Roots of U.S. Air Force Judo

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don’t let them get to you. After moving there I found that the only Judo player who had ever trained in Japan/Okinawa or had ever been in international competition was me! Most of them must have gotten their promotions from a Cracker Jack box because they certainly were unknown to the rest of us. :supcool:

I am not sure it was some much the official USJA Vs USJF organizations that caused the problems there. I had been in the JBBF for some years before my old buddies broke off from them to take our AFJA to form the USJA. Can’t remember exactly when it happened but Mertens or someone else wrote me that it was happening and I could be a life member if I would pay $100. I sent it off right away but still ended up as #139. Most of my students in the 1970’s were of Cuban heritage and spoke flawless English. By the time I left many had reverted to their versions of Spanish. The different groups hate each other. The Mexicans hate Cubans so much they sneer at us Gringos attempting to speak their lingo – the accent or wording is different and they can tell.

I had been a shodan for 9 years when the JA was out doing a clinic and forced me to test. I made nidan and sandan in record time, but fell back to my old way and it took 20 years more until they promoted me to yodan. I still have my godan and rokudan papers that I never paid for. My shodan membership in the JBBF was 1-1988 and I always thought that meant I would be nidan in 1988 :ultracool :jedi1:

The only jujitsu guy I know there is Frank Payne. He ran a Judo club in a middle school close to where I lived down in Cutler Ridge. I always thought he would kill himself driving in Miami because he was a blind as a bat! Haven’t spoken with him since 1980 maybe. Another guy I knew well was a nidan in Aikido and he worked with me at the Sylvania Club. I barely knew Jack what’s-his-name who ran the USJF there. He always treated me nicely but other JA guys hated him.

Someday when all the players in the big drama are gone then Judo will have a chance. You have to remember that we were fighting an up hill battle with the Japanese-Americans during those early days. Many of my friends were nisei (2nd. Generation) and some friendships were lost because of the older Japanese Judo sensei just would never accept that a round-eye could excel in Judo. One of my best nisei buddies could never get over the fact that I went to the Kodokan and beat the hell out of 6 ikkyu to earn shodan. Six of their finest! Hey, nobody told I wasn’t supposed to do that. :ultracool

Remember, just practice and forget the idiot politics. Rank don't mean diddly squat anyway, so don't worry about it. Remember this -- The Master said: “Do not worry about lack of fame; worry about lack of ability.” :asian:

W

whackjob-san

There's a ton of jujutsu schools down here now. There's a Gracie school on every other corner from Delray to Homestead. There's a Miyama-ryu school down here that I encourage everyone to NOT go to, and a Niseido Jujutsu school that's awesome, it's run by Prof. Rick Riccardi who studied under Prof. Vee and judo master Kioshi Shiina. (And then of course there's my Binkan-ryu club!) Aikido is harder to come by, at least good aikido.

I was looking to buy a piece of land up in Sebring, it was just a little to far for me to reach my customers. It's nice around that area, once you hit the highlands.

-Ken

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately Sebring is growing and their lights are encroaching into my dark sky. I am an astronomer and picked this location for the steady and dark sky. Oh well.

D

Disco

Jeff, from your previous post. I barely knew Jack what’s-his-name who ran the USJF there. He always treated me nicely but other JA guys hated him.

Would that be Jack Stern?

OP
jeffbeish

jeffbeish

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Moments of revived memory tells me it was Jack Williams. Haven't seen him in 30 years! Never heard of Jack Stern

Jeff

VicY

White Belt
Reaction score
jeff

I just found this site and am looking for people who might remember or know of Leonard Carter, I train with him in South Carolina. Just doing a little personal research on him.

Any info you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Latest Discussions