Ripcords?

P

pknox

I've seen the ripcords advertised in the Century catalog - the ones that come in the various colors that each offer different resistance levels. Whenever I've seen a picture of someone using them, it seems they're always kicking. Would these be good for punching as well? I know that Ringside and Everlast carry similar products. Has anybody used ripcords in their training, and if so, what did you think? I'm especially interested in any feedback people have regarding using them for punching.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not familiar with "rip cords" but are they anything like thick rubber bands? We used to do a drill at our studio with a bunch of thick rubber bands linked together to make a long rope- you would put the end around one hand, then pass it behind your back and grab it with the other hand. From our horse stances then, we would practice our punches. They worked great for resistance training and helped with form I think too.

:asian: :karate:

OP
P

pknox

Shodan:

They pretty much are rubber bands, just with open handle grips on each end (like plastic versions of the ones you see guys using for cable crossovers at the gym). I guess offering them in different, easily identifiable resistance levels differentiates them a little too. But in function, yup, they're basically the same.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used these things when I was in PT for my knee, but I have never used them in training.

Latest Discussions