Question for you 1911 shooters.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, what do you think of the growing trend of putting an external extractor on 1911's?

Personally, I like it. They seem to be more reliable and easy to replace. I have 2 with them and won't buy a new one if it doesn't have one. I've noticed a lot of the arguments against them are for aesthetic reasons. Heck, it's a tool, not a freaking Monet.

Jeff

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Jeff,

Not sure if you check out thsi forum at all, but they have a thread going on the subject.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141632

There is an old saying in golf... "It ain't pretty, but it's got #!#s!"

That makes me glad mine isn't a kimber. I have a Kimber CDP (5") but it is pre external extractor. Good pistol. Probably the best "non-custom" 1911 I have.

Jeff

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an external extractor on my Armscor 1911. Granted its not a Kimber or high dollar 1911, but I've NEVER had ANY problems with it. Probably have well over 5,000 rounds through my gun since i bought it less than a year ago. My gun isn't really a "pretty" 1911, its prety much a beater gun that I use for IDPA, 3-gun.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29339&highlight=armscor

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really have a "set" opinion. I've heard some people say that they really like the external extractors, others say they don't. Mine doesn't have one and I've never had a problem with it. If they work for you, great, go for it. OTOH, the 1911 made it for almost 100 years without them.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of my 1911's with internal extractors have performed flawlessly. Every few thousand rounds, I'll have my gunsmith take a look at them and tune the extractors as a little preventive maintenance. I have had a couple of dogs though. One is a mid 70's era Combat Comander. Used to have a lot of problems with that one. The other was a Para Ordnance P14. Ended up just selling that one.

I'd say the biggest reason I like the external ones better is, it's easier and less expensive to replace an external extractor than to tune an internal one.

Jeff

Latest Discussions