Riddle me this?

Can you have any one the three with out an element of one of the others?

• Tactic & Strategy & Technique

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Tactic & Strategy

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Tactic & Technique

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strategy & Technique

• Tactics Alone

• Strategy Alone

• Technique Alone

• MIlitary & Leo Training is the only place to get good Tactics & Strategy

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Anyone can learn - given oppurtunity

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Rich Go to bed it is past your bed time

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spin Off

I started this thread to try to get more poeple into the discussion.

I started this thread to not limit the discussion to Modern Arnis or FMA or even Hockey.

I started this thread in the General Area for everyone to read and discuss.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich,
I like this one too. Not trying to steer anyone away from this, just offer another thread for those who want another venue.

Paul M

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can have any one of the three without a single element of the other two - but it isn't a good idea. Learning how to combine them all together is what we train to do.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is difficult to answer the survey, because the combination of answers that I would choose is not there.

Many have touched on the same views that I have, but I would like to present it in my own words for the sake of discussion.

First, definitions of words rely greatly on their use in sentences, and the interpretation of those involved. For instance, the word "fence" can be a noun to describe a barrier between parcels of land, or it can be a verb to describe the act of fighting with a sword.

The word "technique" can be broadly applied to any skill, including the application of tactics. However, in a specific sense (especially in the context of the Martial Art), the individual techniques are movements of the body: skillful execution of strikes, holds, and throws, etc.

I define the words in the survey as follows:

Strategy: A pre-conceived plan with a goal, or objective in mind.

[American Heritage Dictionary: def.2 "A plan of action resulting from strategy or intended to accomplish a specific goal. See synonyms at plan."]

Technique: Skill of movement. The physical demonstration of scientific principles creating art in motion.

[American Heritage Dictionary: def.2a "The way in which the fundamentals, as of an artistic work, are handled. b. Skill or command in handling such fundamentals. See synonyms at art."]

Tactic: A procedure or methodology. The decision making process by which techniques and methods are used to accomplish a goal in support of a strategy, or in the absence thereof.

[American Heritage Dictionary: Tactic: "An expedient for achieving a goal; a maneuver." Tactics: def.1a "The military science that deals with securing objectives set by strategy, especially the technique of deploying and directing troops, ships, and aircraft in effective maneuvers against an enemy." def.2 "A procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal."]

Now, my interpretation of these definitions.

Strategy is a plan which implies the use of tactics and techniques, but exists before the implementation, therefore it can stand alone without tactics or techniques.
Actions with an intent or purpose are tactics, or techniques in application, and may occur as the result of a pre-planned strategy, or without any strategy.

Techniques can exist alone without strategy or tactics.
A person can have skill in performing techniques, but have no goal in mind thus lacking a plan or strategy to attain a goal, thereby not having any need to apply tactics. Executing a punch or kick in the air, is the demonstration of a technique without tactical application.

Tactics automatically use techniques (good or bad ones), therefore can not exist without technique, but can exist with or without a pre-planned strategy.
Tactics are typically associated with the implementation of a strategy using techniques. Building a house, for example - - the goal is to complete the house. The strategy, or plan is everything that must be brought together to accomplish the goal - how do I go about getting it done. A good strategy should include contingency plans (plan A, B, C, etc.) in case something goes wrong.

The tactics are the methods in which the workers go about doing the construction. The techniques are the "tools" and the "skills" which they implement to accomplish the tactics in working toward the goal. A person could start building a house without having a plan, or a strategy in place, but the moment they put their tools (techniques and skills) to use, they are using tactics. The skills might be good or poor, and they may lack the "pre-planning" stage, but they are working toward a goal.

Using a hammer to drive a nail into a piece of wood is a skill, or "technique." Driving a nail with the purpose, and intent of connecting two boards together is a tactic for accomplishing an immediate goal. Nailing several boards together in a sequence to construct a house are tactics in support of a "strategy" working toward a pre-planned goal.

upnorthkyosa said:
It's very difficult to separate technique from tactic in this type of situation, which is reminiscent of a fight. A punch is just a punch. And so is a kick. Nobody just punches or kicks though. They have a target in mind and a desired effect they would like to see. So, in MA, I think that tactics and techniques are one in the same.
I understand what you are saying here, and I agree that these two things do tend to blend together in application, but that is the key difference. Like the difference between "potential" and "kinetic" - what could happen, and what does happen. Upnorthkyosa, you said "they have a target in mind and a desired effect..." That is where the transition from technique to tactic occurs. A technique executed in the air has no specific goal to accomplish against an opponent.......yet. However, when it is applied to a goal, it becomes a "tactical technique." It has a purpose. The combinations of tactical techniques that a person chooses to apply in any given situation is their "tactic." If that tactic works to support a pre-planned strategy, then it is working toward a strategic goal.

In a fight, my goal is mainly to survive, and perhaps prevail and win the fight. My strategy is the pre-planned methods I intend to use (distancing to avoid contact, aggressive attacks or sneaky counter-attacks, mostly strikes, or all take-downs and holds). If my opponent is stronger than I first estimated, then I might avoid grappling, and change my initial strategy to an alternate plan.

My tactics are the specific techniques that I choose to use, in which order of combinations, and how I respond to what my opponent does (the things you can not plan in advance).
Rich Parsons said:
As Patton ( I think ) and Marvin pointed out here, no Plan survives first encounter.
This is where "strategy" becomes "tactics." The moment your plans are met with opposition, and you must make "on-the-spot decisions," you are utilizing tactics. These tactics might still conform to one of your original plans, or they might depart completely to a new "improvised" plan. This is what we usually call "thinking on your feet."

CM D.J. Eisenhart