Confound these scouts, they drive me to drink

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, not the scouts....

But the parents.

Monday night we had to have a parent meeting, addressing a few issues, namely one mother being negative and outright unpleasant.

And she promptly walks out of the room....
So I continue, making no bones about it that she was the reason we had to set up house rules. :supcool:

Yes, the ole Gran was on a role....

Then mom comes back in, constantly rolling her eyes at everything I say, so I finally ask her "Is there a problem? Seems like your eyes are about to roll out of your head!"

Later I hear she was grumbling in front of the girls, something like "I don't want to be in the room with her (me), I can't stand her" :lol::lol:
Fine by me, lady, I don't like you much either.

But it seems like we are having an easy out: Either join the group $$ wise or stay home, because otherwise insurance won't cover her. :D

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
But it seems like we are having an easy out: Either join the group $$ wise or stay home, because otherwise insurance won't cover her. :D

Sounds like an amicable solution.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1- You need to change the title of your thread.
2- Some scout parents, just like some parents of any other organizations, are problematic.
3- Deal with it.
4- Ask them if they would like to be a team member and get with the program.
5- If not, cancel their membership.
6- I have experienced this a few times and I have no problem with enforcing #5.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Do the other parents agree that she is a problem? What sorts of things is she doing that you think are unpleasant or negative? Did you give her any warning that she was going to be the subject of the meeting, or did you ambush her?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do the other parents agree that she is a problem? What sorts of things is she doing that you think are unpleasant or negative? Did you give her any warning that she was going to be the subject of the meeting, or did you ambush her?

oh man, she is legendary.

I mean, I can't complain personally (she leaves me be, I am not interested in her antics), but she had my co-conspirators, I mean co-leaders completely upset.
it's a matter where she nags and puts down her husband in front of everybody, including girls, constantly complains, about everything, disrupts the meetings because she 'feels bad'. Walking makes her dizzy, but she can't stay in the assigned room, and wanders the hallway.

So we had complimented the parents out of the meeting room, and she keep popping in, when I suggested she'd be better off in the other room, she grunted like a mad bear at me! :lfao: Like one of them stuffed bears with a voice box inside!

The rules have been around for 2 weeks but I had them not printed yet because my leaders got to weigh in on the content. So no surprise. But the issue had been building. You know, it's kind of hard to not get upset when you had a death in the family (my assistant leader) and the missus B****es about having to take 15 medicines...does not drink water, only sweet stuff, stuffes her face when it's free, complains not having food after a 100 dollar grocery trip....If she felt ambushed...heaven help me, could not be avoided: She does not get nice. Does.not.get.it. So we had to be clearer.
not sure where this is moving with her, I'd hate to lose the girl, but I rather lose the girl than my leaders.
It was kind of funny, having a grown woman have basically a tantrum like a 3-4 year old child.

Oh, I gave them a ride home after the meeting, and she was surprisingly nice. :D
And I will be their ride to the meetings - assuming we get the $$ squared away.

(the title is a take on a stupid MLP video from youtube, a joke between my kid and me)
[yt]t_3ryX7Fhy0[/yt]

but like a dunce, I put this in the wrong section.
It's amusing - to me - but no game.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had a fantastic group of boy scouts in a couple weeks ago. Three groups, actually...two from CT and one in-state. All caravanned in early. One of the groups was really old school...they brought a bugler who played Reveille first thing in the morning. Or an attempt at Reveille. At 730pm the bugler played Taps and then....quiet. Great groups. This coming weekend may be my last weekend on the campground as a volunteer. I will come back next summer but until then, I will miss it a lot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had a fantastic group of boy scouts in a couple weeks ago. Three groups, actually...two from CT and one in-state. All caravanned in early. One of the groups was really old school...they brought a bugler who played Reveille first thing in the morning. Or an attempt at Reveille. At 730pm the bugler played Taps and then....quiet. Great groups. This coming weekend may be my last weekend on the campground as a volunteer. I will come back next summer but until then, I will miss it a lot.

Lights out at 7:30? I've never seen it before 10pm.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lights out at 7:30? I've never seen it before 10pm.

It gets cold very quickly on the mountain now. Subfreezing temps in early evenings. encourage everyone to bed down early...including us. They could be in their tent playing games or telling ghost stories for all I know. But they were quiet.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If her child enjoys scouting I feel bad for her child, they will not be able to go because mom is a problem

Yes, indeed.
But if mom runs off the volunteers the other girls don't get to scout either.

It's all about boundaries.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, indeed.
But if mom runs off the volunteers the other girls don't get to scout either.

It's all about boundaries.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying keep her because of her child if mom is disruptive...I am simply saying I feel bad for her child...if you could only get rid of the mom and keep the child....

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying keep her because of her child if mom is disruptive...I am simply saying I feel bad for her child...if you could only get rid of the mom and keep the child....

Yep, we are working on it. We like the girl. She is very pleasant to have around when sans parents.

Latest Discussions