Roundhouse Kick Help - Because of physical reasons must wear TKD shoes

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

As always, I truly appreciate your tips.

I am having trouble with paddle kicking and roundhouse kicks. Specifically, I have trouble making the pad "snap" when contacted with the foot. I have to wear TKD shoes when I train. I can't get around that fact. My instructor wants me to strike with the top of my foot. I find this difficult.

I am 38 have come to TKD later in life. I am not looking to be Bruce Lee but would like to have a crisp technique. Any suggestions to help my progress would be great.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well we do leg left you know bringing the knee up to your waist, plus we get our people to point there toes down to the floor this helps getting yourself in that position all the time. We ask the people to do three set of fifty each side every other night for a couple of weeks and it has always help.

If you are having trouble turning in the shoes, try some slide right, they use that for bowling and it will allow you to turn over the hip so you can generate more power.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey there youngster (I'll be 44 in a few weeks). Not too many details in your post. Are you having a hard time making contact with the top of your foot? Ankle flexibility has been an issue for me. I just work diligently at it. All I can say there is it takes time and dedication...work at it everyday. Also, if the pad is not "snapping", are you kicking through the paddle? There should be some follow through and your kick should end up well on the other side of where the paddle was being held.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey there youngster (I'll be 44 in a few weeks). Not too many details in your post. Are you having a hard time making contact with the top of your foot? Ankle flexibility has been an issue for me. I just work diligently at it. All I can say there is it takes time and dedication...work at it everyday. Also, if the pad is not "snapping", are you kicking through the paddle? There should be some follow through and your kick should end up well on the other side of where the paddle was being held.

Yes, I am having trouble making contact with the top of the foot. It seems "natural" to hit with the tip/toe area of the shoe, because I have a very hard time getting my foot to flex.

I will try kicking through the paddle like you suggested. This is primarily a problem during speed kicking drills.

Thank you for your advice.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see ankle flex and hip turnover as a couple of issues you might be having.

I stretch my feet and ankles before classes, including sitting on my feet with toes straight out. It's a little tougher with shoes, but you should improve if you keep working on that foot/ankle flex.

What part of your foot hits the paddle is heavily influenced by hip turnover, which controls knee and foot. I suggest slowing down your kick and looking at what you're doing with hip and knee.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Imagine that your power comes from your hips and knee as it unfolds and that it is dragging your foot along for the ride. If you relax your ankle your foot naturally bends backwards and your toes will trail. Basically the foot is passive in the kick and is dragged along by the rest of the leg. Do not tense the ankle, let it relax and move naturally.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
just sit on your feet in a kneeling position. This will stretch your ankles and instep for striking. See image below as an illustration. Maybe 2 to 3 minutes twice a day should do. Then make sure to point your toes when kicking, don't pull back the toes as most beginners do. It takes time but if you think about it with each kick you will get the hang of it.

PTOW-78.1.jpg

Latest Discussions