Im Fighting In San Shou

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ill be fighting in a San Shou tournament Oct 1st at Akron university in Ohio. My full name is Jay DeLamar. If anyone from martial talk is going to be there please let me know, I would love to meet you.
Also, any advice would be very helpful, this is my first fight. Like what type of diet, any drills, ect.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks man. I wish I could get it on video and put it in the members in action forum so you could see me fight and give me pointers.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool, and good luck to you. I'd love to come see a San Shou fight live. I live just a little over an hour away from Akron but with my limited funds I doubt that I can make it. Report back with your thoughts on the fight(s). :) :asian:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it going to be taped? I'd be interested in seeing it. Would be great if it could be posted. If not going to be taped, could you get someone to do it for you?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to see it as well, if you get it taped, let us know so we can see it!
As far as drills, do lots of throws and defense against throws. We do one where you clinch with another person (one arm behind the head, other on their other arm) then once you say go you each try to just take the other person down. It helps with the clinch and reversing throws and such. Do plenty of conditioning, although its probably to soon to start doing it now.

Good luck!
Keep us posted
7sm

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would hate to fight that lee dude, I have seen him fight. This will be alot of fun, its only amature so Im not going to be up against ant GREAT fighters.

S

Spook

I know of a San Shou event being held in Akron on Oct. 8th. Is this the same event and you got the date wrong, or is there another San Shou tournament in Akron? Is there a web link?

Thanks

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, it is the 8th, I put the wrong date down. I will be there, so if there is anyone from martial talk please introduce yourself.

C

CrankyDragon

1) Get plenty of rest
2) Practice, but not to burn out
3) Go in with a "win" attitude
4) Take the pain, pain is good
5) Dont forget honor
6) Have fun!!

Pls post video when your back! Good luck!
Andrew

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
So, how is the training going? When is your first fight?

7sm
Sorry I didnt see your question before. My training is going good, I am learning a whole new bag of tricks. In boxing you have the clinch, in san shou, your going to get tossed, and Im used to clinching. But my sifu holds rank in Shui Chiao, so he is teaching me all I need to know. Im not going to be 100% by the time my fight comes up, because I have only been training in cma for about a year now. My shins and arms are busted up from all the 3star drills, so Im going to have to lay off of those until after the fight so Im not sore.
I love cma, I have trained in alot of styles and cma's are the BEST imo. My instructor has formal training in Hsing-I, Pa Kua, Tai Chi, and Shaolin hard styles. His Lineage goes from 3 guys, George hailey, Don Macabe, then Gene Chicion (dont know about the spelling). He trained at Ho Cun in ohio. Its an honor to train under him. And only for 40$ a month, training of this caliber is worth 100$ a month. Once the school is remodeled I will put the address up so people can come visit.

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, saturday is the big day, my first fight. Im in the beginner class because I dont have any fights under my belt, but Im still nervous. I think I have a cracked rib from training, Im going to the hospitol tonight to find out for sure. It has been piercing pain from a variety of positions and movements for about 2 weeks with no healing progress. I hope its not cracked, Ill most likely fight anyway because I think they wear chest protectors in amature san shou.
Anyone have any advice on how to heal up cracked or bruised ribs quicker? I have 4 days.

Jelik

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

Best of luck with your first fight! I had my first fight (also in San Shou) about a month ago.. was very interesting!

My personal tips:
- Most fights end up looking like kick boxing, so training against these styles (if you don't already) I feel would be a bonus
- Make sure you training with the head gear on... I didn't and as it was my first fight, first time ever wearing head gear.. I didn't know that you loose your peripheral vision with the gear on! Ow...
- It is really annoying warming up for a fight, then cooling down (mainly due to bad organising..) - try not to warm up until you "know" when you're on
- Remember, no matter how nice someone may be before entering the ring, all bets are off, full contact once you start fighting!
- The rules state if you step out of the area twice during one round, you're toast. Because of this, there is a lot of pushing / push kicks / throws / take downs / leg grabbing etc. Being aware of it is half the battle, doing something about it is the other!

That's all my thoughts right now - feel free to get in contact if you wanted any other thoughts... Keeping in mind that the rules may be slightly different as I'm in NZ.

Cheers and good luck.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Well, saturday is the big day, my first fight..
Again, good luck. I think that's cool your fighting in it. I wish I could get to Akron to watch the show. I heard KenpoJoe is going to be there as well. I'd like to meet both of you. Let us know how it goes and your ideas and such on the fights.
:asian:

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hire a healthy fighter
bones do take a long time regardless what you do
all you have to do is probably sit there and wait..
they might even make u stop ur practice!
i hope not though, i hope it's something simpler than a cracked rib
good luck on ur fight

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, its over with and Im glad, the anticipation was killing me. Things didnt go very well. I have not been training for a while because I was trying to let my rib heal up, so Im warming up before the fight, and I feel it pinching, after the warm up Im already out of breath from not being able to breath properly. First round I just hang in there throwing a few punches, landed one good one and thats it, he hit me a few good ones. Half way through the 2nd round I start feeling dizzy from lack of air, and I told the ref I was done. This morning I have a black eye, but besides that and my rib Im ok.
On the positive side, I got my first fight out of the way, I know what the ring feels like on my feet, I know what its like to have a crowd watching, and much more. I will be competing again in 6 moths in cleveland. Alot of people didnt want me in the ring because I wasnt able to properly train but I am so glad I did anyway because it was a great experience, and its not like I have any permanent damage or anything. I wish I could post the vid, but my cam dont have any way of hooking into a pc. Basicly I look sluggish and out of breath from the start, and have to call it quits in the middle of the second round, thats about it.