RPG Thread?

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is where the GM steps in to not allow things like that. Plus, in a play by post, the game is essentially on "pause" until you reply. I would never let someone say, "Okay, well GP Seymour isn't replying, so I take his character and throw him into a lava pool." Not gonna happen on MY watch.

Just my 2 cents now I'm home and ready to drone on.
**This is more in ref to specifically a DnD-esc thing where the forum's going on an adventure ;)

Play by post would work better if you did a collective approach more than an individual character approach.
Individual characters are better if you want a specific core of return players (which is more awkward on a public forum where people are coming/going all the time).

Don't delve into the details of people too much; set up the scene and react according to the replies you get, rather than waiting for specific replies from specific people. It'll include more people on a drop in/drop out basis.
Also means you don't have to faff to much about individual stats, inventory etc. You can just log in once per day and follow through with the reply that's first or has the most upvotes.

With regards to action success and failure instead of having dice rolls (one sided & hidden from everyone else) you could do a guess the number system whereby whoever is making a move tries to guess close to a number you've picked (not publicised) for the post between one and ten.
For example when trying to kick down a door & the dc (picked number) is 5 if the person guesses between 3-7 (+2 either way for a medium difficulty task) then you're successful.
Every action someone does, they have to pick a number and that'll define their success to you. Harder tasks have less lee-way and easier tasks have more lee-way.

I've done a similar forum post rpg-esc thing but it was king of the hill and we were all fighting each other. Was a good laugh and it worked for a fair while.

**Group decisions is normally where things start to fall apart so if you're running it you've got to make clear players have to accept whichever post you choose as the way forward (to keep it all moving at a reasonable pace). Don't railroad it though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only tabletop RPG I ever played (enough to really know the game, as opposed to a session or two...) was D&D and then AD&D.
I played (and wrote code for) AberMUD II, III, IV and V. Played a few other flavors of MUD, but not to any great extent.
Diablo I, II and III, in spurts. I play a lot, for a while, then stop. Currently stopped. Hoping to hear more than rumors about D4.
With the exception of MUD, this is mostly my story. Played D&D, then AD&D. Something else in high school a bit, but I forget what. Have played a bit of WoW, Shaiya (I think that's right), and similar games, finished Diablo I and II multiple times, and I think I remember finishing Diablo III.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when it was posted first time, to me a RPG is a rocket propelled grenade so I really wasn't interested lol!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't play much anymore. As a kid, I played d&d, Boot Hill, gamma world and top secret. Also played a game called Villains and Vigilantes.

In the military, I played some 2nd edition, and later have also enjoyed 3rd edition and pathfinder.

Back in the day, I played some Play by post, but that has to be well over a decade ago.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember Top Secret, but not Villains and Vigilantes.

I used to love Werewolf, but no one ever played it. They all wanted to play Vampire the Masquerade.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still have some friends that play. A couple (not in my area sadly) run campaigns in their homes for various games and one guild I semi-regularly play an MMORPG with (not WOW) run a campaign over VOIP. The number of table top games I have played has been down right silly. All the World of Darkness games (which I also LARPed long ago), Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020, D&D/AD&D, Shadowrun, Champions, Middle Earth RPG and Fading Suns. The last was a very cool one, very reminiscent of the Dune universe, a space-opera based in a Feudal society that is the remnants of an earlier more technologically advanced egalitarian society.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fading Suns sounds sweet.

There was one campaign setting for AD&D that I regret never running, and that was Planescape.