Safest to ccw, 1911 or poly?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Which do you think is safer and why?

I think if you ccw you should have a round in the chamber. I'm pretty ignorant on 1911's,but interested.

Thanks!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I think 1911's are great guns, I do NOT think they are great *first* guns and I do not think, given more modern options, that they are great *carry* guns.

Google "Body alarm reaction" and you will understand why I'm of the school of thought that single-action-only triggers are not street safe when your life's in danger, your pulse is going thrice normal, your hands are shaking, you can't feel your fingers to know if they're on or off the trigger and you've a death grip on your gun anyway.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best gun for CCW is one that you are comfortable with, accurate, reliable, and will actually carry. If, for you, that means 1911, then the best is a 1911. If, instead, it means a Glock, Kel-Tec, or a J-Frame, then that is the best.

All this rigmarole over "best this" and "best that" is baloney. A gun that goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger and will hit what you're aiming at is what you want.

Yes, we all have our personal preferences and that exactly what they are: PERSONAL. Make your gun your personal weapon. I'll stop before I ramble any more.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any well-made weapon, regardless of whether it's a Glock, Springfield 1911, etc., is going to be safe to carry. Today's quality handguns incorporate multiple safety features, that basically prevent the gun from going off unless someone sticks his finger in the trigger guard, and pulls the trigger.

The Miami PD did some testing with a Glock 17, with a loaded chamber. They chucked the pistol against a steel-reinforced concrete wall multiple times, at 40+ MPH, and other than some scrapes, dings, and the broken plastic sights, the gun was perfectly fine, and never discharged.

I've seen some drop tests for Springfield 1911 pistols, and even in cocked and locked mode, they never discharged.

If you want to carry your 1911 with a round in the chamber, it's perfectly safe to do so, as long as you have a well-made 1911. How you want to carry it is up to your personal preferences. Do you find having to manually cock the hammer (safety off while holstered) easier, or do you prefer to carry it cocked and locked? Either way, with good awareness and training, it's quite safe to do so, as long as you have a decent holster.

I prefer Glocks, of course, but I would feel perfectly fine carrying a 1911.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some pretty good responses so far.

I have CCH several different guns and I always go back to my Glock 17. I have carried Kimber, several Glocks, one Kahr, 2 smiths, and a Taurus.

Andy said it best, with todays options I would not go with a 1911. I have been around enough of them to want a gun that goes boom every time I pull the trigger. And I have not been able to make that happen with a 1911.

Not to mention that for the average price of a 1911, I get almost 2 Glocks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glocks are great defensive guns. If you can make one fire without something pressing the trigger (and without substantial modification) -- I'll eat the gun. I'm that confident you won't succeed. And they're incredibly tolerant of abuse while still shooting. (Google "Glock Torture Test" and you'll see what I mean.)

But they do require the discipline to keep your finger off the trigger except when you intend it to shoot.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
Carry what you are accustomed to and have trained with. I personally would not and do not carry anything except a d.a.o. pistol.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I think if you ccw you should have a round in the chamber. I'm pretty ignorant on 1911's,but interested.

Thanks!

The real safety is inbetween your ears. If you are not safe there in your gun handling, it does not matter what mechanical safety your gun has.

Brian, I've shot 1911s, P35s, Smith 39s, revolvers, and Glocks in very fast drawing and moveing matches in IPSC and IDPA for well over 20 years. Most of the time from concealment. Never ever had a problem with any of them.

All are quite safe if handled safely.

And as for chamber loaded, it not only is safe, but highly desireable in concealed carry (CCW.) You can't guarantee you will have both hands to rack the slide nor can you guarantee you will rack the slide all the way back either in a tense moment! Therefore if you carry a simi-auto, chamber loaded is the way to go. And if you fear chamber loaded..... get a revolver.

Deaf

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had both 1911 and xd and I feel much safer around my xd. Of course all the safety features in the world does not negate the safety between your ears and your finger.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks!
The 1911 is an excellent platform......but it's not for everyone.

As to the safety issues, there really aren't any. Some folks get hot and bothered about 'Cocked-and-Locked', but it's much ado about nothing. The 1911 in the C&L position has two external safeties in place.

The real issue with the 1911 is the training issue. If one carries a 1911 one must train with a 1911........one must train the response of throwing the safety off when drawing or problems can ensue.

Again, 1911 or not 1911 is personal preference.....but if a 1911 is chosen one must learn it's quirks and adjust training accordingly.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had no safety issues with my 1911. I loved the trigger pull and the rigidity of an all metal platform. Mine had no MIM and was built from all wilson combat parts. It felt great in the hand and the thumb safety afforded me a nice high and tight grip. Disassembly was more of an issue especially with the 2 pc full length guide rod as I had to have and allen wrench handy to loosen it. I liked the fact that palm safety would not work if its depress halfarsed. What I did not like was its tighter tolernaces and the lack of a loaded chamber indicator. If the gun was dry the slide would stick... when lubed it ran smooth as butter.

I sold it in favor of my XD but thats not to say that I wouldnt purchase on again and use it for carry. I have my eye on the Dan Wesson line

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had no safety issues with my 1911. I loved the trigger pull and the rigidity of an all metal platform. Mine had no MIM and was built from all wilson combat parts. It felt great in the hand and the thumb safety afforded me a nice high and tight grip. Disassembly was more of an issue especially with the 2 pc full length guide rod as I had to have and allen wrench handy to loosen it. I liked the fact that palm safety would not work if its depress halfarsed. What I did not like was its tighter tolernaces and the lack of a loaded chamber indicator. If the gun was dry the slide would stick... when lubed it ran smooth as butter.

I sold it in favor of my XD but thats not to say that I wouldnt purchase on again and use it for carry. I have my eye on the Dan Wesson line

Some good points.......the 1911 is best described as an aficionado's gun......if you love the 1911 you can make it work better than any gun.......but it's a labor of love as more is involved in it.

If what one wants is a no-frills instrument of self-defense that can be relatively forgotten about until needed.......get a GLOCK or an XD.

UpeoWaMacho

White Belt
Reaction score
As others have said--it's all about practice and what you're comfortable with. I've carried my Dan Wesson CBOB, a Glock 27, Glock 30, S&W M&P40, S&W M&P40c, S&W M&P Pro (for IDPA), and my little Kel-Tec P-3AT. They all worked for me. Luckily, I've never had to go through the ultimate test, but I've practiced drawing and firing with all. Go with what works for you.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I recently took my Ohio CCW class with my Glock 27. I've shot it quite a bit and am comfortable with it. Originally I wanted to carry a gun with a manual safety of some sort, but I have become comfortable with the 27.

Anyway, I replied to your post because I also want a Dan Wesson. Specifically a CBOB. In 10mm if I could afford to shoot it, but probably in 45.

I don't know if it would unseat my Glock 27 for carry, certainly not without substantial practice anyway, but I really love that gun.

UpeoWaMacho

White Belt
Reaction score
My CBOB is in .45, and it is one sweet shooter. I have three other 10mms, but alas, none in the 1911 platform. For carry, it feels thinner than the G27, but ultimately, I go with platforms that can hold more rounds (well, other than when only the Kel-Tec will work....). I find myself carrying the full-size S&W M&P40 most often, with the Kel-Tec as a BUG.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My CBOB is in .45, and it is one sweet shooter. I have three other 10mms, but alas, none in the 1911 platform. For carry, it feels thinner than the G27, but ultimately, I go with platforms that can hold more rounds (well, other than when only the Kel-Tec will work....). I find myself carrying the full-size S&W M&P40 most often, with the Kel-Tec as a BUG.

I've heard that again and again about the CBOBs, which makes me want one even more.

I have a Glock 20. That is just one of the coolest handguns made, IMHO. 15+1 rounds of 10mm is very impressive indeed. If only I could afford 10mm ammo...

I almost got an M&P when I got my Glock 27. I'm very happy with the 27, but I'm sure I'd have liked the M&P too.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that again and again about the CBOBs, which makes me want one even more.

I have a Glock 20. That is just one of the coolest handguns made, IMHO. 15+1 rounds of 10mm is very impressive indeed. If only I could afford 10mm ammo...

I almost got an M&P when I got my Glock 27. I'm very happy with the 27, but I'm sure I'd have liked the M&P too.

I've had a G27 for about a year now and I just picked up a M&P9c last week. I plan on shooting them side-by-side this weekend, so I'm curious to see how the M&P stacks up. Granted, it's a different caliber but the M&P40c is the same frame so I'd expect it to shoot more or less the same.

Honestly, I really want to like Glocks. I own a G20 and a G27. I'm just a terrible shot with them. I'm still trying to work out the kinks but as it is now, I'm really inconsistent with them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, I really want to like Glocks. I own a G20 and a G27. I'm just a terrible shot with them. I'm still trying to work out the kinks but as it is now, I'm really inconsistent with them.

Personally I found the key to shooting well with a Glock is getting a really good grip. The long trigger pull is enough for me to throw my aim off if I don't have good mechanics.

Next time you're at the range, try focusing on a grip that will keep the gun steady as you squeeze the trigger. Once you have a good sense of how that grip feels, you can practice dry-firing at home or in your yard with a snapcap or some sort of suitable dummy round loaded in the chamber.

Personally I find that marksmanship isn't really any different than other martial art. Good body mechanics matter. Practice matters. Building good habits matter. And its addicting as heck :D :D

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's the thing. My grip doesn't feel that different from other guns that I do shoot well. I think in my particular case, I'm giving it too much trigger finger. From what I've heard from other people, you should just be using the pad of the tip of your finger on a Glock. I tend to use a little more finger on my other guns.

We'll see though. I'm taking my G27 out again this weekend with a new perspective on what I might be doing wrong, so hopefully I can figure things out.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
As it's been said here several times. The safety of a weapon is up to the individual carrying or using it. Get to know your weapon. I personally like the old ways, so I perfer my Ruger 357, easy use and I am very comfortable with it.

Latest Discussions