Rules for Testing Technique - Draft Version

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait, i may have just butchered what a control is in this circumstance, i need to revisit this. Testing people is hard.
Definitely not easy. Hopefully before the end of August there were be enough information here to have really solid outline that's not too complicated.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We all need 2 different kind of teachers. Teacher who can teach us:

1. general knowledge (stance, drill, form, footwork, ...).
2. special knowledge (teacher's special fighting skill).
It think there would be less of the Kung Fu vs MMA drama if this was true for most schools. The scholar can be recognized as such without feeling that they have to save face by fighting. The fighter can be recognized as such without feeling that they have learn all of kung fu.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It think there would be less of the Kung Fu vs MMA drama if this was true for most schools. The scholar can be recognized as such without feeling that they have to save face by fighting. The fighter can be recognized as such without feeling that they have learn all of kung fu.
My teacher had never taught any of his students how to develop a strong head lock. One day I went to see him with blood all over my arm. I told him that I have heard to hang on a tree can develop a strong head lock. I have tried but my arm start to bleed so badly. After he saw that I was willing to develop my training time on that. He started to teach me the correct way of tree hanging by

- wrapping arm around tree, and
- twisting leg around the tree at the same time.

By transferring more body weight from the arm to the leg, my arm no longer bleed after that.

Many CMA teachers don't want to teach his favor fighting skill because not all students are willing to go through the hard training.

Every class I would ask my students to apply head lock on me. I have always told them that they are not there yet.

Last edited: