S.U.M.O. (not Sumo).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Registration required:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/19/nyregion/19sumo.html

They were making the rounds to promote something called the "World S.U.M.O. Challenge - Battle of the Giants" at Madison Square Garden on Saturday. To hear them tell it, S.U.M.O. is different from sumo. S.U.M.O. - with periods - is, it turns out, pronounced "s period u period m period oh" by Noah Goldman, the president and chief of Big Boy Productions, a New York-based sports and entertainment production company that is behind the weekend matchups.

"We didn't want to be a generic sumo," he said, "we wanted it to be our vision of sumo, with a mixture of entertainment and music." But the S.U.M.O. matches at the Garden will not be scripted, the organizers say.

What is the deal, I wonder?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From your description alone, it sounds to me like a spinoff from pro "wrestling."

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
From your description alone, it sounds to me like a spinoff from pro "wrestling."
Agreed. It sounds like the WWE/WWF to me. I guess if it selss then they will do it.:erg:

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was my thought, though they explicitly said the outcomes would not be scripted.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
That was my thought, though they explicitly said the outcomes would not be scripted.
Isn't that what they said about pro wrestling, tho? back in the day?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, and my younger brother was totally a believer in it.

I think Kaith still is! :D

Anyway, I'd be curious to see S.U.M.O. Probably it'll be on ESPN2 ro some such thing at some time, I suppose.