Royalty

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was laways fascinated how certain cultures hold high regards to their royal subjects, King, Queen, Emperor, etc.

Interesting how GB, kept theirs whereas China and Japan "lost" theirs.

Thus, in realtion to martial arts, the very codes were also intwined with said royal figures.

How did GB keep theirs?

Why/how did China "lose" theirs?

And of course, per WWII, Japan was relieved of theirs-in what detail?

And last, I wonder, in China and Japan, has the bloodline (not the position) continued?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
And of course, per WWII, Japan was relieved of theirs-in what detail?
Japan has always, I believe, had an Emperor. The role of Shogun was phased out well before WWII.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I was laways fascinated how certain cultures hold high regards to their royal subjects, King, Queen, Emperor, etc.

1) Interesting how GB, kept theirs whereas China and Japan "lost" theirs.

2) Thus, in realtion to martial arts, the very codes were also intwined with said royal figures.

How did GB keep theirs?

3) Why/how did China "lose" theirs?

4) And of course, per WWII, Japan was relieved of theirs-in what detail?

5) And last, I wonder, in China and Japan, has the bloodline (not the position) continued?

1)Japan lost theirs? I think it might be news to the Imperial Family here in Japan then because they are still living in the same spot as they have for generations.

2)Were they? In which country?

3)Take a look at a few history books and you can figure that out.

4)Were they? How do you mean?

5)I met a relative of the late Emperor Pu Yi while I was in China. In Japan the Imperial bloodline has been unbroken for almost 1,000 years. The Japanese monarchy is the oldest continuous hereditary monarchy in the world. The imperial household recognizes one hundred twenty-five legitimate monarchs since the ascension of Jimmu Tennō. Most historians regard the first fourteen emperors (Jimmu to Chuai) as legendary figures. The reigning emperor, Akihito, is the one hundred twenty-fifth monarch in the official chronology.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was the communists, that removed the chinese (and russain royal families)

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Adept said:
Japan has always, I believe, had an Emperor. The role of Shogun was phased out well before WWII.

I think it was 1868~9 ish.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
It was the communists, that removed the chinese (and russain royal families)
Actually in China it was the Kuomintang (Sun Yat-sen / Chaing Kai-shek)that removed Pu Yi & the Qing Dynasty. The Communist just finished it it outright.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find the whole subject of royal and noble titles fascinating...but a bit silly in 2005.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I find the whole subject of royal and noble titles fascinating...but a bit silly in 2005.

Why? The system isn't exactly extinct, take a look around many of the Arab countries and take a look at who rules many of these countries.

Lamont

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Why? The system isn't exactly extinct
What I took his comment to mean was that if a strict hereditary monarchy was to be proposed today as a valid form of government, to most western nations, it would be laughed out of the room.

The system isn't extinct, but in most western nations it is vestigial, at best.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well as a UK citizen, and a resident of Denmark, which are both nations of a monarchy, I am more than happy to call myself an anti-royalist.

I distinctly dislike paying people to do bugger all as the royals do, especially if the people doing bugger all also get everything for free, and are tax exempt.
Above all the financial considerations, the monarchy in the UK only serves to propagate the already overwhelming class system, something I think we could all do without.
A lot of people tend to forget that royals are still just human beings, and their blood isn't really blue...

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well the Uk scrapped the King around the time of the Civil War. Cut his head off. Goodbye Charles 1.

Then Cromwell (Lord Protector of everyone except the King) banned dancing, singing, football, drinking and fun.

Pretty soon after that we were saying hello to Charles 2. The 'Merry Monarch'.

All the boring people went over to the States to be Puritan over there.

Now the States has an unwritten rule that you must be a son of a President or Senator, if you want to be a President. Who knows how long before you lot have a King?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bod said:
All the boring people went over to the States to be Puritan over there.
Yep. My family came over in 1602. We're still puritans and still boring. :)

Bod said:
Now the States has an unwritten rule that you must be a son of a President or Senator, if you want to be a President. Who knows how long before you lot have a King?
:lol: HAHAHAHA...ahem...you were kidding, right?

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Give me royalty anyday but let them run the country and abolish the government.
Look at the idiot we elected in Australia, he makes stupid decisions then blames everyone else.
At least with a king or queen you cant be blamed for giving them the power to make stupid decisions and the buck stops somewhere.

T

TonyM.

My third cousin is Georgio I of Seborga. The oldest constitutional monarchy in the world. He's an elected Prince, not hereditary. Best of both worlds?

Latest Discussions