Rolled ankle injury ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lol.. okeydokey!

The body only heals itself if you let it. But some things do need attention, care and skill that you can't give it to heal.

Sometimes it's totally, 100%, absolutely okay to ask for help. Doesn't make one weak, stupid, or a crybaby.

There's a lesson I learned the hard way

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah right, yeah you'll get them types ;).

I did read that sprains can awhile to heal, and I figure because I have to walk on it all the time it's not exactly going to be a quick heal. But will see what the ultrasound says. It's definitely getting better, just really really slowly, just still hurts and still doesn't feel like I've got full range of motion yet.
If I had to guess (and that's all it is), you've managed to get a secondary injury. I do this all the time. Just as a primary injury is healing, I do more than I should, but am very careful with the primary injury. Of course, that compensation puts strain somewhere else. Usually, it's the opposing limb, but sometimes it's something in the support for the original joint.

But, as I said, that's just a guess. And based on some pretty weak evidence. And posted very early in the morning.

So, go with that, and cancel your imaging appointment! :D

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had to guess (and that's all it is), you've managed to get a secondary injury. I do this all the time. Just as a primary injury is healing, I do more than I should, but am very careful with the primary injury. Of course, that compensation puts strain somewhere else. Usually, it's the opposing limb, but sometimes it's something in the support for the original joint.

But, as I said, that's just a guess. And based on some pretty weak evidence. And posted very early in the morning.

So, go with that, and cancel your imaging appointment! :D
Haha done! :)

Yeah compensatory movements can be a shocker in that way, it's very possible!

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you still in pain? My two cents, you’re gonna be doing martial arts the rest of your life right? Just stop for a week or two, let it totally heal. You’ll get back on the horse just a few days back into practice. Not worth dragging it on, even if it only hurts a little bit; it’ll only take longer to heal. It takes a lot to push through an injury and continue practice. It takes even more to know when you need to take a break and sit home.

Last edited:
OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you still in pain? My two cents, you’re gonna be doing martial arts the rest of your life right? Just stop for a week or two, let it totally heal. You’ll get back on the horse just a few days back into practice. Not worth dragging it on, even if it only hurts a little bit; it’ll only take longer to heal. It takes a lot to push through an injury and continue practice. It takes even more to know when you need to take a break and sit home.
Cheers spidersam, yeah totally agree. I have actually had quite a few weeks off, still going to help in kid's karate, but even so still had breaks from that where there was little to no training. As I'm still in between styles when I finished up my last trial I've been on break since really, but still in pain. It is definitely better than it was, but still not great. Ultrasound tomorrow though.

Just don't know how much rest I do unless I literally just stop walking on it. I may have to end up just stopping everything, will see. Crutches would be fun though!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers spidersam, yeah totally agree. I have actually had quite a few weeks off, still going to help in kid's karate, but even so still had breaks from that where there was little to no training. As I'm still in between styles when I finished up my last trial I've been on break since really, but still in pain. It is definitely better than it was, but still not great. Ultrasound tomorrow though.

Just don't know how much rest I do unless I literally just stop walking on it. I may have to end up just stopping everything, will see. Crutches would be fun though!
Let us know what they find, Simon. Have they told you when you should expect to get results?

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just got back from my ultrasound.... He spent awhile looking at it, and eventually got a doctor to come in and look too. Ligament hasn't fully come away, but it's actually partially torn... there's also something else in there they're not sure what is, fluid or remnants of something maybe from previous injury. Can't remember which ligament is partially torn, maybe the Anterior talofibular ligament...

He said even though he's not allowed to give advice he recommended laying off training, just so it heals longterm..... am really quite devastated about that... :(

Am seeing the doctor Friday to discuss the results...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my ultrasound.... He spent awhile looking at it, and eventually got a doctor to come in and look too. Ligament hasn't fully come away, but it's actually partially torn... there's also something else in there they're not sure what is, fluid or remnants of something maybe from previous injury. Can't remember which ligament is partially torn, maybe the Anterior talofibular ligament...

He said even though he's not allowed to give advice he recommended laying off training, just so it heals longterm..... am really quite devastated about that... :(

Oof. Well, better to know what's needed. I've tried training through a tear - it has never gone well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

he hasn't told you to stop"training," he has told you to stop jumping about on it ?

use the opportunity to build your upper body strength, endurance and then you get some rehabilitation exercises to increase blood flow and build strenth

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadder but wiser, Simon. It could always be worse. I just heard of an ikkyu at a dojo we are very friendly with tore their ACL and aggravated their MCL. They were scheduled for their Shodan grading in less than 2 weeks. They will be off for at least a year to rehabilitate the knee then they will have to get ready AGAIN for the Shodan grading. Being in their mid 40's/early 50's, that is a serious injury that will not be easy to recover from and get back on the horse.

