Sad Day in TKD

B

Black Belt FC

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=+1]Taekwondo closing is kick in head for College Point [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
By Alexander Dworkowitz 06/12/2003
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
taekwondocloses_H397.jpg
spacer.gif
[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]There is no sign of Sun & Moon’s Taekwondo on College Point Boulevard now that Joe’s Used & New Household Goods has replaced it. [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The closing of a College Point taekwondo school has upset many of its customers, who said its owners have disappeared without giving them their money back. Sun & Moon’s Taekwondo, which was located at 15-04 College Point Blvd., shut down in April. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The closing of a College Point taekwondo school has upset many of its customers, who said its owners have disappeared without giving them their money back.

Sun & Moon’s Taekwondo, which was located at 15-04 College Point Blvd., shut down in April.

The school’s master, Hye Ok Jung, told her students she needed surgery for her leg, and the school would reopen in June, customers said.

The owner of the school, Moon Sun Hwang, had already left for Korea to mourn the death of a relative, customers said.

But instead of reopening, those who patronized the school discovered a “For Rent” sign on the business in May.
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif][size=-2]Advertisement
[/font]
UPO_9055a_250x250_01.gif
“We haven’t heard anything since,” said Helen Rambazis, whose 5-year-old daughter, Kimberly, attended the school.

The store has since been replaced by Joe’s Used & New Household Goods, which sells electronics, furniture and other items and is expected to open this week.

Joe Sonen, the owner of the discount store, said parents have periodically come by his store in the last month, shocked to find out the taekwondo school was no longer there.

“We had two ladies crying,” Sonen said.

Rambazis said her daughter had only a month left in a six-month contract, putting her out about $100.

“(My daughter) loved it,” Rambazis said. “She was very upset. She is asking when she’s going to another place.”

Rambazis said she was concerned, not so much for herself, but for other customers who had signed onto much larger contracts.

“Some people paid in advance and now they are going to be out a lot of money,” she said.

One of those customers is Warren King, who gave the school $1,400 for an 18-month contract for his 5-year-old son, Terrence.

Terrence had only attended the school for six months, King said.

“We did pay in full, and we had a lot of time left, and they’re gone,” he said.

But King said he was willing to give Sun & Moon’s the benefit of the doubt.

“I got the impression that they weren’t being dishonest, that they were trying to make something work.” he said. “They probably don’t have the money to repay people. I am sure if they had the money, they would have stayed.”

Both Rambazis and King said they had no problems with the school before it shut down.

It was unclear how many customers were owed money.

Neither Hwang nor Jung could be reached for comment.

The business, evidently, had struggled financially for a while, according to Fred Mazzarello, president of the College Point Board of Trade. He said Hwang twice bounced checks when he tried to donate to the board’s holiday lighting.

The school once was a member of the board of trade, but later left the organization.

“He never paid his dues,” Mazzarello said.

The wife of the owner of the property, who did not want her name to be used, said Sun & Moon’s had not paid rent since December.

“He didn’t give us the keys. We had to get a court order for him to leave,” she said. “We went to a lawyer. The lawyer said there’s nothing you can do.”

Reach reporter Alexander Dworkowitz by e-mail at [email protected] or call 718-229-0300 Ext. 141.
Moon Sun Hwang

Whereabouts: UNKNOWNHye Ok Jung

Whereabouts: UNKNOWNBlack Belt certificates for students who have passed their tests

Whereabouts: UNKNOWNRefunds for students that prepaid their lessons

Whereabouts: UNKNOWNA black mark on the name and study of Taekwondo

Whereabouts:
Sun & Moons Taekwondo,
College Point
[/font]

©Times Ledger 2004
[/size][/font]

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had a Kenpo fanchise do this in Spokane. They are a father and son team that opens a school closes it and then the son opens another school across town independent of the father. Unfortunantly they do this all over the country. The son called me at the school where I worked bragging about how he was going to open up schools all over town. They seem to be gone for good now. Watch for "Action Kenpo" comming to a town near you.
Sean

OP
K

kwanjang

In many States, it is illegal to sell long term contracts, and (for obvious reasons) a bond needs to be established in some States in order to open a health club or similar facility (including martial art schools). Might be worth it to check up with the better business bureau or a Gov't agency that deals with such things. If there was a bond, it might help folks obtain a refund for some of the lost money.

OP
D

dosandojang

Kwang Jang Nim Timmerman is right....This is so sad....

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

MichiganTKD said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of your typical Tae Kwon Do school.
Well, that's not quite accurate. It only happens to with most schools that are privately owned. ATA, WTF, ITF, USTU, etc. have to have credentials. Of course, I imagine you could con people, but that's why I won't join a school that's not under an organization or that hasn't been there for years and I don't hear good results from. Not "good results" from a Mcdojo's, bu toyu get the pic. Sadly, I've heard about this being in TKD, Kenpo, TSD, And a few other arts. Yes, it's more apparent in TKD, but it's not typical of TKD. I've seen 100s of TKD school around and they have been there for years. (In Florida, that is, not just Port Orange.)

Don't single out TKD, MichiganTKD. I know that's one of the big reasons people say TKD is inefficient is because it's a get-rich-quick-scheme In some cases, but it's not typical, only in some areas. I only had it happen in my town once or twice. Same guy both times(first TKD school I ever went to). He was in one place for about 1-3 yrs(maybe longer), closed for a little while, reopened for about 1-4 yrs. Took off with alot of people's money and hasn't been seen since. Of course the last place he moved is now the dojang where I go. It was reopened in 1996-1997 or earlier. One o' the best now.

The other thing with him was he had this one lady teach us(I was 5 the first time and 7 or 8 the next time). She didn't make it too much fun, though. She even was REALLY rough on us sparring. She acted like all she wanted to do was show off that she was the best.

:asian:

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your right Shaolinwolf, A few schools make bad publicity, For the rest of the TKD community, I was in FL. not to long ago and started looking at some of the TKD schools, I also notice there were a lot new schools poping up that werent TKD, I asked at a couple of the school what was going on and I was told that TKD got to be so big in FL. that there werent enough instructors to go around and the classes were overcrowding so people were turning to other arts.

Whats your opinion on this?

P.S. I was in the spring hill area on the gulf side.

Kik

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
We had a Kenpo fanchise do this in Spokane. They are a father and son team that opens a school closes it and then the son opens another school across town independent of the father. Unfortunantly they do this all over the country. The son called me at the school where I worked bragging about how he was going to open up schools all over town. They seem to be gone for good now. Watch for "Action Kenpo" comming to a town near you.
Sean
Hollywood 1340 has informed me that I am sadly misinformed. Aaction Kenpo does still exist in the Spokane area and I mearly repeated what I had heard. I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding and for any damage I may have caused. :asian:
Sean (guess I was still mad about the phone call)

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sean, not everyone should be judged by what you hear. I still teach at a local high school. Under Aaction Kenpo