communist regime. It copied Bruce Lee's JKD by the truckload, and then combined with Mongolian wrestling or Suai Xiao (sp)

When San Shou fighters fought MT fighters under MT rules, they got cleaned. They were out fought and out classed. To quote one San SHou fighter, after his defeat," I have never been so severely beaten ever."

San Shou lacks in the elbow and knee department.

OTOH, may be it is just that those particular San Shou teams simply suck.

i suppose it would depend on what particular team you were watching. i've seen different variations of san shou myself. some of it is strikingly similar to your average karate point tournament....usually takes place in a gymnaisium type setting with mats on the ground with multiple events going on at the same time. not that impressive compared to any match in a ring, but i still wouldn't write it off as some tappy tournament fight.

then i've seen (more often) san shou bouts that take place in the ring, which are more reminiscent of muay thai.

i'll agree...san shou definitely does lack in the elbow department...since they don't throw them in competition...:D

knees have been added to the game however, and while i doubt many shan shou fighters would have the power of muay thai fighters at this point...i see no reason that they could not train themselves to become just as proficient in them.

then there is the stand-up grappling...which muay thai has, but there are also the takedowns and slams incorporated into it. of course you can learn this sort of thing somewhere else, you can learn a lot of things in multiple places.

it basically comes down to the trainers, the coaches, and ultimately the fighters and how much they are willing to put into it. as for it being the chinese version of MMA...i guess it's more like the chinese version of kickboxing to me...sure they have the takedowns but it doesn't go much further than that. modern invention...? i suppose. the communist regime? i guess they would be commies over there but i don't know much about that.

the point is that if someone was to go and train in a good san shou gym then i think it would benefit them. that's my opinion, you seem to disagree. fine with me.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos
it really has a lot to offer....as much or perhaps more than MT....

JN...

i think the "perhaps more than" statement was what you were responding to now that i re-read the post. i'll admit i may have gone a bit overboard with the statement...but i did say "perhaps" :D

that said i still would say it has a lot to offer...

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos ......it basically comes down to the trainers, the coaches, and ultimately the fighters and how much they are willing to put into it. as for it being the chinese version of MMA...i guess it's more like the chinese version of kickboxing to me...sure they have the takedowns but it doesn't go much further than that. modern invention...? i suppose. the communist regime? i guess they would be commies over there but i don't know much about that.

the point is that if someone was to go and train in a good san shou gym then i think it would benefit them. that's my opinion, you seem to disagree. fine with me. [/B]

You are right. When you slice to the core, it eventually comes down to how they condition themselves.

Proof: When elbows and knees were taken out and the number of rounds were limited to 3 instead of MT's 5, there were some SanShou victories over MT. When the rounds go to 5, most of the SanShou fighters ran out of steam. And they have no defense against the barrage of knees and elbows at close range. And they (like most other fighters) simply cannot defend against the punishing MT roundhouse kicks.

As for the Chinese being communists, they are communists in name only, these days. And in lawless brutality against their own citizens too.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
forgot about the # of rounds there too...good call. gassing out during a fight will always be a huge deal. you gas...real bad news.

but muay thai fighters...the good ones...probably have the best cardio conditioning of any sport.