Rules of Wing Chun

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=64IkjzGVdpQ

"My Sifu says that the Wing Chun forms were created after the techniques were established as a way to memorize the techniques."

"This means, regardless of who our teachers are or what lineage or Wing Chun style we’re doing, it will always be different than the way we learn it because our mind and body processes it differently. We all create our own style of Wing Chun when we learn and train. And that’s a good thing because through our differences we create new perspective that adds to the style.

So…what is the most important rule of Wing Chun? It is understanding yourself and using what works for you by adapting Wing Chun to you and not conforming to other people’s style or standards. Embrace the difference."

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
is it really techniques or the rule of wing chun is to be the most efficient way?

generally speaking i dont think there is a right way and wrong way in wing chun, more like a less efficient way. there is only so many ways to punch someone in the head depending on situation.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=64IkjzGVdpQ

"My Sifu says that the Wing Chun forms were created after the techniques were established as a way to memorize the techniques."

"This means, regardless of who our teachers are or what lineage or Wing Chun style we’re doing, it will always be different than the way we learn it because our mind and body processes it differently. We all create our own style of Wing Chun when we learn and train. And that’s a good thing because through our differences we create new perspective that adds to the style.

So…what is the most important rule of Wing Chun? It is understanding yourself and using what works for you by adapting Wing Chun to you and not conforming to other people’s style or standards. Embrace the difference."

Is there a point in which we cross that our version of a style can no longer be considered that style. That's not to say that you can't have variations. However; there is a certain point when we drift so far from the core concepts we can no longer be considered the same style. Is Kali still kail without destructions or stick work? Is tae kwon do still tae kwon do without kicks? Some systems have a more difficult time with this than others. Wing Chun is a style that has a very different approach than other styles. When you make numerous alterations to it over multiple generations you get what you see today. Which respectfully, a lot of wing chun schools don't even resemble wing chun anymore.

It is understanding yourself and using what works for you by adapting Wing Chun to you and not conforming to other people’s style or standards

It's not about conforming to other people. However; the standards in wing chin have declined in the past years. You see a lot of schools that have abandoned the center line concept. A lot of it is bad chi sao and lack of footwork.

I've studied Wing chun for a few years under two different instructors and have attended numerous seminars. I'm speaking from experience

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then I'd say that Sifu is wrong.

Not necessarily. People in the past didn't develop the Wing Chun forms in their entirety and THEN try to figure out how the techniques worked. Very likely they started with a collection of techniques that were either developed from experience, or borrowed from other styles that developed them from experience. They had a fighting method that they felt worked, and so started to string together the various techniques that they felt worked well into a longer form for practice and teaching. The forms represent the fighting style, the fighting style is not derived from the forms.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there a point in which we cross that our version of a style can no longer be considered that style. That's not to say that you can't have variations. However; there is a certain point when we drift so far from the core concepts we can no longer be considered the same style.

---I agree. In the past more than once I've pointed out JKD to illustrate this. JKD uses lots of concepts and techniques from Wing Chun. So is JKD a version of Wing Chun? Most would say no. Heck, there are even some JKD guys doing things that other JKD guys say is NOT JKD! ;)

It's not about conforming to other people.

---Again I agree. No one should be trying to be a carbon copy of their Sifu. You have to figure out how the techniques work for your body type. But that is also NOT justification for doing any ole thing you want and calling it Wing Chun! You may be boxing and using lots of Wing Chun elements like the angling, covering, and aggressiveness as was pointed out on another recent thread here. But that does not make what you are doing "pure Wing Chun." Rather it is boxing with some Wing Chun elements included, or a version of "Wing Chun Boxing."

---Another excuse for doing things that are questionable as Wing Chun that I have seen multiple times in the past is to quote Ip Chun (I think it was him?) who said "Everything that comes from my hands is Wing Chun!" This works fine if you have been doing Wing Chun for decades and it is so second nature that when you move it just comes out naturally! But most people using this justification are not quite there yet!

---All that said....again no one should be trying to be an exact copy of their teacher. And Wing Chun certainly has the flexibility to be used in various ways. A good student should be making Wing Chun their own and doing what they find works best for them. But their are limits and constraints to this, and as Anarax said....there is a point that can be crossed where what you are doing can no longer be called "Wing Chun."

Kungfu Tube

White Belt
Reaction score
My Grandmaster said to me once, you can learn Wing Chun off book and videos, as long as you keep the Wing Chun principles in mind.

Eg are you using too much strength muscle
Are you hands and feet traveling too much when striking, directness
Is what your learning breaking the centreline theory ...

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Grandmaster said to me once, you can learn Wing Chun off book and videos, as long as you keep the Wing Chun principles in mind.

Eg are you using too much strength muscle
Are you hands and feet traveling too much when striking, directness
Is what your learning breaking the centreline theory ...
Your..."grandmaster" ehh? LOL

It seems your "grandmaster" sold you some snake oil. With that said I have a rather lucrative offer for you regarding the purchase of a bridge in London...

Latest Discussions