Good luck and take the time off to let it heal properly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadder but wiser, Simon. It could always be worse. I just heard of an ikkyu at a dojo we are very friendly with tore their ACL and aggravated their MCL. They were scheduled for their Shodan grading in less than 2 weeks. They will be off for at least a year to rehabilitate the knee then they will have to get ready AGAIN for the Shodan grading. Being in their mid 40's/early 50's, that is a serious injury that will not be easy to recover from and get back on the horse.

Good luck and take the time off to let it heal properly.
Yeah, my brother now has a "zombie knee", after having a ligament replaced with one taken from a cadaver. That took a long time for him to recover from.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He said even though he's not allowed to give advice he recommended laying off training, just so it heals longterm..... am really quite devastated about that..
lol.. same thing I said earlier on. I could have saved you money lol

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement. Was quite upset and still am a bit, training seems to be the only thing keeping me sane at the moment as it's a bit of a tough time anyway.. but I understand the need for rest.

I honestly thought I had been taking it really easy and not doing much training at all on it, being very careful, but now need to cut everything with impact that uses the ankle area. Thanks @jobo that's nice to hear actually, I'm definitely trying to see what opportunities it's opening me up to focus on rather than what doors it's closing.

My docs appointment got moved to today. Doc this morning said the same as the ultrasound person... so yeh definitely a partial tear, the x-ray came up ok but that thing they weren't sure what it was could be a bone fragment.. so am gonna have a CT scan (tomorrow morning managed to get in) which will give a better picture if there are any fractures the x-ray missed, and said I may have to see the Orthopedic fracture clinic, and depending on how that goes get a cast and then physiotherapy. But if it's a bone fragment then possible surgery.. so possibly a bit worse than initially thought... :s

Asked about whether it's best to get crutches and she said it's up to me really, but just to try keep weight off it until we know more info. If I've been walking on it all this time and it hasn't healed may have to consider crutches..

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
[
Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement. Was quite upset and still am a bit, training seems to be the only thing keeping me sane at the moment as it's a bit of a tough time anyway.. but I understand the need for rest.

I honestly thought I had been taking it really easy and not doing much training at all on it, being very careful, but now need to cut everything with impact that uses the ankle area. Thanks @jobo that's nice to hear actually, I'm definitely trying to see what opportunities it's opening me up to focus on rather than what doors it's closing.

My docs appointment got moved to today. Doc this morning said the same as the ultrasound person... so yeh definitely a partial tear, the x-ray came up ok but that thing they weren't sure what it was could be a bone fragment.. so am gonna have a CT scan (tomorrow morning managed to get in) which will give a better picture if there are any fractures the x-ray missed, and said I may have to see the Orthopedic fracture clinic, and depending on how that goes get a cast and then physiotherapy. But if it's a bone fragment then possible surgery.. so possibly a bit worse than initially thought... :s

Asked about whether it's best to get crutches and she said it's up to me really, but just to try keep weight off it until we know more info. If I've been walking on it all this time and it hasn't healed may have to consider crutches..
Wow. they are really going all out with the testing.. Hopefully it's nothing that requires surgery.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
[

Wow. they are really going all out with the testing.. Hopefully it's nothing that requires surgery.
Thanks mate.. yeah it's only really because of that strange big white spot they found. If it was just a partially torn ligament would probably just be rest it up, but he even showed me the white spot on the ultrasound screen and he was a little puzzled..

Strange that the x-ray didn't pick it up but a CT will give a better detailed view.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A few thoughts. Remember I have zero medical training, so just sharing what I think I know.

First, from what I understand, the surgery for removing a bone fragment isn't a big deal. It'll be sore, but shouldn't add any significant recovery time.

I can't remember if you do any teaching. If you do, this is a good time to focus on developing your teaching skills. When I had my knee surgery, I spent a lot of time at the dojo watching classes and coaching - first from the bench (literal bench for visitors), and later from the mats, but without doing any significant movement, myself. I learned a lot during that time, and came out the other side with better technique (not just teaching) than before the surgery.

If it was me, I'd opt for the crutches. Not because they are necessary, but because it would keep me from forgetting to take it easy on that ankle. You may be less absent-minded than me, so might not need them for that purpose.

Latest Discussions